Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I work security, I have almost 0 downtime. If you work any job and play games etc. then you don't deserve the job anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Not in any job I have ever applied/worked for. They usually say "If you haven't heard from us in a fortnight, you don't have the job". Phoning, enquiring after can be seen as pushy and not a good trait to have. If they want you, they will contact you, if not, they won't.

Oh yeh, also remember the OP is the same lazy ass who thinks he can just submit a copy/pasted template application to every hotel in the area, as he cba to make them individual or personalise them.

For some reason, I am totally not surprised he still doesn't have work.
    Completely agree I do alot of recruitment for the company I currently work for, the kind of roles the OP is applying too get thousands of applications, we simply to no have the man power to answer every call when we have spent around 10 seconds over their cv deciding if they have the job or not too answer why we havnt contacted them and such it can be quite irritating at times.

Deleted
    a lot of security jobs i see going round here require you to have some sort of license, not sure what its called, its basically to say you've passed some basic course, not sure what the course is. and some experience in a security related jobs.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    When you apply, do you ask them if you get a lot of free time during working hours?

would not be surprised, this guy has basically made 2 threads now asking how he can get a job that doesn't require him to do any work, and will let him play games all day.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 08:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Taking a guess resume is similar to our CV,

If I phoned up any of the last couple of places I've handed in CV, they'd of binned it for me giving the impression I was impatient and would assume I would be like that in the work place,

ive heard different views on this, in school we had a careers advice thing, and they always said about phoning up, going in and asking about your application, how its going ect, but then a lot of people who actually work in recruitment dislike people who do that. i personally don't do it, i think it looks pushy and impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by Rupture91 View Post
    I'm just curious, did you do any of the security training for your certificates? I'm a security guard and you need to have your certificates in order to work as a guard. After you get your 8hr pre and 16hr (fireguard is optional) certificates, it is pretty easy to get a job. After 1 week i got a job at Zara which is a high profile clothing store pay 12/hr. I don't even have my security license yet.
    Do you have lots of free time at that job? From what I understand some security jobs like overnight security gives you almost all free time while some security guards don't any.

How much did it cost in time and money to get the certificate? I heard security guard pays about 9 dollars. I see your pay is comparatively high, is it in a big city?

Quote Originally Posted by freeti View Post
    Do you have lots of free time at that job? From what I understand some security jobs like overnight security gives you almost all free time while some security guards don't any.

How much did it cost in time and money to get the certificate? I heard security guard pays about 9 dollars. I see your pay is comparatively high, is it in a big city?
    Let me just ask a question.

With all the people out there looking for work, do you really expect any employer would hire you where your only ambition is "I want you to pay me to sit on my dick all day.?"
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious where you guys work where you would think that calling about a submitted application is considered rude. The type of people that we hire either fall under the category of ex-military/public law enforcement, or high school graduates looking for part time work. It isn't that serious of a job.

I don't even manage this site, but I know a lot of the local sites don't require actual enforcement. It's a lot of camera monitoring, and desk work. Even when I lived in Philidalphia where corporate is located, very few of the sites required actual enforcement. Security through our company would probably fall just a notch about applying for retail and fast food establishments.

When you get hundreds of applications for such a low key job, it isn't so much about the skills required, but more about how much they want it. So we pay more attention to applications that people call about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodewijk View Post
    Join the airforce.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHALET View Post
    Air force probably.
    Hey, I take offense to that! I occasionally have to do actual work...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Enjoy it while it lasts, being deployed is boring as hell.

I don't think volleyball and xbox count as work
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I don't think volleyball and xbox count as work
    When deployed thats pretty much how most of my day was spent, our unit was producing world class gamers due to all the practice. Most days were spent gaming/patrolling/sleeping.

I occasionally have to do actual work...
    What the AF do.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    When deployed thats pretty much how most of my day was spent, our unit was producing world class gamers due to all the practice. Most days were spent gaming/patrolling/sleeping.
    I would love to rip on you for that but the navy has professional trolls when it comes to deployments.

