Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    3rd if you have a good telescope you can still see the flag planted on the moon.
    This has been repeated several times on the forums lately and while I wish it were true, it's not. Just to view the largest Apollo hardware left behind on the lunar surface (like the descent stages or LRVs), you'd need a telescope with 100 meters of aperture, which is about ten times larger than the biggest optical telescopes on Earth. To resolve something as small as the flags, you'd need to bump that up to 200 meters.

I think people have gotten confused about this from seeing popular articles (like this) talking about the flags still standing on the lunar surface -- but the imagery used to make that determination came from the LROC camera aboard Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, not Earth-based telescopes.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 02:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by salamala View Post
    NASA has a bad habit of saying something awesome and ground breaking and when they finally tell us, most are like uhh yea that was completely not interesting to us laymen.
    In this case, it wasn't NASA hyping anything up though. Joe Palca, the NPR journalist who was hanging out in John Grotzinger's office (Curiosity's Principal Investigator) for an interview, picked up on his excitement about the observations he and his team were working on in advance of the AGU conference. That somehow got translated into an article with the title "Big News from Mars?" and from there the speculation in the press went apeshit. This was never an official NASA announcement or statement.

What you mention has happened before though (and with disastrous results in that case), so I understand the sentiment. It's just not what happened in this instance.

I dont think anything they announce could make me that excited even if they said we found the bones of an ancient alien I would be like well i want to see a living one , only thing that ever gets me in a bad mood is worrying I wont get to see the day Humans find out what the "Bigger Picture" is about all this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gullfaraz View Post
    I doubt it's something as huge as life on Mars. Maybe more along the lines of it has the potential to sustain life, in the future.

I don't know. At any rate, I am ridiculously excited to find out what this could be. I mean... if it IS life, then everything changes. Everything.
    Whatever the Curiosity rover has found, it's not evidence of life on Mars

They've found the entrance to the Noctis Labyrinth where Mag'ladroth sleeps.

http://www.techradar.com/news/world-...er-all-1115437

"John was excited about the quality and range of information coming in from SAM during the day a reporter happened to be sitting in John's office last week," Webster said. "He has been similarly excited by results at other points during the mission so far."

pretty much ends the discussion. lol...

10+ Year Old Account
    I find this to be really interesting and exciting but the thing is if we found something as big as finding life on Mars I don't think the government would allow NASA to release the truth. They would want them to just lie and say something dull and boring like it's some new kind of rock or something. Maybe I'm wrong but I just KNOW the government has their eyes all over NASA right now. It's the same way with the other "exciting" news from NASA before.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2012-11-27 at 11:41 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    I find this to be really interesting and exciting but the thing is if we found something as big as finding life on Mars I don't think the government would allow NASA to release the truth. They would want them to just lie and say something dull and boring like it's some new kind of rock or something. Maybe I'm wrong but I just KNOW the government has their eyes all over NASA right now. It's the same way with the other "exciting" news from NASA before.
    Yup. This is true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by salamala View Post
    NASA has a bad habit of saying something awesome and ground breaking and when they finally tell us, most are like uhh yea that was completely not interesting to us laymen. My pridiction is they found a black rock where there should only be red rocks - and they have no clue how it got there... fascinating.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith_(Space_Odyssey)

I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    unless its all dead life and has undergone the process to become oil, in which case there will be a mad rush to get rigs set up on mars.

The other half of the Mayan calender that goes all the way up to 3012?
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why the government would want to hide existence of life on Mars. It would obviously be either dead or microbial. I don't agree with it, but I could see the government hiding information about intelligent life form until they worked out how they wanted to handle the situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find this to be really interesting and exciting but the thing is if we found something as big as finding life on Mars I don't think the government would allow NASA to release the truth. They would want them to just lie and say something dull and boring like it's some new kind of rock or something. Maybe I'm wrong but I just KNOW the government has their eyes all over NASA right now.
    This has been a mainstay plot device in sci-fi movie scripts going back to the 1950s but it's not how things work in reality. Think about it: the organizational structure of NASA missions like Curiosity is comprised of various teams of scientists, from the individual instruments themselves to the project as a whole. All the mission details and findings are shared throughout the teams with the principal investigator in the lead, keeping the project manager up to speed, and so on down the line to the Science Operations Working Group.

It's not like when they discover something new that they have to go outside the agency to Congress and the White House asking "Hey guys, is it okay if we share these results with the public?" and then wait for a thumbs-up or otherwise. Communicating their results with other scientists and the public is an existing part of their job responsibilities, for which they already have approval. These guys are all tied in to educational institutions and laboratories in addition to whatever capacity they hold as NASA employees. There is no way you could keep entire teams of excited scientists, engineers, and academics quiet about anything.

Additionally, NASA as a whole has an existing obligation to share its information. That's why such huge quantities of documents, pictures and data are available to scientists and the public. NASA would get in serious trouble for hiding anything, and it's not like they'd want to anyway. A truly earth-shattering discovery like the existence of microbial life on Mars would guarantee significant increases in funding for science operations and likely future human exploration.

Seriously, it's time to leave the conspiracy angle in cheesy science fiction movies where it belongs.

They've found the Mechanicum. Now all that's left is for the Emperor of Mankind to begin The Great Crusade.

going to go with liquid water, or maybe even some naturally occuring amino acids, though that could be stretching it. We shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

All it takes is one fossil, hell one strain of dna.....and the world goes mad.

Well this would all coincide nicely with the mass awakening of human conciousness thats due soon... 21/12 or something....
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

If we discover life on another planet, perhaps we will again be a world of explorers rather than a world focused on greed and domination.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Francium

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I'm going to guess it is something related to water. I highly doubt it's related to life.

Water is related to life lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazzle.d View Post
    The other half of the Mayan calender that goes all the way up to 3012?
    Umm the myan calander goes up a lot higher than the people realize, we are at the end of the first pictun, which has a count of twenty. This is not the highest count either, the alautun which counts to 20 has a count of 63,081,429 years which means the Mayan calendar is good until 1,261,628,580ce +- 10k years, I seriously doubt any human will be around when it runs out.