Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Also, why The Secret World went P2P with a cash shop is beyond me. The hell were they thinking about that. AND THEY LIMIT CHARACTER SLOTS! That has EA written all over it.
    Because TSW is a niche MMO where the optional, supplemental income a CS provides makes up for the lack of broader appeal [i.e. subs].

Its actually a vocal minority [I don't use that term often] that are opposed to cash shops. CS' make money hand-over-fist for MMO companies. People love to buy that stuff. Even if it were just a few ppl in overall % buying that furry kitten pet or navigator shades for $20USD in the cash shop that usually amounts to greater income than a sub.

I worked for a F2P publisher at one point. And I tell you with no bullshit involved-- we had customers that bought was the equivalent of a small car in cash shop goods annually.

Selling sparkle ponies works.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-21 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Also, why The Secret World went P2P with a cash shop is beyond me. The hell were they thinking about that. AND THEY LIMIT CHARACTER SLOTS! That has EA written all over it.
    Kind of different though. TSW's cash shop is purely cosmetic, think outfits, pets, titles, name/realm change etc.
    There's a very good variety of clothing/titles in-game so you'd never notice it unless you really liked an outfit/pet.

With regard to 3 character slots; You can learn every skill on 1 character and there's 3 factions, so it makes sense that most of the pop. would never want more than 3 characters anyway.

Deleted
    game lacked endgame and gear progression

Deleted
    I guess its bit "conspiracy-theory" but one guy once said it like this:

They added "less content" on purpose at start because they get the money from boxes not subs.
    So people who play most take most money from em(farming gold then changing it to gems and using servers with just box copy).
    So they actually want people to play less, also that increases chances of person buying XP boosts etc.
    And when content arrives, it gives these "buy keys" stuff. People who have farmed enough gold might be able to buy keys without real money, but those "bored people" wont be.

Sadly it seems to make sense. But that doesn't always mean its true or happens.

I really enjoyed the game up until I finished getting my exotics, I've had my share of fun in WvW and the dungeons I don't really find that interesting. Limited time events are ok but sometimes I just feel like I have better games to spend my time on. Rather then throw 50-100 hours away grinding a new weapon skin.
    (This signature was clearly too awesome for the Avatar & Signature Guidelines and was removed to prevent further facemelting)

Deleted
    Its not about F2p or not, GW1 is still today a very good game... its just that GW2 lacks "something" imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    Its not about F2p or not, GW1 is still today a very good game... its just that GW2 lacks "something" imo.
    Agree, i still prefer to play GW1 than GW2. Not sure why though...

It's the depth of Guild Wars 1 that is missing. GW2 is like sorta mindless & unrelenting, It's just the same fight-fight-fight mechanics without any real strategic or cerebral consideration.

The game is just kind of a action-game romp and little more. I heard this quote about Skyrim on a podcast once but I think it fits GW2 as well; width of an ocean/depth of a puddle.

Kinda accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stick around, in the next few months Crystin Cox will completely destroy this game and turn into her bastardized frankenchild maple story. Totally disappointed at this sellout. We have enough p2p garbage in the marketplace but the Nexon greed locusts just couldn’t leave well enough alone and had to dip their slimy little claws into another terrific game and tear it all to shreds. Greed over everything, this is the fate of MMO’s and now that corporations fully understand the dumbed down mentality of most and they can’t pump out enough sparkly jiggerators and plush ponies fast enough to appease the troglodyte infested market. Online gaming and good creative challenging content is going the way of the dodo bird all thanks to shortsighted idiots like Cox and the narrow minded carrot chasing losers of the world who have trouble with the concept of skill and attributes and can’t focus beyond the shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Noselacri View Post
    F2P would be great if the game was good.

GW2 is not good.

People won't play a bad game for free.

Its not free to play, its buy to play.

Well I haven't been playing for over a month. It's not that it isn't a good game, I like it and the beauty of the pay model is that I can come back whenever I want. I don't have to feel like I have to play to get my moneys worth and I won't feel like I'm wasting my money if I take a break.

Also, none of my friends play. My old guild is still in WoW and playing an mmo isn't quite as fun when you are solo.
    I got to the point where 3/4 of every quest and event was bugged and could not be completed and that annoyed the hell out of me since I like to complete everything.

I'll be back whenever I feel like an mmo, right now I have my plate full with Bioshock, Portal 2, Rage, Company of Heroes, Batman: Arkham City, Hawken and whatever other great deal Steam taunts me with during this sale.

In general, people won't play a game they don't enjoy. Be it b2p, p2p, F2P. What should matter is if you enjoy it. Of course it can be hard to enjoy an mmorpg without having people to play with, but if the old friends go away then there are others willing to keep playing to be found.