My Brother (Navy 14 years) : 20+ Depolyments (Cruises around the world with his airwing, 2 on sand, iraq )

My Sister (Army 3 years) : 3 deployments to afgan (currently 4 months into her 14 month 3rd deployment)

Me (Navy 7 years) : 1 Depolyment to Marine Corps Base Quantico, near Triangle, Virginia. 2 yearsof training to be with a marine corps unit and they sent me to viginia........ Joy.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the0o View Post
    I would love to rip on you for that but the navy has professional trolls when it comes to deployments.

My Brother (Navy 14 years) : 20+ Depolyments (Cruises around the world with his airwing, 2 on sand, iraq )

My Sister (Army 3 years) : 3 deployments to afgan (currently 4 months into her 14 month 3rd deployment)

Me (Navy 7 years) : 1 Depolyment to Marine Corps Base Quantico, near Triangle, Virginia. 2 yearsof training to be with a marine corps unit and they sent me to viginia........ Joy.
    I was Royal navy (Submarines) before I went Army, Naval deployments are very boring but nowhere near as boring as an Army one. Sitting around in the Desert, sweating and either patrolling, sleeping or gaming gets dull very quickly.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Most security positions want retired police or military experience. They can afford to be picky.

How about you just focus on getting *a* job, rather than spending all this time looking for one where you think it will allow you to be the laziest slag possible.

Your "I want a job where I get paid to do nothing" attitude is going to get you nowhere.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I was Royal navy (Submarines) before I went Army, Naval deployments are very boring but nowhere near as boring as an Army one. Sitting around in the Desert, sweating and either patrolling, sleeping or gaming gets dull very quickly.
    I think one of my favorite movie scenes in in Das Boot when the two crewman are sitting around looking obviously bored. then one says to the other...

"do you have hair in your nose?"
    "Yes, why?"
    "You want to knit them together?"

Basically all you do is walk around checking to make sure the area your watching is secure. Checking doors, windows, gates, locks, etc etc. We had a notebook for each place that we had to make our rounds every half hour and note down anything that was out of the ordinary. When not doing that I would usually find a vantage point where I can watch the spots that people are most likely to break into(dark areas like alleyways, corners).

#1 Keep yourself busy. If you have nothing to do, retrace your steps. Rinse and repeat until your shift is over.

Your either making rounds or watching one specific spot, depends on the job.

Only thing I hated was the overtime. We were literally having more overtime than regular hours quite often (3/4 weeks in the month). Working 10-16 hour shifts is insane. But then again, the $1,200 paycheck twice a month was a nice incentive.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2012-11-26 at 05:52 PM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Basically all you do is walk around checking to make sure the area your watching is secure. Checking doors, windows, gates, locks, etc etc. We had a notebook for each place that we had to make our rounds every half hour and note down anything that was out of the ordinary. When not doing that I would usually find a vantage point where I can watch the spots that people are most likely to break into(dark areas like alleyways, corners).

#1 Keep yourself busy. If you have nothing to do, retrace your steps. Rinse and repeat until your shift is over.

Your either making rounds or watching one specific spot, depends on the job.

Only thing I hated was the overtime. We were literally having more overtime than regular hours quite often (3/4 weeks in the month). Working 10-16 hour shifts is insane. But then again, the $1,200 paycheck twice a month was a nice incentive.
    AKA, not sitting on a laptop playing WoW. Sorry to say it dude, but you're gonna have to suck it up and not play games while you're at work. The whole world does it. If you want to, open your own business and you can do whatever you damn well please, OP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    AKA, not sitting on a laptop playing WoW. Sorry to say it dude, but you're gonna have to suck it up and not play games while you're at work. The whole world does it. If you want to, open your own business and you can do whatever you damn well please, OP.
    In before OP comes back and says "What business can I start that will give me lots of free time?".

In before OP comes back and says "What business can I start that will give me lots of free time?".
    House sitter.

Really depends on where you are applying for the security guard position at and what shift you want to work.

For example my brother in-law works security at a Rice dryer, when on the day shift he plays the role of safety regulator yet when on the night shift he is the only person at the plant as does a more traditional type of security.

He didn't need prior training and from what I understand most security jobs in the agricultural industry don't require it, nor do they really require you be fit/athletic