Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    I'd have no problem with my genome made public, as long as my name was nowhere to be seen. I don't see how the name is useful for scientific purposes anyway. All they need to know is: File number 32736134: hispanic male, 33, 187cm tall, etc etc.
    Yeah, that's the typical way the study is done. They give you a reference number and you provide them with a sample and whatever other information you elect to provide.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing as how I'm biochemical train wreck, I think they could learn a lot from my sample. I think this would be really cool and fun to do, but only if it doesn't involve needles. NO NEEDLES.

This is awesome. The opportunity to be part of a project that could spawn God only knows how many medical advances and improvements for the entire human race is amazing. How great would it be if my data happened to be the catalyst that made something click in some researcher's head, and he then came up with a cure for cancer? Or if researchers 4 centuries in the future are going over ancient historical data and find the key to solving some problem they're dealing with then? Hell, maybe I could wake up in the year 4612 as a clone and get to see the future. I'm okay with it being possible for someone to dig enough information out of the file to identify me. I don't particularly want my name stamped on it, but even that wouldn't bother me all that much. As much as I like to believe that I'm the center of the universe, I'm just not that special. No one is going to care enough about little old me to track me down specifically and cause trouble.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I'm confused... What is risky about this? I see only positive things as a result of doing this
    Theoretically, if an insurance company puzzled out which genome was yours and determined that your genes made you at a higher risk of testicular cancer or something, they could decide not to cover you or to charge you double the going rate. An employer could decide not to hire you perhaps. Or maybe you'd find out something about your ancestry you didn't want to know, like that your father isn't really your father, or that you have no Irish heritage despite your grandfather being full Irish.

I'm confused... What is risky about this? I see only positive things as a result of doing this
    I've been digging into the website, and they list out a few (unlikely, but still very possible) consequences. The most common problem would probably be that you could find out that your father isn't the one who contributed genes when you were created. You could find out that you have a genetic marker indicating a high likelihood of having a very unpleasant and totally incurable disease. You could have a false positive for some disease marker and spend a lot of time, money, and stress figuring that out. Some evil dude could pose as a researcher, get hold of cultures from the cells you send in, and leave them as DNA evidence at a crime, thus framing you. A life insurance company could figure out who you are and deny you coverage because of increased chances of developing X disease. Some researcher could clone you without your knowledge or consent, or combine your DNA with someone else's and make a biological child of yours.

I think the benefits would far outweigh the risks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, we had a lecture about it past monday and I was joking like "Oh, I'd do that and paper my walls with it if it weren't too expensive." (Actually, it's quite awesome having it and the wallpaper thing was the joke part). It'd be quite awesome to have it done, as I like genetics.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

If they publicly share my genome, someone could clone me, then send the clone to kill me and take my place. then the clone might start doing all kinds of evil things, attempting global domination before my clone is killed and I'll go down in history as a monster!!!!

/BLIND PAAAANIIIIIIC!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    If they publicly share my genome, someone could clone me, then send the clone to kill me and take my place. then the clone might start doing all kinds of evil things, attempting global domination before my clone is killed and I'll go down in history as a monster!!!!

/BLIND PAAAANIIIIIIC!
    Heh, in my case, the clone would end up being 30 years younger than me. Even if someone mistook me for a one year old, I think I could probably withstand the one year old's assassination attempts. You never know though. I mean it *would* have my genetics after all!

Honestly genetic screening and genome sequencing should become the norm for the next generation upon birth or maybe even in the womb.

The future of medicine is in indivdualized care as every person reacts differently to different medicines and sometimes even to the same diseases. Thus, having your own genome mapped means that you can be prescribed things that will not make you suffer worse symptoms than the disease to be cured.

"Looks like these specific genes are the culprit for tumor growth in this cancer patient; maybe if we can provide therapy for that gene we might be able to increase his survival because chemotherapy would be far too much risk for little reward".
    Last edited by Flaks; 2012-11-21 at 07:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    I thought this was about Gnomes... I have no idea what a genome is, and that makes me happy.

It's basically the entire genetic sequence of someones DNA, meaning you can track for specific traits & diseases within a particular member of a family or look for signs of offspring inheriting diseases if said person decides they want to start a family.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Would you consider doing something like this, or is it too risky? Would you be afraid of what it might tell you about your family or about your potential medical future? Is genetic advancement important to you?
    nah they probably wouldnt be able to process timelord dna anyways O-O
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Ah, only US, pity I might do it if it was here too.
    No, it's explicitly not private. They won't sell it to anyone, because it will be publicly available for anyone. What they will do for you is they give you the data privately for 30 days prior to posting it publicly. If you don't want them to post it, you can notify them during that time and they won't. If you don't stop them from posting it though, it will become publicly available. You can ask them at any time to take the info down, but that doesn't mean that other organizations who snagged the information will also take it down.

The whole point of the study, though, is to make genetic data available to all scientists, since that's often the best way to advance science.
    I don't mind the genetic information being released, sust that I don't want it to be associated with my name by everyone. So they can make the data known, even my responses to questions as long as no names appear.

Theoretically, if an insurance company puzzled out which genome was yours and determined that your genes made you at a higher risk of testicular cancer or something, they could decide not to cover you or to charge you double the going rate. An employer could decide not to hire you perhaps. Or maybe you'd find out something about your ancestry you didn't want to know, like that your father isn't really your father, or that you have no Irish heritage despite your grandfather being full Irish.
    heh, my that last thing happened to my grandpa. had his genetics analyzed & turned out he wasnt related to his grandfather. apparently my ancestresses got around...

Definitely sounds like it has some benefits for finding medication over your lifetime. Still, once this technology gets more advanced/cheaper, Gattaca will happen.

The only gap is having everyone submit to this, and the information being available to employers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    [...] Some evil dude could pose as a researcher, get hold of cultures from the cells you send in, and leave them as DNA evidence at a crime, thus framing you. [...]
    Dammit, they stole my idea! No but seriously, I was thinking about it last night. This doesn't sound that implausible. The evil dude doesn't even need to know the identity behind the DNA. Just pick a culture sample at random and there it is. I'll sue Hollywood if they steal my awesome plot!

I don't know, I saw a documentary about it a while back called Something-something Episode II: Attack of the clones... Not 100% sure on the title. Anyway, they used some sort of age acceleration technology to make 'em age faster. If they've got that sort of technology, your clone will catch up to you age-wise in no time at all.
    I think I watched that documentary too... wasn't it one of those David Attenborough ones? Certainly not his best work :/
    PS: you crack me up XD
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I read "I've signed up to have my gnome sequined" and I was like "oh interesting, sparkles!"

Deleted
    Ah Genome hacking, the possible threat of the future. I'd do it for scientific research though.