Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EllishaPally View Post
    With 560ti's going for $150 or less on sale that's not a bad idea at all. Especially since black friday is coming up lol.
    Eeeeeeh. I don't know about that. 560 ti cards in SLI sound like they'll have fairly noticeable microstutter.

The discussion of old hardware and need of upgrading is a sound one.
    I feel monitor resolution and consoles still are the culprits, and upgrades should only happen for purpose; When you feel it can't pull its own weight or you need it for specifics, be it multi monitor setup or GPGPU.

As for microstuttering, I'd say there are worse (GTX 560 Ti not featured I'd assume below GTX 580, at time of GTX 690's release).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Meanwhile, during your debates of whether or not to upgrade from a 670 or 680....

I'm sitting here with my 560 Ti. -.-
    The 560ti is still a decent card, it can run most games on medium/high at 1080p, can understand what you mean having been on a gt420 earlier this year though.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I cannot sli, no mobo support.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Yeah I cannot sli, no mobo support.
    Just because "SLI" is not supported does not mean it won't work or will cause issue. Assuming atleast 2 8x PCIe lanes, all you need to do is have the proper psu and another 560 ti.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Just because "SLI" is not supported does not mean it won't work or will cause issue. Assuming atleast 2 8x PCIe lanes, all you need to do is have the proper psu and another 560 ti.
    Aside from the fact that my motherboard does not have a second electronically run 8x lane (asus p8p67 piece of junk) your motherboard HAS to have an nvidia sli chip to support it. -.- xfire however does not cost manufacturers a dime to tag on because it does not require such.things.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from the fact that my motherboard does not have a second electronically run 8x lane (asus p8p67 piece of junk) your motherboard HAS to have an nvidia sli chip to support it. -.- xfire however does not cost manufacturers a dime to tag on because it does not require such.things.
    There is no chip. The drivers just check if you have a SLI-certed board or not. If it isn't, there are workarounds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deltrus, you are thinking of the NF200 chip that was used for quad and 4 way SLI on 50 series motherboards

You're not thinking about certain other things - 4k resolution is coming out. That will bring a 680 to its knees, especially if you want to run something like BF3 on that.
    I saw a 4k tv today priced at a <sarcasm>modest</sarcasm> $25,000 USD. It was 84 inches, mind you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    I saw a 4k tv today priced at a <sarcasm>modest</sarcasm> $25,000 USD. It was 84 inches, mind you.
    intel has told panel manufactures that they want 4k panels as the new top end computer panel to replace 2560, i would wager that if we dont start seeing 4k panels in the $1500 price range that intel will step in and make their own

there is no reason for 4k panels to cost so much anymore, that it price gouging, to which panel manufacturers have already got in trouble with

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    intel has told panel manufactures that they want 4k panels as the new top end computer panel to replace 2560, i would wager that if we dont start seeing 4k panels in the $1500 price range that intel will step in and make their own

there is no reason for 4k panels to cost so much anymore, that it price gouging, to which panel manufacturers have already got in trouble with
    well no need to hurry tbh if games aren't made to support 4k res it won't matter much. (perhaps for certain jobs it could work wonders)

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets see some 1400/1600p IPS panels selling for under $400 first (yes I know there are one or two models but I'm talking U2711-level), then I'll start getting curious about 4k.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Well the new 27 inch 1440p screen from dell is selling for 500 euro (U2713HM), so it is getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Yep. Crysis 1 was horribly optimized, so was Metro 2033. Crysis gets used for benchmarks all the time but it really doesn't make a great benchmark, it just shows how poorly it was optimized when all these years later far superior hardware still has some issues with it.
    Crysis was horribly optimized. Crysis Warhead is one of the best optimized engines I've ever seen. Update 1.2 brings the Warhead engine to the original Crysis. I'm pretty sure benchmark websites are using either Crysis Warhead or Crysis 1.2+ to benchmark GPUs.

The reason Crysis cripples systems is because of several factors:
    1) Open world
    2) Enormous view distance (part of 1)
    3) High detail objects (dem trees man)
    4) Special effects (water, frost, ice)

Compare: Crysis Warhead and Battlefield 3

All things considered, Crysis is on par with Battlefield 3 in terms of performance: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/555?vs=618

By the way, I've been able to run Crysis Warhead on 4 year old integrated GPU laptops at 720p with 25 FPS (no apparent stutter in combat). The engine is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    but one of them is only wired for 4x, but you could still SLI.
    How sure are you? If you say you are.. I'll take your word for it. But.
    While I've not tried, I thought they were hard-wired to not run on 4x in SLI anymore. That might've been software based.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Correct. As long as the CPU has the lanes to physically support 2 GPU's, there's no issue. As we know, 8x PCIE 2.0 is ideal for single-core cards even right up to the top end, and thus any CPU and board that allows you to install 2 physical cards allows SLI. Admittedly, in your case, it has dual x16 physical slots, but one of them is only wired for 4x, but you could still SLI.

You're pretty aware on my thoughts of SLI with 5 series cards though, especially regarding stability, so upgrade would be my preference (as it was).
    Oh yeah, even if my motherboard had a second PCIe lane that was 8x, I would still not do it, from what I've heard 560 Ti's are not good for SLI, both from the stability to the performance "increase."
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    How sure are you? If you say you are.. I'll take your word for it. But.
    While I've not tried, I thought they were hard-wired to not run on 4x in SLI anymore. That might've been software based.
    Afaik it won't work without a "SLI-patch", which seem to be built around some BIOS emulation thingie.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Crysis was horribly optimized. Crysis Warhead is one of the best optimized engines I've ever seen. Update 1.2 brings the Warhead engine to the original Crysis. I'm pretty sure benchmark websites are using either Crysis Warhead or Crysis 1.2+ to benchmark GPUs.

The reason Crysis cripples systems is because of several factors:
    1) Open world
    2) Enormous view distance (part of 1)
    3) High detail objects (dem trees man)
    4) Special effects (water, frost, ice)

Compare: Crysis Warhead and Battlefield 3

All things considered, Crysis is on par with Battlefield 3 in terms of performance: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/555?vs=618

By the way, I've been able to run Crysis Warhead on 4 year old integrated GPU laptops at 720p with 25 FPS (no apparent stutter in combat). The engine is quite good.
    You sure about that? Crysis 1 Wars and Warhead are the same game on the same exact engine. The view distance compared to BF3 or WoW isnt really stellar, the "open world" exists about as much as it does in any Modern FPS, i'd take some time and look into the physics of Crysis and then you will understand why it still crippled cards. Websites are using the BENCHMARKS inside crysis warhead, which is the expansion that opened up mod support.

10+ Year Old Account
    anymore information on the gtx 780? im itching to get rid of my 7970

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    anymore information on the gtx 780? im itching to get rid of my 7970
    Why do you feel the need to replace your 7970? It's one of the best GPUs on the market. O_O
    "A flower.