Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What are more powerful dots? DS or Tinket procs?

I have a "not easy to answer" question.
    What is to do when I refresh all my dots at the end of Dark Soul and then some seconds later all my trinekts proc? Should I refresh then to gain the more spellpower or is the hastebuff from DS stronger? ( My trinkets/proccs are Light of cosmos hero; relic from yulon, Jade spirit,)

10+ Year Old Account
    Refreshing in those situations doesn't clear the haste buff from Dark Soul or anything, and you don't get a lot of extra power on your dots from refreshing that soon. Just slap 'em with a Fel Flame to get some of that going, and then make sure to fully refresh your dots with SB:SS when those Int buffs are falling off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSoup View Post
    Refreshing in those situations doesn't clear the haste buff from Dark Soul or anything, and you don't get a lot of extra power on your dots from refreshing that soon. Just slap 'em with a Fel Flame to get some of that going, and then make sure to fully refresh your dots with SB:SS when those Int buffs are falling off.
    What? 10 characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Einomies View Post
    What? 10 characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorinx View Post
    Should I refresh then to gain the more spellpower or is the hastebuff from DS stronger?
    The way he worded that makes it sound like he thinks he has to choose between one or the other.

That's what.

Deleted
    The way he worded that makes it sound like he thinks he has to choose between one or the other.

That's what.
    But you are saying that a new refresh after DS buff goes off of him doesn't clear the haste buff from dots? Or what are you trying to say with that, I can't understand...
    Or maybe I have completely missed how our dots react with buffs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Einomies View Post
    But you are saying that a new refresh after DS buff goes off of him doesn't clear the haste buff from dots? Or what are you trying to say with that, I can't understand...
    Or maybe I have completely missed how our dots react with buffs
    lol, it's fine.

The way it works right now with Pandemic is, the separate parts of your dot before and after a refresh share different "snapshots" of your stats. So in this instance, where he had additional Haste from Dark Soul (say for argument's sake that this duration was 100% of its natural duration), and refreshed his dots WITHOUT the dark soul buff, but with an Int buff, then 2/3rds of that dot would tick as if you had more haste, and then the final 1/3rd would tick as if you had less haste than the former part, but they would tick harder.

It's really weird and interesting how all of that works, but really easy to get the grasp of - made even easier by addons that track that sort of thing.

Deleted
    lol, it's fine.

The way it works right now with Pandemic is, the separate parts of your dot before and after a refresh share different "snapshots" of your stats. So in this instance, where he had additional Haste from Dark Soul (say for argument's sake that this duration was 100% of its natural duration), and refreshed his dots WITHOUT the dark soul buff, but with an Int buff, then 2/3rds of that dot would tick as if you had more haste, and then the final 1/3rd would tick as if you had less haste than the former part, but they would tick harder.

It's really weird and interesting how all of that works, but really easy to get the grasp of - made even easier by addons that track that sort of thing.
    If that's the case, then the new "god addon" called AffDots is not working properly as it updates the modifiers for dots as soon as you refresh them.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol, it's fine.

Yeah, but that whole smoothing out principle you are refering to is being removed with patch 5.1 this week, so please don't spread this information around further and confuse people. For all intents and purposes, if a buff falls off it's gone if you refresh a dot.

On the matter of what weighs more DS or several INT procs together, I'm not mathy enough to give a definitive answer but the safe bet is on having all the INT combined. If just 1 INT proc, keep DS going.

10+ Year Old Account
    [/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yeah, but that whole smoothing out principle you are refering to is being removed with patch 5.1 this week, so please don't spread this information around further and confuse people. For all intents and purposes, if a buff falls off it's gone if you refresh a dot.

On the matter of what weighs more DS or several INT procs together, I'm not mathy enough to give a definitive answer but the safe bet is on having all the INT combined. If just 1 INT proc, keep DS going.
    That's not what the "smoothing-out" issue with dots was, and it only applies to varying levels of spellpower. Secondary buffs for post and pre-refreshing were never affected by that.
    Last edited by MisterSoup; 2012-11-27 at 07:58 AM.

