Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

anyone else get really sidetracked when browsing the web?

this happens to me a lot, generally when im looking at pictures or something on google images. for instance earlier this afternoon i was looking at some pictures of m4's on google images and decided to do a little reading about them on wikipedia, which led me to read about wars they have been used in, which led me to reading about desert storm, and on to norman schwarzkopf and etc. etc. before i knew it several hours had past and i believe the last thing i was reading about was the manhattan project. a few months ago there was a thread on here where we were voting on a superhero/villian tournament. i found myself often reading article after article about superheros and villians, some of which i had never even heard of lol.

i have always been a huge history nerd, it was by far my most favorite subject and i even started school a few years back to become a history teacher but have since been unable to finish. anyways does anyone else have this happen to them frequently? just to be clear, i dont have add or adhd or any of that attention disorder stuff, i have no problem concentrating on things its just whenever im reading about something and i have some free time i find myself opening related articles in other tabs and that leads me to opening other related articles, and before i know it i got like 20 or 30 tabs open lol, maybe im weird?

Yeah this happens to me alot.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Haha I don't think you're alone in this, in fact this is what people warn others for when they educate about "addictions" (on which I will no further vent my opinion). I do this a LOT, I even have a word for it, but it's in my native language! I risk getting into it with sites like wikipedia, that just keeps linking to things and before you know it you went from information about house-beetles to the controversy on a biblical character.

I think that's one of the great things about the web, the information is limitless, but.. It's also kind of pointless. I don't know about you but I forgot 99% of all the shit I read like that.

But yeah I also get this on forums or newssites. I keep reading random threads.

It doesn't help that I really love to read, it doesn't matter WHAT.

Yeap, that's the internet for you...
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Yeap, that's the internet for you...
    I usually go from random facts that I wanted to know (why is water not flammable if its made of both hydrogen and oxygen) to plutonium isotopes to some 16 minute video of a guy synthesizing plutonium 239 to Geiger counters to when chernobyl will be inhabitable to a theory of the projected achievements of humanity over the next 100 years.

This happened to me tonight.

If getting sidetracked wasn't a common problem, this website wouldn't be popular http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...endshipIsMagic

The internet just encourages ADHD. You have to put down a book to pick up another, not so with the internet. Open something else while entertainment 1 loads, put music in the background, multitasking is simple and addictive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    I don't think this is uncommon, it happens to me all the time and I've talked to friends about the same thing. You are not alone my friend.

I definitely do, until I notice it happening, then I refocus on what I was originally intending to look up.

It's happening to me right now. I'm on mmo-champion but I should be doing homework /facepalm.

Deleted
    Definitely nobody on the whole world that gets sidetracked when browsing the web, you must be the only one. Go to the shrink because that question is fucking ridiculous.

Infracted.

Be civil when posting.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-11-29 at 03:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by speedten View Post
    Definitely nobody on the whole world that gets sidetracked when browsing the web, you must be the only one. Go to the shrink because that question is fucking ridiculous.
    Go to a shrink because you obviously have issues with being a nice human being.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Go to a shrink because you obviously have issues with being a nice human being.
    I believe you have issues with your sarcasm detector.

OT: Of course, it happens daily

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleeq View Post
    I believe you have issues with your sarcasm detector.

OT: Of course, it happens daily
    The first part was sarcasm.

The second was not. Seriously where do you see sarcasm in the second part.

Deleted
    Ohmagerrdd gotta defend mysurllfff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, mostly it happens at nights. I'm reading mmo-champion and after half an hour I'm in youtube watching a guy who throws wooden magnets to a hippo for no reason. What the hell!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

there are several possibilities that lead to that.

- you got (maybe too much) free time on your hands and are kinda seeking for getting sidetracked
    - your character is simply to weak to withstand sidetracking gravity
    - you are not focused enough on the subject you would intentionally deal with if not beeing sidetracked