Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Mara was probably the worst, only because you could literally run in circles for an hour and never find it. Personally I hate the corpse runs much less than actually getting to some of these places as an Alliance on a PvP server. Getting to SM sucked, and just getting inside sucked even more. Getting to RFD was almost as bad, but at least the odds were you were going to be higher level than most people in the Barrens. Its the reason most Alliance never did WC or RFK, at least on a PvP server.

I won't even start about the "penalty" you get when you die in a raid instance. I think a raid group loses at least 30 minutes of raiding time on corpse running...

Lets all get god mode in raids. remove dying from the game.

They should go back to the old system how things are now. You cant die with leveling gear. ANd if you do. You deserve to run back

Deleted
    Worst for me was brd when on jailbreak quest , or UBRS , I kept missing the jump in ghost form....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Five Words; Sunken BASTARD Temple Corpse Run.

Kill it...KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post
    AGREED! God that place drove me nuts... I get confused at the best of times...
    Ooh yeah.... I remember.. >.<

Deleted
    Lot's of good memories when reading this

Surprised that nobody said "BRD/UBRS/MC and while running from the GY to the mountain, you would fall down in to the Dark Iron Dwarf cave." Now you are stuck as a ghost, in a shitty maze-like hole, while the grp/raid is waiting for YOU...
    Or maybe AQ before they put in the portals - Wipe on twins, and you had to run all the way there. Especially bad if you didn't have a mount (not a big problem for my guild, since we farmed the first trash-pack until everybody got a mount - kill all-1, run out and reset.).
    The run to Major Domo was also quite long. If talking about world-deaths, I'd say back in Vanilla while trying to cross an "opposite faction"-controlled zone. Running from Arathi to Badlands or STV to Burning Steppes wasn't all that fun. Not something you did often, but it was required at least once to get the flightpoints.

Anyway... the original EU-post should probably be split into two. One is the ghostform and running to where you died(or into the instance) - most of us will agree that isn't really a big issue.
    Then there is the Res Sickness. Normally this doesn't bother me - it's the price of failure. However when they pull forth a rare-mob like Major Nanners(the MoP-rare with the best loot - aka the Whistle!), give him a fairly random 1-shot ability (jump up jump up and get down!), and THEN put him in a place where you need to spirit-res if you die... That annoys me a bit. If I avoid the jumps I barely get under 90% hp as a furywarrior - if I get an unlucky jump.. boom, 1-shot. Spirit-res inc. Give me a 5-10 minutes walk up there, fine. But don't put a rare-mob with a 1-shot ability, that forces you to spirit-res if you get hit by it.

Wiping and running for minutes, and people complain, so now most GYs are right in front of the instances.

Yes I know the game back then have harsh punishments for mistakes, but I seldom come across people who complain about those problems, because the game back then was not designed for people who only got a few minutes to play/day.

Now with those people who 'doesn't have much time to play everyday' pushing the game to go their way, they complain with everything that is considered 'a waste of time' for them, ever thought of it being designed that way? To make things take longer and slow progression for those who make mistakes? Back then with all those consequences people do NOT want to fail and actually play the game the best they could(yes I know some are still pretty bad but at least they were trying whenever they are in a group).

Look at it now? random heroics? LFR? People just afk whenever they want, come into the dungeons/LFR in greens without reforge/enchants/gems, or even using the wrong gears for the wrong spec just to get enough ilvl to get in for the run.

People just don't care anymore, 'I pay for $15/month so let me do whatever I want, even when I'm trying to be a jack4ass.'

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    How does it make you a better player or enhance the gaming experience to spend 15 minutes slowly walking back to your corpse?
    Makes you try harder to stay alive than today's nappy brats who want their mummies to drive them back because it is sooo hard for them to do anything by themselves

Quote Originally Posted by the9tail View Post
    I guess you dont see a problem with the incentive not to die is due to a maze-like return to your corpse? srsly? Is this your take on thrilling gameplay?
    Well, no. What's implied here is a desire to not die, the incentive would be to live which... is already as big an incentive as it can be. So, all you're really left with is to make suck when you die. Personally, I think the fear of death could be stronger now. However, corpse runs are a dated way of doing this (much like losing all your gear was when WoW launched).

Sadly, I lack the on the spot creative mind to create a new idea or take on the situation, but that doesn't mean it's fine the way it is.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    How is it even possible to wipe in any dungeon much less low level dungeons?
    When some of us started playing dungeons, and quests, were a challenge. No looms, no gold to buy greens at the start, we worked at it. Now the game is geared so small boys who are still having their arses wiped by their mummies can float through and cry their little eyes out when the game dares let them die. One can see though who will not be realm first raiders but special snowflakes, as long as their mummies are holding their hands and their daddies paying their bills, probably until they are into their 30s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxyra View Post
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...death-penalty/

Random elites wandering zones all the time, that if you ran into, GG dead, there's nothing like that anymore, sure they wanted to get us out into the world, but then they made the world boring because of these kind of complaints.
    And people are worried about having to run for like 30 seconds tops to reach their corpse.
    #FaithInHumanityGone
    Dying to a wandering elite was fun? And running for minutes was fun because....???
    Weird sense of fun you have there... at least different to mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    How is it even possible to wipe in any dungeon much less low level dungeons?
    Well, if the tank is new and does not know his rotation or how to hold aggro, if DPS just runs ahead and pulls and dies, if the healer isn't using heallium or healbot and is clicking/targeting all their heals... or you use RDF just after the kids are out of school... and the list goes on. This is why I only run with guildies and only have 2 toons. Tankadin (up and coming) and a Guardian Druid (w/ feral DPS). Can't leave dungeons to random chance anymore lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    Dying to a wandering elite was fun? And running for minutes was fun because....???
    They took away the sense the the world was large and dangerous. That took away much of the fun for me atleast. I guess that is what Oxyra is trying to say.

