Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Worth coming back?

I've been playing SWTOR for the past year, and with that transition to F2P, it sort of hit me: I think I miss WoW.

My brother in law is coming back from an extended absence and wants to play something, and the wife is getting nostalgic as well. My BIL and I started at launch, and my wife started pre-AQ open. We invested many years in.

We're thinking of starting completely fresh. Our toons got hacked, and our combined 17 level 85s got stripped and our GB emptied. Our friends on that side, (Horde, Uldaman) have all quit. So, maybe a fresh start on a new, lower population server.

The question is, of course...is it worth it? Did MOP bring back that magic that was lacking a little with Cata? Is this a good idea, or should we just deal with the F2P conversion with SWTOR and let bygones be bygones?
    When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table...

Deleted
    I have liked MoP so far. What do you want to do in Wow? Raid?

It's unfortunately more of the same. But it depends on whether you like PvE or PvP. I haven't done much of the former, but it seems way too grindy (dailies, heroics etc). PvP is super super bursty, but I am having fun.

I still love to do old stuff for fun, which is always here. I'd say give it a try. You can ask someone to give you a scroll for free play time to try it out. Also MOP is half off right now.

*It's like we get these everyday*

For me MoP was worth it. However, I'm one person out of billions. What I like you might not.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its fun enough to pay $15 a month. But that's my opinion.
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

10+ Year Old Account
    stay with swtor, but we know thats not going to happen, once you say is it worth coming back you already made your mind up.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think so, but that's a pretty subjective question.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    stay with swtor, but we know thats not going to happen, once you say is it worth coming back you already made your mind up.
    Ha, you know, you're probably right. I got online earlier and just sort of wandered around and logged off. I havent seen all the stories yet, and I'd like to. I can do that as F2P though.

I guess I was looking for trolls to come in and say "OMG GTFO GIMME UR STUFZ ITS SO BAD TROLOLOL". You know, the stuff that turned me off in the first place. But I don't see that yet. That's encouraging. Thank you folks for the help!
    When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table...

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't stand swtor, and GW2 failed on so many levels it's an alright game but nothing of a sequel. MoP is ok, and is still currently imo the best MMO out there. You know you guys can do a trial and make a monk, try out the new area's etc, all for free for 10 days. I'd recommend doing that, seeing if it's purely nostalgia or not, and if you enjoy yourself start up your account again buy MoP and play. That's what I did.

edit: also it's only 20 bucks right now.

Well, from my casual PvE point of view, MoP is not worth returning to. It may be the literal weeks of grinding dailies, or perhaps having to share almost everything in the open world with people from different servers, but whatever it is, it has halted my desire to even log on.

I cannot comment on the endgame PvE or PvP because I have not had a part in any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    Well, from my casual PvE point of view, MoP is not worth returning to. It may be the literal weeks of grinding dailies, or perhaps having to share almost everything in the open world with people from different servers, but whatever it is, it has halted my desire to even log on.

I cannot comment on the endgame PvE or PvP because I have not had a part in any of that.
    What was there to do for casual PvE in other expansions? Here a hint: nothing.

Deleted
    Well, from my casual PvE point of view, MoP is not worth returning to. It may be the literal weeks of grinding dailies,.
    They took me two weeks. You don't need to get exalted with all the factions, and equivalent gear is elsewhere. The dailies let you grind at your own pace and play solo if you want.

God, you actually made me defend WoW.

OP: if you like WoW's gameplay, then yes it's worth returning. But guilds aren't necessary to see the game so it has lost the sense of community it once had. That really killed WoW for me but I'm busy IRL anyway and love to PVP so it doesn't matter to me at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    What was there to do for casual PvE in other expansions? Here a hint: nothing.
    10 man raids? Those were incredibly popular among the casual crowd back in Wrath, mostly because they were (semi) easy and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    They took me two weeks. You don't need to get exalted with all the factions, and equivalent gear is elsewhere. The dailies let you grind at your own pace and play solo if you want.

God, you actually made me defend WoW.

OP: if you like WoW's gameplay, then yes it's worth returning. But guilds aren't necessary to see the game so it has lost the sense of community it once had. That really killed WoW for me but I'm busy IRL anyway and love to PVP so it doesn't matter to me at the moment.
    Okee.

For me it was a waste of $70. I played for a month, leveling was alright, but if you're only playing PvE casually LFR and Dailies will get old fucking fast. I got a couple reputations to revered then realized the game was basically reduced to logging on for dailies and LFR for me, and unsubbed. Pet battles and farm dailies didn't really do it for me.

If you want to get back into raiding it might be more fun for you. The casual PvE/quest/profession/exploring aspect of the game is definitely not worth $15 a month though.

10 man raids? Those were incredibly popular among the casual crowd back in Wrath, mostly because they were (semi) easy and fun.
    And we have that still, WITH LFR. So even not counting dailies MoP still has more casual things to do than Wrath.

And we have that still, WITH LFR. So even not counting dailies MoP still has more casual things to do than Wrath.
    Wrath 10 mans ≠ Cata/MoP 10 man raids. LFR is not the same, as there is no actual raiding involved, you just sit there and wait for the boss to die. That's no fun.

Also; Quality > Quantity

Wrath 10 mans ≠ Cata/MoP 10 man raids. LFR is not the same, as there is no actual raiding involved, you just sit there and wait for the boss to die. That's no fun.

Also; Quality > Quantity
    I'm not even talking about Cata. But how do you figure Wrath 10 mans ≠ MoP 10 mans? They are the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    It's worth it to a lot of us, but you have to make up your mind yourself.

I know a lot of people who are just like yourself - come back for a month - and quit again. If that helps any,

Good Luck, and Cheers.

- Your Tank
    -- Dacoolist.com

I'm not even talking about Cata. But how do you figure Wrath 10 mans ≠ MoP 10 mans? They are the same.
    I included Cataclysm because it's the same model that MoP follows.

Also, I take it you never raided in Wrath? The 10 mans in Wrath were far different from 10 mans in MoP. For one, the difficulty was not on par with 25 man, making it far more casual friendly. Of course this led to "lesser" gear, but I was okay with that. Another difference is the fact that they had separate lockouts (10 & 25) meaning that 10 mans attracted all kinds of people; casuals, hardcore, softcore, etc, who didn't have to worry about their main getting saved.

Overall it was a great system that allowed casuals to experience what a real raid is like, while offering some benefits for most.

I guess it's also worth mentioning that I raided semi-hardcore in both Wrath and Cata.
    Last edited by Chaochamp; 2012-11-27 at 04:21 AM.

There's nothing about this expansion that is better than any of the others. On an innovation level it's as lacking as Cataclysm, on story even more. Cataclysm they retconned DW's death out of Warcraft 2, in this one they actually turned a joke into a playable joke.

But if you miss the PVP and/or the people posting Recount in chat every 5 minutes in a raid, then there's still plenty of that, for only 15$ a month, and your soul.