I'm sticking to my game not because it's bap2p (buy and pay to play, heh), but because it's the only mmorpg I've ever enjoyed beyond the "Ooh, shiny!"-phase, and still do very much enjoy. I would feel this way even if everyone I currently know were to quit tomorrow. I came for the game, I'm going to stay for the game. In the end, the "traditional" and by certain games oh so shunned model for mmorpgs, is what makes them interesting to me.

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 12:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    OP does kind of have a point. People do tend to play P2P just they had to pay for it. When they have to pay a monthly fee they feel obligated to spend as much time of possible playing the game so that they can "get their monies worth". A lot of people don't feel like they have to play GW2. This is a strange concept to a lot people who have spent the last couple of years just playing WoW. You mean I don't have to play this game all of the time? Only when I want to?

Only dumb people keep paying for something they don't enjoy though, or spend more time than they would actually WANT to. If someone feels he/she needs to get the last few days or so worth out of his sub before quitting, this might be legit. But I don't believe ANYONE plays and keeps playing a p2p mmorpg way more than wanted just because he/she feels obliged to do so to get the money's worth...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-11-22 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noselacri View Post
    F2P would be great if the game was good.

GW2 is not good.

People won't play a bad game for free.
    Well, I'm glad your opinion is objective and not just subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

The game is just kind of a action-game romp and little more. I heard this quote about Skyrim on a podcast once but I think it fits GW2 as well; width of an ocean/depth of a puddle.

Kinda accurate.
    That quote really sums great what I think about GW2.
    And I do think if it is pay to play GW2 would have less people playing. I log once/twice a week, even less, when I have really nothing else to do ( I am sure I am not the only one). I wouldn't pay monthly sub for few hours a month of game play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenogeist View Post
    Also, none of my friends play. My old guild is still in WoW and playing an mmo isn't quite as fun when you are solo.
    That's cool. Everyone I know quit WoW to play GW2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayMGHYax_m8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpl7BcoTDrg
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    I came here as to maybe someone could help me find the answer to my question. Where is everyone ?? the server population all say High & Full, but everywhere is empty.
    Heart of Mists, Lion's Arch, Blackgate were filled with people back in the middle of Septemeber I came back to play with 2 friends & it was empty. We moved to Dragonbrand from Eredon Terrace.

Like World v World v World I don't know what happened to it, we zoned in and hardly anyone was playing.

Like what happened, I expected to see alot of people atleast kinda depressed cause GW2 was very fun PvP & enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2012-11-23 at 12:40 AM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Where is everyone ?? the server population all say High & Full, but everywhere is empty.
    I can't comment on PvP areas, but I play on Crystal Desert and I am always put into Lion's Arch Overflow. Population per zone varies. There's usually a zerg running in Harathi Highlands, Sparkfly Fen, and Straits of Destruction (haven't been to Orr yet). The starting zones usually have a bunch of people in them. The mid-range zones seem to have less people, but they also tend to show up whenever there's an event happening. I personally haven't had the 'alone in the world' feeling in GW2 that I've experienced in other MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    I came here as to maybe someone could help me find the answer to my question. Where is everyone ?? the server population all say High & Full, but everywhere is empty.
    Heart of Mists, Lion's Arch, Blackgate were filled with people back in the middle of Septemeber I came back to play with 2 friends & it was empty. We moved to Dragonbrand from Eredon Terrace.

Like World v World v World I don't know what happened to it, we zoned in and hardly anyone was playing.

Like what happened, I expected to see alot of people atleast kinda depressed cause GW2 was very fun PvP & enjoyed it.
    If talking about today & this weekend specifically, note there is a kinda of a big deal holiday going on right now in the US and like a huge shopping weekend Fri-Mon. A lot of the MMOs I play seem sparse right now. Holidays and all.

More generally speaking, in PVE zones I have yet to see a game as lively or densely populated as Guild Wars 2 regardless of time of day. Some times I log in at 2 or 4 in the morning and still hit overflow servers.

Only the Charr and 50-70 Norn areas see little traffic. The rest of the game is in my observation, full of people. Maybe too many. Tough to even see or get a hit in on a mob in some areas.

Don't PVP ever. No comment on WvW.

Lastly, it is worth considering that some other games have launched and re-launched lately. And the MMO player base isn't that big really. Mists of Pandaria, SWTOR's F2P, Rift Storm Legion, Planetside 2, Raiderz; all new/released and competing for a tiny sliver of gamers. With a B2P game like GW2 you are going to likely see a lot more 'drift' than in other games.

Guild Wars 2 is not a "long term" game for many. More of a jump in/out thing.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-23 at 01:38 AM.

Omg, there are other people that know what Everquest Next is? Shoot, I thought me and my dad were the only ones to have ever heard of it, LOL.

Looking forward to all of those games too, Fencer.

Like any MMO, people get fast. F2P is the only reason GW2 is going to survive.