Quote Originally Posted by Valenhil View Post
    What's mass murder got to do with anything here?
    Because people are saying "live like the rest of the world" and calling out the US on gun violence when shit like what happened in Norway is ignored.

you break into someones house, you dont deserve sympathy, yes the guy didn't need to shoot them multiple times and should have called the police after they were shot, where the kids armed?,i believe in defending your home and valuables and robbers need to be taught a big lesson and a message needs to be sent so others will think twice
    notice how the link they are saying how good these kids were and how they shouldn't be demonized, its their faults for robbing

Quote Originally Posted by Tryggve View Post
    They had robbed him in the past,they got what was coming to them.
    That's funny, because I don't see a conviction on their records.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Protection > retribution.
    Prevention > protection > retribution

I'm really not sure how having your house getting broken into repeatedly makes you think, DEADLY FORCE KILL THEM EXECUTE!!! If every time they break in they take stuff and try to avoid you. Like what the fuck is that about? It's no longer self defense and more about revenge for his stuff at that point.

Fairly unambiguous case: the kids were stupid for stealing; geezer wasn't right in the head for doing what he did. Nothing new, and something that is bound to repeat itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I think so too, but I can also see the possibility of a lawyer making a case based on the grounds of emotionally and mentally disturbed.
    How I could see it be done? Using his actions to his defense.
    No sane person would so what he did.. Sitting there, waiting for his then victims approach him. It's inhumane what he did.
    1. murder:
    He shoots the guy. Guy falls down the stairs. Then he shoots him in the face. What sane person shoots someone in the face? The sheer thought of that creeps every sane person out. I am sure anyone who served in the military and seen bodies of shot people can confirm that this is a very nasty picture. it's not nearly as harmless as movies and tv shows make it look..

2. murder:
    What he did to that girl is psychopathic behavior. The description of her death, from the first shot on, is subject to a splatter horror movie.

And then his confession. Freely telling the whole story...... I don't know..
    On e can argue he's out of his mind putting all that guilt on himself.

You know what I mean now?
    I understand what you mean, but i disagree.

The first thing, calmly waiting is basically what any rational person do. You're safe, and the other is almost chanceless. I guess most of us have done it in games, being a "camper". It's a calm, logic behavior.

The guy that got shot in the face could be said to be affect, or happening in the heat, so he could go away with that.

The butchering of the girl is completely insane, and mostly the reason i'm so disgusted by how much people defend his right to do it.
    It's the end of her and how he even tells it afterwards that makes him rational.

I guess he's a psycopath. Knowing what is right and wrong, but not having emotions for people but himself.
    I don't know how the laws is there, but here you get jailed, if you know what's right and wrong, and chose to ignore it, like he most likely did.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Sealed Shut View Post
    Please, pray tell how you would prevent either the OP's story, or the one i linked???
    I wouldn't personally do anything, because this sort of thing is fixed on a larger format than in my personal life. But how many stories of this nature come from Australia? You could find MAYBE one or two, but you would be hard pressed to even do that. It is a structural change to the legal system which helps to prevent homicidal outcomes of minor crimes and it works.

They had robbed him in the past,they got what was coming to them.
    This is what makes it even worse. If the same people keep robbing you, and not attacking you, at what point do you snap and go I must defend myself to the point of executing them? It wasn't self defense, it was "the next time they break into my house I am kill them"

Seems more like first degree murder now instead of 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    If the law was infallible like anti-gun people want you to believe then they would have been in jail by now instead of on the autopsy table.

Deleted
    Shouldn't have tried to rob his place then. Sure, it was overzealous but it's hard to have sympathy for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkin View Post
    Prevention > protection > retribution
    Well, you'll excuse me if I think it's better to give people guns for protection than to make them live in bunkers with no windows.

Also, just for the record, if you ever see me break into your house to steal things, feel free to shoot me in the head. At that point I absolutely will deserve it.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Read the article posted in the beginning of the thread.

Everyone needs to read Minnesota Statue 609.065 before commenting again.

609.065 JUSTIFIABLE TAKING OF LIFE.

The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode.
    There's no "reasonable belief" that a teenager that has been shot and lying on the floor is in any way going to inflict any harm or commit a felony. This was murder the instant he fired again.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2012-11-27 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Since he is allowed to use Deadly Force, which suggest he is allowed to kill them I don't see what can be over the top. Killing them is killing them which is allowed, shouldn't matter what he does beyond that point. Though I agree its unfortunate that they died. That doesn't mean the homeowner should be charged with second-degree murder. Think of it like this, you get less pay in your paycheck if you work harder. That is the same thing that happen to him, he got charged because he went over the top (with the top being the teens being dead already). Atleast that is what it sounds to me.
    Deadly force if simply what you can use to stop people. You can shoot or stab a guy for trying to harm you or for some fucked up reason while they're stealing your stuff and posing no threat. You can't go around executing people once you have incapacitated them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkin View Post
    So PREVENT home invasion rather than kill the people doing it. As i have said numerous times. Then you don't need guns. Once again; prevention>retribution.
    i think the dude should go down hard. that said, i dont agree with this.

my grandpa has a saying that applies here i think: if someone wants to break in, they are going to get in. locks just keep honest folks honest

Read the article posted in the beginning of the thread.
    The article never states those two were the ones that robbed him previously.

I would not kill em,i would cut off theire legs with a chainsaw so they cant rob people anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post

my grandpa has a saying that applies here i think: if someone wants to break in, they are going to get in. locks just keep honest folks honest
    Yeah but when you have a security system with alarms and all that, it is a clear deterrent. This guy kept getting broken into and decided to straight kill them. Every time he got broken into there wasn't a threat to his life, and they didn't have weapons, so exactly why did he decide to kill them? It merely wasn't self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post

But keep in mind, when i say crime prevention i don't necessarily mean locks or security systems or bunkers. I'm talking about educational reforms minimizing criminal activity in youth, limiting or restricting access to lethal arms, situation crime prevention like increasing patrols in high crime areas. Stuff like that. Giving someone a gun does nothing to structurally correct the issue at hand.