Overclocking my new build.

So a couple weeks ago I came here, you (the community) helped me put together the parts directly and indirectly and I am extremely happy with the results. I play MMO's like WoW, SWTOR, Aion, Rift etc and SC2, Diablo, BF3, Borderlands etc.

Question would be, should I overclock or keep as is. I am new at all this and just wanted to get an idea if it is something that I would be able to do by learning thru here and some internet help guides or should I just leave things as they are. I know the PC can handle all I am doing however it's one of those "if you can do it why not?" type of thing.

Here is the build, I bought everything thru Microcenter since I wanted to get advice from the service reps at the store and the tech guys there were extremely helpful and very knowledgeable, they also havehad an awesome price on the MoBo/CPU combo purchase and that was In-Store only so yea.Let me know what you think.

Deleted
    i would aim for some nice 4,2ghz overclock you might reach it on stock voltage maybe you need abit more. ( lots of good guides can teach you how to OC)

Honestly don't know what you mean that I can reac it on stock voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedelesa View Post
    Honestly don't know what you mean that I can reac it on stock voltage.

For the 3570k I'd recommend u overclock it to 4.5Ghz and use a Vcore (cpu voltage) of 1.275v

Set the cpu multiplier to 45 then baseclock to 10000. Change it from AUTO to those values.

Not sure what cpu cooler you have but the overclock should be stable and your temps should still be not too bad on a stock cooler.

Use a program like coretemp to monitor your idle and load temps and also stress test your cpu using Intel burn test or prime95.

You want to try and keep below 85c on load (my recommendation). 4.2Ghz at 1.22volts also works and u should be able to get lower temps with that.

You will also need to DISABLE the following in your BIOS in the OC Tweaker, CPU Configuration subcategory: Spread Spectrum, Intel Speedstep Technology, Intel Turbo Boost Technology.

Then Under Advanced CPU Configuration category disable: Enhanced Half State (C1E).

Don't forget to set to cpu voltage from AUTO to one of the suggested above and give it a test.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont see many 3570ks at 4.5 and 1.275 volts :-s

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    I do.. right here.

I highly suggest against overclocking if you have no clue what you are doing let alone where to start. Read up on it thoroughly for your specific mobo.

A good place to find/talk to people who have OC'ed their ivybridge chips.
    Ivybridge Overclocking Guide
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    3770Ks do that though.

Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    For the 3570k I'd recommend u overclock it to 4.5Ghz and use a Vcore (cpu voltage) of 1.275v

Set the cpu multiplier to 45 then baseclock to 10000. Change it from AUTO to those values.

Not sure what cpu cooler you have but the overclock should be stable and your temps should still be not too bad on a stock cooler.

Use a program like coretemp to monitor your idle and load temps and also stress test your cpu using Intel burn test or prime95.

You want to try and keep below 85c on load (my recommendation). 4.2Ghz at 1.22volts also works and u should be able to get lower temps with that.

You will also need to DISABLE the following in your BIOS in the OC Tweaker, CPU Configuration subcategory: Spread Spectrum, Intel Speedstep Technology, Intel Turbo Boost Technology.

Then Under Advanced CPU Configuration category disable: Enhanced Half State (C1E).

Don't forget to set to cpu voltage from AUTO to one of the suggested above and give it a test.
    4.5 ghz on an ivy bridge chip with stock cooler? lol, are you high. Good luck with that. In the OP's original post he says he has a liquid cpu cooler, 4.5 is quite high for an ivy bridge even with liquid cooling unless you get a good chip. OCing is all about trial and error and jumping up in small increments to see what your particular chip is capable of, not going balls to the walls at first go. Recommending that a complete novice alter voltage on a cpu is just asking for problems.

I don't know..I go balls to the wall on my first try and have my gpu just under maxed out and my i5-3570k at 4.7ghz...Also I do not suggest doing this at all, I just do it this absurd way because I've been lucky as hell with everything I'ved OCed. I know with my 660ti I'm getting I would take it the slow way and do small jumps and running furmark after each jump for a good bit of time.
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaV View Post
    I don't know..I go balls to the wall on my first try and have my gpu just under maxed out and my i5-3570k at 4.7ghz...Also I do not suggest doing this at all, I just do it this absurd way because I've been lucky as hell with everything I'ved OCed. I know with my 660ti I'm getting I would take it the slow way and do small jumps and running furmark after each jump for a good bit of time.
    I wish i had your luck, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by phred754 View Post
    4.5 ghz on an ivy bridge chip with stock cooler? lol, are you high. Good luck with that. In the OP's original post he says he has a liquid cpu cooler, 4.5 is quite high for an ivy bridge even with liquid cooling unless you get a good chip. OCing is all about trial and error and jumping up in small increments to see what your particular chip is capable of, not going balls to the walls at first go. Recommending that a complete novice alter voltage on a cpu is just asking for problems.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 02:53 AM ----------

Phred = do u even own an ivy bridge cpu? 4.5Ghz at 1.275v nuff said. It will work and it will be stable cause I say so and I'm usually right.
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-11-27 at 02:54 AM.

If I'm allowed to give you advise well.. Let me explain about LLC (load line calibration) which is very important. Varies from bios to bios but I'm just giving an example on my old gigabyte motherboard which didn't have that option LLC.

I needed like 1.36Vcore for the CPU so I went to set this in the bios and booting but I'm only seeing a 1.29V (vdrop) in CPU-z and was lower during full load like 1.27V (vdroop)

To have 1.36Vcore on the CPU I really had to set the Vcore in the bios to 1.45V to have 1.36V in the OS.

The vdro(o)p was just too high and I haven't the option for LLC in my bios >.<

In some cases the voltage is even higher in the OS than you set in the bios.

TLDR you really want a precise voltage in the OS which has to be the same as you putted in the bios even during full load. Varies like 1.275V to 1.28V don't worry about it, it's fine

Something which is interesting as well. Just don't use offset mode on the Vcore, take fixed mode.

If you want to stress it, use small fft's in prime95 because the other two are rather testing the chipset & ram which doesn't have to be tested because you overclocked with the multiplier and your ram is at the same speed.

It's not necessary to stress it, just be patient and wait for the bsod code 0x0000124 and then go ahead increase the Vcore. Normally you shouldn't get a different bsod code I just typed.