Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Impending Genocide of the Rohingya - (WARNING: DISTURBING)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20442923

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/25/wo...tml?hpt=ias_c1

A CNN and BBC article originally alerted me to this, but it seems there's a quasi-genocide happening across the world with most people currently ignorant to it.

It's sickening and OUTRAGING that there are still people out there who impose such misery on their fellow human beings.

What do you think should be done about this? This is an example of where viewing people as subjects of nation-states fails since an individual lacking an official nationality shouldn't deprive that individual of fundamental rights. I think the United States needs to impose sanctions on the Rahkine until they stop their idiotic and putrid behavior towards the Rohingya. To make things worse, Aung San Suu Kyi, someone who I had previously thought to be an untainted voice of reason and democracy in the region, seems less than sympathetic towards the plight of the Rohingya. I suppose I was expecting too much from someone who is really just a glorified politician. She will not stand up for what is right because that would endanger her political career.

It's up to the rest of us to stand up for the underdog.

Deleted
    There's a fair number of genocides going on in the world at the moment. Were you aware of the one in Sudan at the moment?

Groups of roving Islamic militia being paid by the Government to slaughter Black Christians living in the Darfur region of the country. Thousands have been killed and tens of thousands displaced into overcrowded refugee camps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    There's a fair number of genocides going on in the world at the moment. Were you aware of the one in Sudan at the moment?

Groups of roving Islamic militia being paid by the Government to slaughter Black Christians living in the Darfur region of the country. Thousands have been killed and tens of thousands displaced into overcrowded refugee camps.
    Yes, I was aware of that one. The is one of the more well known ones, but unfortunately, it's almost equally neglected.

Deleted
    I consider it rather disgusting that the only nation in the world that has acknowledged the genocide in Sudan as just that is America, every other nation is pissing about with diplomatic cowardice and bollocks. Western societies' ability to stick it's head in the sand is a well practised one I feel.

Deleted
    The US and the EU already have trade sanctions on Burma(even though they were recently eased), but since most of their trade is done with their neighbouring countries the impact is almost non existant.
    Last edited by mmoc8abe560117; 2012-11-27 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post

My understanding is that atrocities are being committed by rebel groups, not roving bands of muslims being paid by govt forces. And you dutifully ignored the fact that thousands of the dead are muslims as well.

You come across as another christian fundamentalist ignoring the plight of muslims being genocided and trying to make it as if the muslims are killing the christians the world over. In fact, it's the christians attacking muslims all over the world. or did you forget iraq, afghanistan, sudan, philipines, and of course palestine.

Deleted
    You come across as another christian fundamentalist
    Except I'm Atheist. Black Christians was used to describe the group that are mainly being targeted, because that's who are being targeted.

As to your 'Understanding' of the situation, the Darfur genocide was the focus of the African section of my Modern Studies course. The Darfur region is predominantly populated by Black Christians, the Government of Sudan is Islamic, the Darfur region has seen a large increase in the number of rebels fighting the Government, so the Sudanese Government responded brutally. The Militia responsible for the attacks are the Janjaweed, largely composed of Arabs from the Northern half of the country.

The Darfur Conflict was a guerrilla conflict or civil war centered on the Darfur region of Sudan. It began in February 2003 when the Sudan Liberation Movement/Army (SLM/A) and Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) groups in Darfur took up arms, accusing the Sudanese government of oppressing non-Arab Sudanese in favor of Sudanese Arabs. It is also known as the Darfur Genocide.
    One side of the conflict was composed mainly of the official Sudanese military and police, and the Janjaweed, a Sudanese militia group recruited mostly from the Arabized indigenous Africans and few Arab Bedouin of the northern Rizeigat
    The other combatants are made up of rebel groups, notably the SLM/A and the JEM, recruited primarily from the non-Arab Muslim Fur, Zaghawa, and Masalit ethnic groups.
    It has nothing to do with favouring one group over the other, I'm simply pointing out the facts. No one is denying that Muslims have died in the conflict, but the largest oppressed group of this genocide are the native African Sudanese from the Darfur region.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyways, veering back on topic, this is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    My understanding is that atrocities are being committed by rebel groups, not roving bands of muslims being paid by govt forces. And you dutifully ignored the fact that thousands of the dead are muslims as well.

