Deleted

[BUG] Chaos Wave: LOS negates dmg

hey,

LOSing a chaos wave after it has been cast on you and before it actually hits negates the dmg completely. fuck that.

bye

Damage also gets reduced if you leave demon form before the spell lands.

Coincidentally Hand of Gul'dan gets buffed if you cast it first, then pop demon form.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    Damage also gets reduced if you leave demon form before the spell lands.

Coincidentally Hand of Gul'dan gets buffed if you cast it first, then pop demon form.
    This actually seems quite relevant for PVE dps no?

It's not only LoS. CCs tend to make it bug too. It's as if it had a "hidden" cast bar.

Yes, any interrupt, silence or CC cast on you that would otherwise render you unable to cast (ie not a root) will, if used after Chaos Wave is cast but before it impacts, negate the damage entirely.

I believe it's caused by the design of the spell itself, once cast the wave will drop slowly from the point that it has originally emerged from, it will fall and deal aoe in the radius that it is meant to deal damage in, thus theoretically, aoe damage can be avoided by los'ing , similarly I believe if someone were to instantly escape the radius in which the spell was supposed to land in , let's call that "ground zero" , if you were to somehow go outside the radius of this "ground zero" where the "nuke" is meant to land you would avoid the damage.

I have yet to test this though, but given the replies on this spell it seems logical that it functions in such a manner, if so this is not a bug, it is simply following the design of how aoe functions in the game.

to better understand how or where the spell will land, try placing the hand of guldan minor glyph, which causes it to become a reticule, from there you can tell how large the aoe radius is and where u can throw it, test it a few times so u get used to it, it should be treated as an aoe spell not a single target spell, simply because it is targettable does not change it's nature.
    Last edited by wholol; 2012-11-24 at 05:35 PM.

Deleted
    nah, thats not it. if i cast chaos wave or hand of guldan on a target dummy and los then chaoswave/handofguldan will disappear. same thing also happens with the handofguldan minor glyph, cast it on a target dummy, run out of LOS before it hits->no dmg.
    on the other hand, if u stand out of LOS , cast hand of guldan (glyphed) on the dummy, it hits. it wont if u were in LOS when u casted it and run out of LOS.

other aoe spells (hellfire, rain of fire) can hit a target thats out of LOS no matter if you LOS after you casted it. its def not working as intended. esp if a stun or silence after you casted and before it hits will negate the spell.
    Last edited by mmoc703b55f91f; 2012-11-24 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbtg View Post
    nah, thats not it. if i cast chaos wave or hand of guldan on a target dummy and los then chaoswave/handofguldan will disappear. same thing also happens with the handofguldan minor glyph, cast it on a target dummy, run out of LOS before it hits->no dmg.
    on the other hand, if u stand out of LOS , cast hand of guldan (glyphed) on the dummy, it hits. it wont if u were in LOS when u casted it and run out of LOS.

other aoe spells (hellfire, rain of fire) can hit a target thats out of LOS no matter if you LOS after you casted it. its def not working as intended. esp if a stun or silence after you casted and before it hits will negate the spell.
    Hmm, strange indeed.

perhaps it's both, a bug and how the mechanics work, seems like a logical explanation, though I doubt they will fix this simply because they should've fixed so many other bugs in game, like the demo leap sometimes jumping backwards instead of forward, it's been like that since beta and still is bugged to this day.
    the same can be said about carrion swarm sometimes not knocking back at all, there are several bugs but none have been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    Hmm, strange indeed.

perhaps it's both, a bug and how the mechanics work, seems like a logical explanation, though I doubt they will fix this simply because they should've fixed so many other bugs in game, like the demo leap sometimes jumping backwards instead of forward, it's been like that since beta and still is bugged to this day.
    the same can be said about carrion swarm sometimes not knocking back at all, there are several bugs but none have been fixed.
    My theory is that it has a "hidden" cast bar during travel time. It would explain most of the bugs: If target dies during travel time, Chaos Wave doesn't strike since you have no target and therefore the "cast" is canceled. If target is LoS-ing you during travel time, then "cast" is canceled like any other cast spell. If target CCs you during travel time, then "cast" is interrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis View Post
    My theory is that it has a "hidden" cast bar during travel time. It would explain most of the bugs: If target dies during travel time, Chaos Wave doesn't strike since you have no target and therefore the "cast" is canceled. If target is LoS-ing you during travel time, then "cast" is canceled like any other cast spell. If target CCs you during travel time, then "cast" is interrupted.
    1) You push the button, you spend the global. Nothing happens here except that the spell is activated, unlike conventional spells that snapshot your stats the moment the cast occurs, Chaos Wave/Hand of Gul'dan does not.
    2) The spell impacts. The stats AT THE MOMENT OF IMPACT are used. It's as if you cast the spell, and then you cast a hidden spell at the point of impact. If you are silenced at this moment, that hidden spell will not occur and the chaos wave is wasted.

There's no "hidden cast time", the spell is just comprised of 2 spells. One costing a gcd, and one hidden that costs no gcd.
    Last edited by Tya; 2012-11-24 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    1) You push the button, you spend the global. Nothing happens here except that the spell is activated, unlike conventional spells that snapshot your stats the moment the cast occurs, Chaos Wave/Hand of Gul'dan does not.
    2) The spell impacts. The stats AT THE MOMENT OF IMPACT are used. It's as if you cast the spell, and then you cast a hidden spell at the point of impact. If you are silenced at this moment, that hidden spell will not occur and the chaos wave is wasted.

There's no "hidden cast", the spell is just comprised of 2 spells. One costing a gcd, and one hidden that costs no gcd.
    Except it's the only spell which presents such bugs if I'm not mistaken. Maybe the word "cast" annoys you. If anything, it follows the same rules as casting time during travel time.

Edit: I think you didn't understand what I meant. Basically, when you activate the spell, you could imagine a "hidden cast time" since the spell is subject to the same rules as casting during travel time, except your own movement. you're not actually casting anything, but the spell is taken into account as if it's being cast during its travel time.
    Last edited by Phoenexis; 2012-11-24 at 07:34 PM.

Deleted
    Am I to understand that, if I cast HoG in caster form and switch to meta right away, I can have my HoG damage AND the dot component buffed for the entirety of my master rating? That would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Greymalkin View Post
    Am I to understand that, if I cast HoG in caster form and switch to meta right away, I can have my HoG damage AND the dot component buffed for the entirety of my master rating? That would be awesome!
    Yes. 10 char

The real question here is, is this consistent with other spells? Try silencing a mage after a fireball is in the air and see if it has the same effect. If it does, then it appears to be working as intended. Or maybe it's a global bug. But it would be good to know if it's just chaos wave or not.

delete this before ppl find out and use it against us in pvp !!!!
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    The real question here is, is this consistent with other spells? Try silencing a mage after a fireball is in the air and see if it has the same effect. If it does, then it appears to be working as intended. Or maybe it's a global bug. But it would be good to know if it's just chaos wave or not.
    It's the only spell that works this way to my knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Confined View Post
    delete this before ppl find out and use it against us in pvp !!!!
    This happens to me all the time
    Guatama - Enhancement
    Slowbrah - Retribution/Holy
    Jamespage - Demonology PVP
    Evocati (H - Zul'jin) is recruiting for 25 man.
    Visit our website to apply.