Deleted
    It recommends that you refresh dots at the optimal point for Pandemic's benefit, and then scales according to that. So no, working just fine
    No no no, as quoted from OP at AffDots thread "Number on top is dot damage based on your current stats, number on bottom is active dot power on target.".

If you cast, say for example UA on target without any buffs up, and after 2 ticks, you get let's say a powerful int buff.
    It shows your upper number higher than bottom(current dot), as supposed to. But if you refresh that UA, it shows that bottom number as powerful as upper one.
    And with your theory the dot should still run without the benefit from the int buff, so bottom number should be lower...

Or maybe it was that "smoothing" you were referring to...

This is just entirely wrong.
    http://wowupgrade.com/ - instant gear comparison for all classes / specs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobuchul View Post
    So correct what I said then, since you know so very much apparently

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobuchul View Post
    Thank you, great to see that I'm not alone here

10+ Year Old Account
    [/COLOR]

That's not what the "smoothing-out" issue with dots was, and it only applies to varying levels of spellpower. Secondary buffs for post and pre-refreshing were never affected by that.
    Then what are you on about? If you refresh a dot when a secondary stat buff is not present it doesn't take into account any previous stats. If what you say is correct then you 'd get a dot ticking for more damage in the first ticks then you'd get it to tick for the later ticks, based on when you refresh. You'd never be able to NOT take full advantage of any secondarey stat buffs, cause you'd simply roll them into a new dot?

If this is not what you mean, then I'm sorry I misunderstood you, but then you better explain clearly what you mean, cause this is all confusing and misinforming for people.

Deleted
    So correct what I said then, since you know so very much apparently
    Just for fun tested this MisterSoups theory on target dummy.
    Got rid of trinkets and weapon so I don't have any procs, just my glove engineer tinker.
    Applied UA on dummy, it did ~5380 tick damage, after 2 ticks I popped my engineer tinker and refreshed UA by hardcasting it before 3rd tick.
    Rest of the UAs till the end ticked for 6135 damage per tick.
    In MisterSoups theory, I would have got more of those 5380 ticks...

Also, tested this in the "pandemic window", ticks got to 6135 right after i refreshed my UA with more powerful one.

So stop spreading bullshit.
    Last edited by mmoc5112d29a08; 2012-11-27 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added a quote

Anyone else still using the 463 Flashfrozen rezin on use Intellect trinket? It gives 4k intellect for 25 seconds every 2.5 minutes.
    I have the DMC trinket in my second slot. I also have the Light of the Cosmos trinket but I just leave it in my bags because I find playing with two proc trinkets just makes Affliction gameplay terribly messy and unpredictable. Running with an on use trinket results in smoother gameplay just because I dont have to juggle two procs (4 if you count the weapon enchant and lightweave embroidery). Besides that I macro'd it to my opener SB:SS + blood fury so I always get an powerfull dot going right from the start. Then al my procs go off, I wait for the pandemic window to open up and refresh my dots with another SB:SS. Using two proc trinkets totally messes up the ideal opening for me.

Unfortunately there are no other on use sp trinkets, dropping from raids Damn you blizz.

Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    Unfortunately there are no other on use sp trinkets, dropping from raids Damn you blizz.
    You can get Static-Caster's Medallion (or the alliance version obviously) in 5.1 at least.

Yeah thats awesome, definitely going for that one!

Deleted
    from what ive read, that trinket is rather undesirable since it isnt upgradable, dunno if its true, personally i dont like on-use trinkets, i prefer proc trinks but maybe im just lazy when it comes to trink usage.

Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    from what ive read, that trinket is rather undesirable since it isnt upgradable, dunno if its true, personally i dont like on-use trinkets, i prefer proc trinks but maybe im just lazy when it comes to trink usage.
    Too lazy to make a macro?