You come across as another christian fundamentalist ignoring the plight of muslims being genocided and trying to make it as if the muslims are killing the christians the world over. In fact, it's the christians attacking muslims all over the world. or did you forget iraq, afghanistan, sudan, philipines, and of course palestine.
    Lol no. The Muslims here earned their bad reputation.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    What do you think should be done about this?
    I couldn't careless what happens to them. I just don't want the US getting involved in some other country's internal affairs. If the UN wants to sanction them or whatever fine with me, just please don't ask for the US to get involved militarily.

It's up to the rest of us to stand up for the underdog.
    No it's not. The rest of the world has no obligation to stand up for anyone.

Err...you do know that South Sudan became independent like 2 years ago. And there are no roaming militia's in South Sudan. And Sudan including Darfur is a 100% muslim country. How do I know this? 2 years in El Geneina in West Darfur.

Your Modern Studies professor is a fucking idiot.
    Last edited by Hif; 2012-11-27 at 05:09 AM.
    You can't fix stupid. But damn it you can troll it!

It's sad that this is happening.

And it's also sad there are people saying things like, 'Oh genocides, they happen all the time, no bid deal.'

These are people who are in conditions that most likely nobody on these forums have been through. It does deserve some recognition and it would be nice if something were done about besides trade sanctions on a country we barely trade with anyways.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    I couldn't careless what happens to them. I just don't want the US getting involved in some other country's internal affairs. If the UN wants to sanction them or whatever fine with me, just please don't ask for the US to get involved militarily.

Not to be rude, but you sound sociopathic. This is a classic lack of empathy. We're humans first and foremost. Our nationalities come after that. If other human beings are being brutally murdered somewhere else in the world, we should care about that. While that doesn't necessarily mean that we can get involved and solve all conflicts around the world, we should feel obligated to do as much as we can.

15+ Year Old Account
    No one cares. Probably someone gets rich off it. World as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Lol no. The Muslims here earned their bad reputation.
    are you kidding me? the muslims in the philippines have been 2nd class for ever. constantly being attacked to be christian or put back their beliefs and just racism. The terrorists are a small group of scum called Abu Sayyaf who themselves have been attacked by the islamic representative govt the Moro Islamic Front.

Incidentally when a small group of timorans wanted independance from muslim indonesia australia and the west got very involved and allowed it to happen with no problems. a small island state in phillippines wants freedom and no they're called terrorists and fought tooth and nail by everybody.

this is why muslims don't like you.

Deleted
    Somebody should do something about it, but sending the military to help costs money and money is something that's quite the issue here in the west. You know, the master reich, the problem solvers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post

That's fine, you can stick with your anti-altruistic attitude towards the world. I will be happy to not help you when it's your family that's being persecuted to death, but of course, you wouldn't know what it's like to experience anything like that.

Don't expect myself or anyone else to conform to your sheer imbecilic, sociopathic and myopic views.

The rest of us feel as though we have an obligation to stand up for those who are having their rights violated.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Sadly this is the only sentiment worthy of having. If I started feeling sad for each one of them, I would not be able to find any happiness in my life.
    One good way of looking at such things is that the world is pretty over populated and think of it as an un-natural selection and go home and sleep in peace. Violence is evolving with humanity. People need to learn to stand up for themselves. Look what gandhi did. Live with dignity or be ready to die for what you believe in. Hoping for angels to drop from sky and help you will not work. Every where other countries have interfered, it just makes situations worse.
    Last edited by igame; 2012-11-27 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    That's fine, you can stick with your anti-altruistic attitude towards the world. I will be happy to not help you when it's your family that's being persecuted to death, but of course, you wouldn't know what it's like to experience anything like that.

Don't expect myself or anyone else to conform to your sheer imbecilic, sociopathic and myopic views.

The rest of us feel as though we have an obligation to stand up for those who are having their rights violated.
    Um, no, 'the rest of us' do not.

In US terms anyways, we have problems here that need solving first before we go around trying to police the world. 5 million homeless, another 10 million barely surviving, simple housing with sporadic power/heat/barely enough food to survive. Genocide of our own in the streets of more than a few major cities in the form of gangs, etc. etc.

Why does everyone feel it's our duty to save the world?

And yes, anyone who has a differing viewpoint from your own is imbecilic and sociopathic....

Bottom line is, it's none of our business. There is a functioning government in almost every nation on the planet. If the government is a part of it, it will work itself out in the end

I could give a crap about the world, unless they've got something pointed at someone else that will endanger the worlds air supply, it's just people on people violence, it will never be stopped, these "genocides" are no more important than a random murder anywhere else on the planet, stop fooling yourself.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    YOU don't care . There are a lot of people in the world who do care and wish they could help ...speak for yourself .