Thread: Intel to AMD

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Intel to AMD

So I'm making the switch from an Intel processor and mobo to AMD. I'm going with the FX8320 and the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX chip set. So that said is this going to be enough to really push my nVidia GTX 660ti and can I expect to be able to play games at highest settings and do things like stream and listen to music?

why on earth would you not get an ivy bridge processor?

10+ Year Old Account
    why on earth would u chose AMD over Intel ... for gaming ...

Pretty sure the intel mobos and chipsets are out benchmarking the AMDs by a significant margin. The may cost a tad more money, but why not get something that will last you longer and be better during the time that you have it? The intel processors also overclock much better. I would look at a gigabyte mobo and find the intel processor in your price range/performance needs. Then add a closed loop liquid cooled heatsink and overclock it. I think you can get an H70 for around $60 these days.

Because it all boils down to what I have to spend right now. Intel is expensive and AMD is not, so thanks for trolling and putting me down. What an awesome community.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    why on earth would u chose AMD over Intel ... for gaming ...
    If he's planning on a lot of multitasking (streaming, music etc) then the AMD processors will shine ^^
    (Not saying the Intel options won't also handle it, just saying that there's nothing wrong with AMD in this case.... + Ivy Bridge gets so damn hot from overclocking lol)

Deleted
    What is your current CPU?

Quote Originally Posted by Rimrot View Post
    Because it all boils down to what I have to spend right now. Intel is expensive and AMD is not, so thanks for trolling and putting me down. What an awesome community.
    No one trolled you or put you down... They gave constructive and factual advice... In general, it is a fact that Intel CPUs are better for gaming builds than AMD CPUs unless you're talking about extreme budget builds (i.e. < $500 for the entire build).

Please do not cry foul simply because people gave you advice that didn't match your expectations.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-11-26 at 04:31 PM.

Deleted
    dunno what you have looked at then but your AMD combo is cpu :$180 and mobo : $189.
    superior intel cpu(i5-3570k) : $219, mobo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813131820R) $135.

not sure how you would consider that to be trolling?
    used newegg prices for it since these are pretty accurate.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    dunno what you have looked at then but your AMD combo is cpu :$180 and mobo : $189.
    superior intel cpu(i5-3570k) : $219, mobo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813131820R) $135.

not sure how you would consider that to be trolling?
    used newegg prices for it since these are pretty accurate.
    ^This.

Not to mention the Intel combo is going to outperform quite handily for less money.

And then OC well, run cooler, and require less power.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/698?vs=701

Also, @OP, I hope you do realize that calling posters trolls is against not only the computer forums' rules, but also mmo-champion.com's rules. I suggest you take a look at hem.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ted-May-9-2011
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

AMD FX-8320 which is what I bought I paid $160, http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php lists that cpu benchmark at 8900+, by contrast the Intel i7s at the same benchmark points the CPU is more than a hundred bucks more.

Also included with my mobo was 16gigs of memory, for 370 bucks shipping and handling included - I got what I thought was a quality CPU, mogo and 16gigs of ripsaw memory.

Moreover, the AMD is an 8 core CPU and the price point for that appears to be FAR better than the i7.

To be honest, I would rather wait a month or two, save some more money and went for Ivy Bridge, you'll get much better results.. I did exactly the same btw...

Deleted
    AMD FX-8320 which is what I bought I paid $160, http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php lists that cpu benchmark at 8900+, by contrast the Intel i7s at the same benchmark points the CPU is more than a hundred bucks more.

Also included with my mobo was 16gigs of memory, for 370 bucks shipping and handling included - I got what I thought was a quality CPU, mogo and 16gigs of ripsaw memory.

Moreover, the AMD is an 8 core CPU and the price point for that appears to be FAR better than the i7.
    so your willing to screw up game performance for $20?
    8core cpu does not matter since games can almost never uttilize the amount of cores amd gives.
    intel provides more power per core compared to amd ones that is why intel is heavily favored for gaming.(wow best example for this)
    benchmarks are still a tool and do not compare to real life situations regarding cpu usage because benchmarks assume good coded programs and all cores being avaible for maximum usage.

Define how the game is going to get "screwed" up. How is the game NOT going to play when using an AMD processor vs an Intel processor. I do not believe you have some quantifiable evidence that a game is NOT going to play correctly because I'm using an AMD chip vs an Intel chip.

Passmark is not a gaming benchmark... Here's the 8320 vs the Intel i5 3570K in gaming benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...6.60.61.62.129

As you can see, the Intel CPU absolutely dominates the 8320.

