Lightbulb [WW] PVP Guide to Cooldowns & Abilities!

Hi guys,

I've made a video guide covering some of the many useful abilities for pvp, some players may not be using their monks to it's full potential, hopefully this brings to your attention some abilities you may not use in pvp!

Written Version:
    Monk Windwalker PVP Guide - rotation, cooldowns & abilities

Hey guys, in this guide we’ll be covering a windwalker pvp guide on your abilities and how they work, when to use cooldowns and the rotation or combos I use in PvP.

Rotation.
    So let’s get into our abilities, now as of patch 5.0 tiger palm generally isn’t used in pvp unless of course your target is for example iceblocked you may want to throw down some tiger palms on their pet until your target is out, when patch 5.1 comes out Tiger palm no longer needs to be used 3 times to gain the buff.

Right off the bat Rising Sun Kick is the hardest hitting damage move you have so I tend to use this first, also reducing healing done to your target is always nice aswell, followed by Black out kicks, you should always prioritize rising sun kick over black out kick, it’s a great idea to using fists of fury when you can.

Make sure you kick your target regardless of whether they are a caster of not, disarming them even if they are a caster since disarm also gives you a damage boost if their weapon is better than yours.

Ensure you continually use expel harm and chi wave if you need to keep yourself up.

Cooldowns
    So the most important cooldown you will use as a windwalker monk is Touch Of Karma, knowing when to use this is the defines you as a monk, of course this is a defensive cooldown but once you master it’s potential you’ll realize it has an offensive use as well.

Take careful notice of when you’re being focused and redirect their burst to someone else, Touch Of Karma has to the potential to do over 300,000 damage so make sure you put it to good use.

Fortifying Brew and Diffuse magic are great defensive cooldowns but I wouldn’t recommend using them at the same time unless you’re in real trouble, waiting until you collect a few magic dots and reflecting them will help your damage.

Detox, this ability is very powerful make sure you remember to use this, dispelling shadow priest diseases, rogue and feral druid poisons and especially DK dots will severely reduce their damage as your enemies rely on these dots to do more damage.

Knowing when you use your pvp trinket is very important, the general rule of thumb is to use it against cc that have a big cooldown, for fears which generally don’t have a cooldown I always aim to trinket the first one, ensuring the fears I receive after are effected by DR, don’t break cc with your trinket that you can remove with Tiger’s Lust or Diffuse magic.

If you find you get kited a lot make sure you use your roll to break slows, even if you don’t have to, even Flying Serpent kick and cancel it to break slows and slow your enemy.

Once you master your abilities you can pull off some amazing combos, for healers this is especially important, I generally don’t give a healer much chance to heal, I start off with rising sun kick to reduce any healing immediately, followed by a disable and which allows me to walk up to their front and kick, silencing them for 5 secs, after this Leg Sweep, followed by Rising Sun kick and by this stage you should be able to kick silence again, after this I like to paralysis even if you break it immediately the point is to really mess with their healing rhythm.

That’s it for this guide guys, I hope this has helped you, if you have any questions let me know and as always thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Smashpanda; 2012-11-25 at 08:46 AM.
    Monk Guides/Tips & Fun unique videos check it out:
    YouTube.com/SmashUpGaming

I don't know if using Spear Hand Strike on non crucial things right now (before 5.1) is super important because of its high energy cost, for example I almost never use it to blanket a non caster.
    I also disagree with people not using Tiger Palm in pvp currently, its a 20 second buff on you so once its up its easy to keep up with just mastery procs for the most part, and its increase in your damage against classes in plate is huge. I tend to use Tiger Palm while I am lightly attacking a target preparing for burst, then I have the buff up for the Rising Sun, Fists of Fury combo.

Beyond those two points, good video! It will be helpful to monks and those learning to beat monks, I find the biggest issue with Monk PvP right now is people not understanding what they can do! Let me add a few more tips and tricks I found useful as my main is WW Monk.

Detox is really undervalued because diseases and poisons usually aren't life threatening damage, but people should remember that these debuffs are crucial to their casting classes for damage output. DKs damage goes down just from not having diseases on the target, but it also costs them more runes to apply as well as preventing their snare in the case of Frost DKs. Clearing crippling and rogue poison is always good for your movement in general but remember that their talent Paralyzing poison requires five stacks to work, dispelling at 4 is easy and wastes that entire ability. Also remember to dispel Devouring Plague from priests! Not only does it do damage to you, every second it ticks heals the caster for 3% of their health.
    Speaking of stacking mechanics, the Death Knight talent Remorseless Winter puts a stacking debuff which upon reaching Five stacks will stun you. No need to kite this ability as using a roll, torpedo, flying kick, or tigers lust at any point in the debuffs duration will clear one stack preventing the ability from reaching full potency, and ruining the stun.
    Zen Meditation is cancelled on receiving a melee hit or crowd control, lessening its usefulness, but you can still use this to your advantage! Grounding a polymorph or counterspell to yourself can save your team in arena, but you can also use this ability to negate a nasty set of feral bleeds, a chaos bolt, or save your teamate from the ice lances following a Deep Freeze.

Deleted
    WW pvp guide: stay away from hunters and mages. Your clunky gap closers won't allow you to catch up with them.

Would be much more useful/relevant in text form IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it just me or does Diffuse Magic's reflect thing only really works when it feels like it? I've gotten up in mages faces and let them put all kinds of stuff on me and I use it then nope, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trendy-Ideology View Post
    Would be much more useful/relevant in text form IMO.
    Written guide as per your request, Done!

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 07:45 PM ----------

@squid

I don't know if using Spear Hand Strike on non crucial things right now (before 5.1) is super important because of its high energy cost, for example I almost never use it to blanket a non caster.
    It might not be a great against a warrior but it's very powerful against a dk for example, 5 seconds is enough time to recoup the cost and do some serious damage without retaliation, on a short cooldown our silence is very powerful, I'd practice using it now so when the energy cost is lower you'll be naturally using it.

I also disagree with people not using Tiger Palm in pvp currently, its a 20 second buff on you so once its up its easy to keep up with just mastery procs for the most part, and its increase in your damage against classes in plate is huge.
    I'm not saying Tiger Palm is crap, it's actually awesome super easy to keep up, but the ramp up time it takes to get that going could be better spent on actually killing your target, tiger palm hits for 20k it's not worth the chi and uptime on your enemy which is always fairly limited in pvp.

Using Detox is not essential but it's a great way to really mess with certain classes, especially DK's for example that may need to spend even more resources to reapply their dots.

I don't kite Remorseless winter at all, In fact I say in it, I believe from memory Remorseless Winter has the potential to do 7 stacks, so I wait for 3-4 stacks and clear them with Diffuse Magic allowing me to continue dpsing the Death Knight without interruption.

Zen Meditation is a great one, I don't use it often but it has great potential as you mentioned I believe it also works when you lose LOS on your team matesyou, you're spot on there!
    Monk Guides/Tips & Fun unique videos check it out:
    YouTube.com/SmashUpGaming