Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Smile What OS do you use, and why?

Hey Champs

Just a small question. What OS do you use, and why do you use that OS over another?

I personally use Windows 7. Havent seen anything yet to make me wanna change to Windows 8, and I never took the time to learn how to use Linux OS's.

10+ Year Old Account
    I work with linux and windows and at home I use win 7. As for windows 8 I have two suggestions 1) wait till next patch release to fix bugs 2) get it if you own a tablet...makes less sense on desktops imo.

Linux...free stuff 'nuff said. While some stuff tends to be buggy and support at times is...sketchy. That being said linux is very usefull for Database servers such as FreeNAS and VoiP servers as Asterisks+FreePBX really nifty stuff.

Windows...well I'm biased to anything windows ...especially servers...but that's due to my education/certifications. I kinda like win 8 but I would hold off till patch/i get a tablet

Macs...I personally dislike the UI...just the lack of concepts of no right-click for option menus frustrates me at times. Mac hardware is nice ...but I'd put windows on it. Unless you are doing professional photo-shop/ movie rendering/editing Mac software tends to be a bit better but I can find a "at least as good as" windows counterpart.

If you want to tinker with a Linux OS try xUbuntu it is more user-friendly for a consumer standpoint. You can put it on a USB stick and boot from it without installing it on your PC and it won't affect rest of you set ups.

PM me if you have questions I'm happy to geek out over PC stuff

I use Linux for programming and server administration.

Windows 8 for everything else.

OS X Because I have a Macbook laptop and don't see any reason to dual boot on it.

Windows 7 for me because I feel very comfortable with it and it's really easy to use

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noziroh View Post
    Hey Champs

Just a small question. What OS do you use, and why do you use that OS over another?

I personally use Windows 7. Havent seen anything yet to make me wanna change to Windows 8, and I never took the time to learn how to use Linux OS's.

I use Mac OS X Lion (not mountain lion), and I also use Windows 7. I like both, but I think Windows 7 is at the point now where I'm starting to like it more than OS X, though OS X is still far superior to XP.

I'm still kinda thinking about trying out Windows 8.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Windows 7, because it was the current Windows OS at the time of putting my computer together.

I use Windows 7 because we all know Microsoft can't make two good OS' in a row.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
    I wish I had never upgraded to Lion. Snow Leopard was the best of the Mac OS's.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

OS X, because unix + proper programs = win.

Quote Originally Posted by gnlogic View Post

Macs...I personally dislike the UI...just the lack of concepts of no right-click for option menus frustrates me at times. Mac hardware is nice ...but I'd put windows on it. Unless you are doing professional photo-shop/ movie rendering/editing Mac software tends to be a bit better but I can find a "at least as good as" windows counterpart.
    Macs have had right click functionality for a while now. Not sure which version of the OS you are using. If you have a mouse with 2 buttons you can right click. If you have a mouse with only one button you can control click to bring up the menus. Also, many Mac mice which appear to have only one button actually have two button functionality, but you need to configure it in the mouse preferences panel.

I work as a graphic design professional so I am pretty use to working on a Mac. I have also worked at places that use PC's. I prefer the Mac, but I dont really think one OS is leaps and bounds above the other in terms of ease of use or functionality (for what I need to do a least).

10+ Year Old Account
    I use windows 8 now, only because I have yet to see as good of performance playing wow on linux. I have never gotten about 12 fps using wine or other frameworks or emulators. I currently avaerage65-72 fps in busy cities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Win8Pro on my desktop
    locally in VMs:
    server 2k8 (3 instances)
    server 2k12 (3 instances)
    7pro (2 instances)
    freebsd

ESXi on my primary server, but i'll probably be switching that to hyper-v 2k12
    on the server:
    4 instances of 2k8r2
    2 instances of freebsd
    1 instance of centos

7 ult on my htpc

7 home and Sabayon 10 on my laptop

7 home on pretty much everything else

2k8r2-workstation on my testing server

and freebsd(pfsense) for my router

Windows 7, because I haven't had time to get rid of it yet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Windows 7 because that's the one I'm familiar with I guess.

Mountain Lion with Windows 7 running in a virtual terminal on my 2nd scene.

Why? I have been a Mac user for near 20 years. Every few years I get the itch to build a hardcore Windows box. I'll use it for a while but before long I am back on my Mac. I can now do most everything I need to do on my Mac and for the other stuff I can use my VT.
    Last edited by TxAg; 2012-11-21 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnlogic View Post
    A) You probably shouldn't tell him to use Linux without warning him how different the software installation process is than windows. APT can be difficult for new guys to deal with. Most kids haven't even seen a CLI outside of movies. Even harder if their software package isn't in the repository. God forbid you have to install your NIC drivers manually because they weren't pre-packaged with Ubuntu. And if all that's available is the binary and you have to compile it yourself? Fuckin forget about it.

B) Drivers and firmware installation is still nowhere near as easy on Linux as with Windows and there's not even a guarantee his hardware will function. For example, I tried installing Precise Pangolin on an old PC of mine only to find that there were absolutely no native drivers that worked with the Broadcom BCM4321 wireless chipset.

C) Getting DirectX to work on a Linux machine is a several-day process if you don't know what you're doing and will still result in inferior performance with Wine.

D) As much as I love Linux I can't recommend a person install it unless they fully understand how to make separate partitions or live USBs AND are willing to commit to an OS with a rather high learning curve.

E) Max OS X has had a right-click functionality for years now. In fact, my Macbook's touchpad beats everything but a Razer Naga in terms of types of input it can handle. Pinch to zoom, left click, right click, 3-finger click, 4-finger click, 2 finger drag, 3 finger drag, 4 finger tabbing... the list goes on and on with the gestures that thing supports. It's downright brilliant.

Windows 8 Enterprise on Desktop and Laptop. Still running Windows 8 Consumer Preview on Slate.
    Server 2k8 R2 Server Core running Hyper-V with some other 2k8 R2 VMs for DHCP, DNS, File/Print, Proxy, etc.

Why? I find Windows 8 runs better than 7. Windows 2k8 because that's what I use at work and am used to, and I haven't gotten around to installing 2012 other than testing it out in a VM.
    Last edited by The Cat; 2012-11-21 at 09:46 PM.

Deleted
    Windows 8 home, windows 7 work desktop, linux on server machines I'm administrating.

Quote Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
    Mountain Lion with Windows 7 running in a virtual terminal on my 2nd scene.

Why? I have been a Mac user for near 20 years. Every few years I get the itch to build a hardcore Windows box. I'll use it for a while but before long I am back on my Mac. I can now do most everything I need to do on my Mac and for the other stuff I can use my VT.
    Why not save yourself a few hundred bucks and build yourself a Hackintosh? That's what I do.