Gold Making Hypnotic Dust

outdated 11
    Last edited by amherian; 2014-01-29 at 04:19 PM.

One thing that needs to be taken into account (which it appears it wasn't given that you have a guild bank full of it you've just held on to for a few months) is that the reason hypnotic dust is high and the reason this might not be a good method is because Elementium Ore/Obsidium Ore/Embersilk Cloth is not being farmed and sold at the same high rate, low price that it was at. Good video, with a good tip, but to anyone who wishes to try that, consider this first.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Previous expansion mats are always lucrative, and especially Northrend and Cataclysm now that everyone is busy with MoP content and dailys.

My most profitable dust as enchanter (from most expensive to least): illusion, infinite, hypnotic, arcane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Previous expansion mats are always lucrative, and especially Northrend and Cataclysm now that everyone is busy with MoP content and dailys.

My most profitable dust as enchanter (from most expensive to least): illusion, infinite, hypnotic, arcane.
    Gotta agree with this. I started getting into playing the AH with the shattering of Abyss Crystals and selling the dusts for high prices. It was a great way to start making some money and probably still is (I'd still be doing it if I didn't feel financially secure with making DMCs).

18g each?! I soooo wish that was the case on my realm. I bought 30 000 dusts for about 30-40s each in Cata to save up, so I would be making a lot of money if they sold for 18g on my realm. Instead they sell for 4-5g each.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploitbat View Post
    18g each?! I soooo wish that was the case on my realm. I bought 30 000 dusts for about 30-40s each in Cata to save up, so I would be making a lot of money if they sold for 18g on my realm. Instead they sell for 4-5g each.
    That's still a nice little profit ...LOL

ya, did the same, bought a few in Cata (5 full guildbank-tabs), selling now for around 8-10g each... as people say, it's always been like this with old mats from previous expansions... nothing new under the sun...

Quote Originally Posted by Town Drunk View Post
    That's still a nice little profit ...LOL

It is, but would be huge if I could resell them for 18g each instead of 5g.

5*30 000 = 150 000
    18*30 000 = 540 000

Glad I hoarded 3 bank tabs full of hypnotic dust in the last miles of cata JC shuffling

Sad that my servers' economy blows and that the time spent posting versus the amount of sales just isn't worth it so I just pick random trade spammers every other week and sell a cpl stacks 100g/stack to help them out.

This is still working as of patch 5.2 , hypnotic dust is selling for crazy prices

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure the easier way to get gold is to just sell the raw mats, and it certainly would be from a gold per hour standpoint. Cata mats in general are just crazy in price, so the raw mats will sell for just as crazy prices as the Hypnotic dust does. And if you are going to buy the materials to do this I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll barely make anything by doing it. Besides if you are going to do this at least do something smart with the dust, like making bags out of it or something. That's what I used my backlog of Hypnotic dust on after Mists hit.

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post

That is true. Well I know how much of a roadblock Infinite Dust and Cosmic Essence use to be during Cataclysm. This was before many realized about the Abyss Crystal shatter shuffle.

Too many people now know the secrets. Taking into account how easy most of WTLK content is to solo, there seems to be an abundance of crystals, dusts and essences on the AH. Crystals use to sell for around 40G+ for a bit. I would sometimes find them for less than 10G. However, they seem to be holding out at a steady 15-20G a piece.

Infinite dust use to sell for close to 200G/stack. They barely pass 100g/stack and go as low as 50-60G/stack. I wouldn't say the shuffle isn't profitable these days but, the drop of price on cosmic esscences really hurt the shuffle on my realm. They sell for less than 50 "SILVER" yes I said "SILVER" each considering they use to sell for aroud 20G each the first time I levelled my Enchanter.

I've tried resetting the prices on numerous occasions; buying out the entire market, however, it would go back in a few days. Its just that people are sitting on tons and tons of old world mats with nothing to use it on. Old world content too has become so trivial where any class can solo most Heroic Dungeons and certain raids.

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 11:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I'm pretty sure the easier way to get gold is to just sell the raw mats, and it certainly would be from a gold per hour standpoint. Cata mats in general are just crazy in price, so the raw mats will sell for just as crazy prices as the Hypnotic dust does. And if you are going to buy the materials to do this I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll barely make anything by doing it. Besides if you are going to do this at least do something smart with the dust, like making bags out of it or something. That's what I used my backlog of Hypnotic dust on after Mists hit.

I do agree on this. Cata mats are way more expensive than any point of time when the WTLK were overpriced. I don't recall Infinite Dusts selling for 18G/each and the the sad thing is that there is such a limited supply for these mats, the competition is limited and there isn't much undercutting to drive the price down. Its an enticing venture to make gold via this method, but again I've never been a fan of spending hours simply grinding mobs.

I've tried making bags and was successful for a bit but you often find complete morons that come and undercut you by 200g flat. There isn't any logic involved other than a quick sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Kind of interesting that the once cheap Infinite Dust is now very Expensive whilst the once Expensive Maelstrom Crystals cost under 2g on my Server.
    I think you meant Hypnotic Dust or I could be wrong.

But the reason is simply the abundance of Maelstrom Crystals available to the dusts. People ain't doing the ore shuffle, the price of ores has also gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    I think you meant Hypnotic Dust or I could be wrong.

But the reason is simply the abundance of Maelstrom Crystals available to the dusts. People ain't doing the ore shuffle, the price of ores has also gone up.
    Its because Maelstrom crystals arent used for leveling enchanting or for embersilk bags. You really dont need many shard for any level and the only reason Abyss crystals are worth a lot is because they can be made into expensive dust. Theres no demand for maelstrom while there is a lot for dust.

After MoP will be interesting since you can turn mats into what you need. It will probably keep all of them expensive with prices based on the ratio to the most expensive mat.