Bringing the total to right around $340...

So, for $30 less (not including shipping) than what you bought, you get a CPU that is drastically more powerful in games. Number of cores means absolutely nothing for gaming, a 2 core Intel CPU can (and does) beat 8 core AMD CPUs.

That's why we always recommend you ask for advice before buying the parts.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-11-26 at 04:49 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Okay.

A) cpubenchmark.net is, I'm sorry but it's true, the fool's destination for picking out CPUs on the internet. They do not tell you just about anything about the testing, other than the results. Let me clue you in on some stuff:

Most hardcore CPU benchmarking software takes advantage of ALL of the cores. Guess what? Gaming doesn't. You said you want to game, not do a billion calculations for protein-folding in Folding@Home, or what have you. If that was the case, then yeah, maybe AMD would be better, but it's not. Not to mention, you don't need (and would see no increase in performance with what you are saying you want to do) an i7.

B) 16GB of RAM is overkill for you, 8GB is still more than enough for gamers, even people who stream.

C) AMD's Bulldozer/Piledriver CPUs = the FX-8xxx CPUs, are literally more like, half the amount of cores as they tout them to be. 8 core processor? It's equal to a 4 core Intel in just about everything. Intel's cheap i7's (the ones I call fake i7's, they are just i5's with hyper-threading enabled) would still run circles around AMD's FX-8xxx CPUs and OC far better, and ultimately make up the monetary difference with value and performance.

You should have asked our advice BEFORE buying and then coming and telling us what you bought and then not liking the fact that we disagree with your purchase.

Go to Overclock.net, overclockers.com, overclock3d.net, etc, you will get the same response.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

How am i putting you down? I simply asked why you wouldnt get an ivy bridge cpu. Also it is cyber monday shit is cheap today look for deals on an ivy bridge or at the least a sandy bridge cpu and mobo set....

http://microcenter.com/product/38857...1155_Processor you realize the 3570 is a better chip overall and its cheaper than the newegg price of the fx8320 and http://microcenter.com/product/38755...el_Motherboard both combined are cheaper than your options...so im not understanding how intel is more expensive than amd....when both are cheaper(and better) than what you are planning on buying

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 04:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Okay.

A) cpubenchmark.net is, I'm sorry but it's true, the fool's destination for picking out CPUs on the internet. They do not tell you just about anything about the testing, other than the results. Let me clue you in on some stuff:

Most hardcore CPU benchmarking software takes advantage of ALL of the cores. Guess what? Gaming doesn't. You said you want to game, not do a billion calculations for protein-folding in Folding@Home, or what have you. If that was the case, then yeah, maybe AMD would be better, but it's not. Not to mention, you don't need (and would see no increase in performance with what you are saying you want to do) an i7.

B) 16GB of RAM is overkill for you, 8GB is still more than enough for gamers, even people who stream.

C) AMD's Bulldozer/Piledriver CPUs = the FX-8xxx CPUs, are literally more like, half the amount of cores as they tout them to be. 8 core processor? It's equal to a 4 core Intel in just about everything. Intel's cheap i7's (the ones I call fake i7's, they are just i5's with hyper-threading enabled) would still run circles around AMD's FX-8xxx CPUs and OC far better, and ultimately make up the monetary difference with value and performance.

You should have asked our advice BEFORE buying and then coming and telling us what you bought and then not liking the fact that we disagree with your purchase.

Go to Overclock.net, overclockers.com, overclock3d.net, etc, you will get the same response.

also this ^ extremely well said
    Last edited by valliant13; 2012-11-26 at 04:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

the i5-3570k($189) is the comparable cpu to the fx-8350

I was under the impression that the number of cores don't even mater when it comes to performances. The way a processor handles a process is more important (think it called number of threads) then the speed of the CPU or even the number of cores. Reason why some of the quad core smarthphone processor aren't as good as duel core processor or even a desktop one.

Also right now the I5 CPU by Intel are probably the best CPU's available when looking at price/performance ratio and the I7 is probably used for more hardcore computer geek stuff.

Deleted
    Define how the game is going to get "screwed" up. How is the game NOT going to play when using an AMD processor vs an Intel processor. I do not believe you have some quantifiable evidence that a game is NOT going to play correctly because I'm using an AMD chip vs an Intel chip.
    the part where you asked for highest settings, that is what you won´t be able to achieve in any cpu heavy game.
    even in not cpu heavy games performance will be significantly lower compared to intel chips due to sheer optimization of gaming favoring intel cpu structure.