Now people just whine and want it all served on a plate. There is no fun in that. All I see are spoiled brats that whats their way because they can't put down more time in to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Five Words; Sunken BASTARD Temple Corpse Run.
    Shudders..... god that was horrible

BRD wasn't any better either such a big dungeon.
    and mauradon without the easy mode tel port nowadays back then people got lost so many times in the caves running back to the instance XD fun times.

Deleted
    I miss the palpable frustration as I was killed again by Kurzen Medicinemen, believing it was my right to come back again and smite them and -just be lucky enough this time- to get past the inevitable respawns. It made me feel alive, ironically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who honestly die outside in the world anymore ? Fresh players might do so, but really. There's no danger anymore in the world, unless you seek it. Like going to a much higher lvl zone, and you might die unless you can get away.

It's often annoying to die, but it's not THAT much of a deal..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    Dying = fun? No. - Being "forced" to stay focused so you didn't die = fun? Sometimes. At least it made the world more compelling. When I raid LFR I use a lot of the time watching tv or browsing the interweb, while still going top5 dps(no, it's not hard or an impressive feat - just goes to show that it isn't needed to focus anymore.). Is that fun? Would I do it if I didn't have a chance to get loot? No.

The argument is always something like "I don't want to be forced to do something I don't like to do in a game" or "I don't want to work to get X when I'm playing a game in my spare time for fun". The result is a game that has become easier and less penalizing when a player makes mistakes. It simply doesn't matter that much anymore. You could then say "lol, but where are your HC-kills if it's that easy?" but that's not really the issue. I don't raid HC because I simply don't have the time for it anymore. I've raided 5hours+/day 6 days a week(personal record is a raid of 13 hours straight with 30min lunch break) - then I took an arrow to the knee, a GF and a baby, so it's just not possible for me anymore.
    When there was a chance of dying, I felt the world more fun to play in - actually trying to solo the elite-quests in hinterlands was quite fun. It is almost impossible to find those situations now. I loved the Cata-heroics because they where actually hard(at least in the beginning) - now it's just faceroll through everything(not as much as wotlk, but still...). 1-shotting everything in Terrace with an LFR-grp the first week it comes out without anyone explaining anything is not compelling gameplay - and it's not satisfactory to "see the content" like that. I might as well just watch a 1h cinematic and then roll some loot-dices.

So no - corpse-running isn't fun. But feel free to find an alternative "punishment" that makes dying something you try to avoid at all costs. Something that rewards you for staying alive - not with gold or purple items, but with actual sense of accomplishment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitetroll View Post
    Lot's of good memories when reading this

Surprised that nobody said "BRD/UBRS/MC and while running from the GY to the mountain, you would fall down in to the Dark Iron Dwarf cave." Now you are stuck as a ghost, in a shitty maze-like hole, while the grp/raid is waiting for YOU...
    Or maybe AQ before they put in the portals - Wipe on twins, and you had to run all the way there. Especially bad if you didn't have a mount (not a big problem for my guild, since we farmed the first trash-pack until everybody got a mount - kill all-1, run out and reset.).
    The run to Major Domo was also quite long. If talking about world-deaths, I'd say back in Vanilla while trying to cross an "opposite faction"-controlled zone. Running from Arathi to Badlands or STV to Burning Steppes wasn't all that fun. Not something you did often, but it was required at least once to get the flightpoints.

Anyway... the original EU-post should probably be split into two. One is the ghostform and running to where you died(or into the instance) - most of us will agree that isn't really a big issue.
    Then there is the Res Sickness. Normally this doesn't bother me - it's the price of failure. However when they pull forth a rare-mob like Major Nanners(the MoP-rare with the best loot - aka the Whistle!), give him a fairly random 1-shot ability (jump up jump up and get down!), and THEN put him in a place where you need to spirit-res if you die... That annoys me a bit. If I avoid the jumps I barely get under 90% hp as a furywarrior - if I get an unlucky jump.. boom, 1-shot. Spirit-res inc. Give me a 5-10 minutes walk up there, fine. But don't put a rare-mob with a 1-shot ability, that forces you to spirit-res if you get hit by it.
    Oh god done that, auto running then falling down that damm hole then taking forever to get back out. Painful memories.

Deleted
    Tbh i palyed during vanilla and started about mid vanilla. I dont see why its so complicated or hard to find the entrance. Back in those days you actually ran to the dungeons most of the times so after the first time you knew how to get there. How can it be complicated after that :P? im guessing extremly bad memory or due to memory loss...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melak View Post
    Tbh i palyed during vanilla and started about mid vanilla. I dont see why its so complicated or hard to find the entrance. Back in those days you actually ran to the dungeons most of the times so after the first time you knew how to get there. How can it be complicated after that :P? im guessing extremly bad memory or due to memory loss...
    Use to run strat gauntlet several times a day ,main problem was finding someone with the bloody key, same as scholo and brd lol