Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

1v1 Ladders with a twist that just might work.

Often people have asked for 1v1 arena, they want a chance to play alone and take all the glory, to be the great player doing it alone. Various reasons but always it is said the game is not balanced around 2v2 let alone 1v1 so how about have ratings in a ladder only compare you to others playing the same class. It could be for transmog gear but also titles.
    I'd like to see the rating work much on % so your rank would be decided on where you were amoungst your class.
    We would not see that but the internal system would see if you were in the top 50% etc and rank you accorindingly.

This is a rough idea but it should be easy to see where I am going with this.
    If we are rated by comparing how we do to others playing the same class then the balance is not an issue. The overpowered classes all will do well so ofcoursebut there win loss ratio would have to be higher compared to an underpowered class to achieve the same level/rating/rank. It would all be a kind of passive handicap, but still fair.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

You want 1v1 ... I prefer the idea of 5 walk in 1 walks out arena (no parties allowed).

That would impose some sort of balance on the game, as people gang up on the stronger classes at the start.

take it one step further.
    Battle only your class.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    You want 1v1 ... I prefer the idea of 5 walk in 1 walks out arena (no parties allowed).

That would impose some sort of balance on the game, as people gang up on the stronger classes at the start.
    The ability to play arena without skype <3

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

Except that the rogues/feral druids will just wait for everyone else to kill each other then come in at the end for the win.

or you get a standoff... 3 dps notice theres only 3 dps here.... so the all wait for the anti stealth orb or for the nub rogue to strike first;P then nail him burry him and have a beer to celebrate! then back to the fight with 3 remaining
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

10+ Year Old Account
    Or 2 blood dks fighting each other for the rest of eternity?

Mhmm, good idea. ^_^
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Battle only your class.
    And it has to be same spec to make it fairer. So blood DKs expecting easy wins will be faced with another blood DK
    Likewise healers or hybrids expecting to win by outlasting will find a never-ending match with their opponent

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iracor View Post
    Except that the rogues/feral druids will just wait for everyone else to kill each other then come in at the end for the win.
    Let's get back to discuss the OP idea.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Battle only your class.
    This was my thought immediately after reading the "% compared to your class"

You know, i was trying to build a counter; and if they did it by spec, it would be awesome, because it would be the top x% of each spec, some specs would be more populous, but even then having it be % based should balance it across the board.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombikilla View Post
    This was my thought immediately after reading the "% compared to your class"

You know, i was trying to build a counter; and if they did it by spec, it would be awesome, because it would be the top x% of each spec, some specs would be more populous, but even then having it be % based should balance it across the board.
    Your talking about playing only vs your own class or a random class like I suguested?
    I find the same vs same would be boring and in my opinion what I want is a chance to que and be ranked at how good I am vs other classes. Like the legendary gladiator entering the arena facing all competitors.

1v1 arena would require a "Spirit of the Game" sort of passive buff/aura that alters certain abilities or mechanics of classes that make them have an edge in duels. For example, healing for blood DKs or Second Wind effect for warriors could be reduced.

While this offers exciting gameplay, it takes a ton of hard work from Blizzard, as they constantly need keep the classes somewhat in line, at least I wouldn't bother with 1v1 arenas with how classes are currently balanced for it now.

Apply dung que system and only allow DPS to que.

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Or 2 blood dks fighting each other for the rest of eternity?

Mhmm, good idea. ^_^
    This is just the typical answer you get, if you ask for 1on1 Arena. People are good at detecting problems, but that's it.

Let them fight for 5 minutes and after that, each minute damage gets increases by 25% and healing gets reduced by 25%. Even healer vs healer would be over in max. 10 minutes.

I would love 1on1 arena as it removes the most horrible thing in WoW: being dependent on others.
    I want to play with and against others, but I do not want to depend on them in such a direct way.

Deleted

actually i have imagine this but has a 4 teams of 5 players walking in and only 1 gets out but it could be fun the way you described it.

Only thing for yours to work is no healer spec allowed

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinitum View Post
    1v1 arena would require a "Spirit of the Game" sort of passive buff/aura that alters certain abilities or mechanics of classes that make them have an edge in duels. For example, healing for blood DKs or Second Wind effect for warriors could be reduced.
    No, you miss the point I made where one is competing in the rank/rating/title with your own class.
    It may work system side like this:
    win ratio /vs mages 50%
    vs monks 25%
    vs warriors 60%
    same for all classes then the system would take the average of these ratios here 45% then it (the system) would compare the player to the battlegroup average and this would be effectivly 1500 now.
    Lets say bg average for your class was 56% and yours was 60% then you'd be above 1500 if we compared it to arena rating.
    We would not see all that complicated messy math, just some form of rating/rank.
    People don't need to understand the math here but the point is that an op class is by the system being compared with his same op class so he loses his advantage and it's balanced.

We dont say who is the best Roger Federer or Tiger woods? We compare them to there own sport, we should have no issue saying this is the best Mage in the battlegroup etc.

Why the hell are people so eager to try to get 1v1 arena in the game....? Besides, if you want 1v1...go outside of stormwind or ogrimmar and duel.

This game isn't balanced around 1v1. It would cause the devs to work overtime in order to "balance" it and take their work time away from more important things.

I think it's pointless.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Deleted

I'd rather see an 2vs2vs2 or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iracor View Post
    This would be rather easy to fix. Either impose a 30 second duratoin to stealth in this arena, or every 30 seconds arena wide flare.

Quote Originally Posted by Joycemiester View Post
    Often people have asked for 1v1 arena, they want a chance to play alone and take all the glory, to be the great player doing it alone. Various reasons but always it is said the game is not balanced around 2v2 let alone 1v1 so how about have ratings in a ladder only compare you to others playing the same class. It could be for transmog gear but also titles.
    I'd like to see the rating work much on % so your rank would be decided on where you were amoungst your class.
    We would not see that but the internal system would see if you were in the top 50% etc and rank you accorindingly.

This is a rough idea but it should be easy to see where I am going with this.
    If we are rated by comparing how we do to others playing the same class then the balance is not an issue. The overpowered classes all will do well so ofcoursebut there win loss ratio would have to be higher compared to an underpowered class to achieve the same level/rating/rank. It would all be a kind of passive handicap, but still fair.
    I like your idea OP, it will be nice to know if you are the better paladin, or better warrior, your class can be in a bad state, but you will compete with others that will be in the same position that you. This is something easy to implement, since it only checks the current ladder and set an aditional rank by class.