Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm gonna leave this here, because Dr. Tyson articulates this better than I could. The part specifically relating to this converstaion starts at 5:30.

THIS is what I hoped they would be able to announce. Evidence of what Dr. Tyson talks about. I don't think we are there yet, but soon.

"Life here began out there..." -The Scrolls of Pythia

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    NASA havenever and will never tell us the truth, or at least 50% of it. I don't claim anything, but that's how it works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Stop expecting so much... from the article I linked. NASA's begun to backpedal.
    All I'm expecting is something scientifically interesting, not some non-existent result stemming from media confusion.

By the way: the original statements JPL's Guy Webster made in trying to calm down rampant speculation in the press go back to the same day the (botched) NPR story was published, Nov. 20th.

Good grief, that io9 article is ridiculous:

But now, NASA is backpedaling. The nature of Curiosity's discovery has been downgraded from "earthshaking" to "interesting," and many are crying foul. They feel misled, cheated and deceived, and Grotzinger has been roundly condemned for blowing the discovery out of proportion. Should we feel this feel? Sure. Hell, I feel it. But this fiasco presents a unique opportunity to talk about how scientists should (and shouldn't) conduct themselves in the public eye — and why, sometimes, overzealous researchers may be exactly what we need.
    What the fuck?! Grotzinger isn't at fault here, and NASA isn't backpedaling. Joe Palca from NPR misunderstood Grotzinger during an interview, wrote a misleading article, and other press outlets went apeshit with speculation about it afterward. What part of this is so difficult to understand? Instead, Gonzalez launches into a tirade, during which he demonstrates he has even less of a handle on the situation than Palca. It's really pathetic. (Sorry to say, but after seeing a number of completely screwed up articles like this on their website, io9 is hardly a wise choice for science news.)

I think these writers need to stick to other subjects since they're clearly incapable of accurate science reporting. The ignorance is truly stunning to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drithiend View Post
    If only it was only the media. Take a look at the previous pages. So many posters trying to make their fantasies come to life by isolating words and phrases from what has been said and twisting them to no end.

I think that it will be some very interesting news, and something for the history books, after all this is an expedition to Mars for goodness sake, but no, nobody discovered ET's house most probably.
    Sadly, you are correct too... the media does it because they know us humans who are media junkies, latch onto anything and blow everything out of proportion.

At this point... I'm not thinking it's water molecules anymore... I'm thinking they're going to unveil they found Al Capone's secret vault on Mars.

(((5 retro-points for anybody who gets the reference)))

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    NASA havenever and will never tell us the truth, or at least 50% of it. I don't claim anything, but that's how it works.
    This persistent belief you have is horribly misguided.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    At this point... I'm not thinking it's water molecules anymore... I'm thinking they're going to unveil they found Al Capone's secret vault on Mars.

(((5 retro-points for anybody who gets the reference)))
    If I ever see Geraldo Rivera anywhere near a NASA logo, I'm going to break things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    misunderstood Grotzinger during an interview, wrote a misleading article, and other press outlets went apeshit with speculation about it afterward. What part of this is so difficult to understand? Instead, Gonzalez launches into a tirade, during which he demonstrates he has even less of a handle on the situation than Palca. It's really pathetic. (Sorry to say, but after seeing a number of completely screwed up articles like this on their website, io9 is hardly a wise choice for science news.)

I think these writers need to stick to other subjects since they're clearly incapable of accurate science reporting. The ignorance is truly stunning to me.
    While that's a great read... you might want to read all of that.

It sounds to me more like the author of the original article understood what Grotz said perfectly... particularly the bit about the dinner table with his kids.

Reading the NASA response sounds more like an attempt to down-play/re-write what Grotz said to the reporter, which happens a LOT in media. I've seen this a hundred times before in media (and, indeed, in the magazine I worked 11 years on).

And, no, I don't think this is some cover-up/conspiracy either. I think what we have here is some scientist who got uber excited because they found some goofy rare mineral on Mars or something scientific that gets him excited, but not his daughter (who just asks for ketchup in response to the news...)... I think it simply blew out of control and NASA is simply re-writing it to say "it's not that big of a deal, calm down. :P"

Much like the Segway was first being revealed... when the financeer hinted that it was going to replace the car, and the designer came out a day later and said "um... no, it's not. Really, it's not..."

They must have found the deodorant of one of my coworkers, since I'm 100% sure he lost his a long, long time ago.

If it's not that, I won't care for it much. Except perhaps if it are space bugs that can travel through space and shoot laser bomb things from their asses. I seriously have to watch those movies again, they're crap but fun anyway.

And of course alien life would make for a jolly good show, space aliens that of course speak English like most do in scifi.

I think it was something along the lines of: it's "earthshaking" for scientists, but for the common man it may just be "interesting".
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

It will probably end up being something like the surface of mars is made up up X% of __________ instead of the Y% they thought it was. And they will end up being really close numbers like 10% and 9.9999932752%.

Would be cool if they had detected a still active but very weak magnetic field or signs of life tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    While that's a great read... you might want to read all of that.
    I did. A more careful examination (of the NPR article) on your part will reveal that you misread something.

It sounds to me more like the author of the original article understood what Grotz said perfectly...
    Doesn't seem that way to me. I still think Palca got confused while sitting at JPL for that interview. Any reporter who covers NASA ought to be familiar with how embargoes work with regard to upcoming published research, the protocols of the NASA/JPL press and public affairs offices, and the difference between official announcements and enthusiasm displayed by individual scientists.

... particularly the bit about the dinner table with his kids.
    That anecdote describes Richard Zare and the ALH meteorite (in 1996), not Grotzinger and Curiosity.

Reading the NASA response sounds more like an attempt to down-play/re-write what Grotz said to the reporter, which happens a LOT in media. I've seen this a hundred times before in media (and, indeed, in the magazine I worked 11 years on).
    I don't get that impression here. Webster was simply trying to quell the confusion, and I doubt he had much time to devote to the matter.

It might have been possible that people at NASA or JPL could have done a better job in addressing the situation from the onset, but I understand why that process isn't as efficient as it could be, and it didn't go through the proper channels in the first place. Besides, there simply isn't enough time for them to play whack-a-mole with all the hare-brained assertions and misconceptions that crop up in the media and blogosphere.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2012-11-29 at 09:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    So you're saying that if we did find evidence of intelligent life, they would just come out and say "hey guys that stuff we found, it was intelligent life forms and they're here on Mars!" You think the government would be ok with that letting NASA tell the whole world that there are intelligent life forms other than us?
    Yes certainly. I know it is the basis of most UFO tinfoil theories that confirming alien life would be impossible, but I don't really see this at all. It would make it to the headlines for a couple of weeks and spin off a ot of science and other projects. But common-man life would continue like before once the excitement settles.

Much like, say, after a Presidential election or the death of Michael Jackson.

Every religion that people believe in would change
    What? Scientific discovery having ANY impact on religion? Where have you been living the past 2000 years? Last I checked a majority of mankind still believe in bizarre old fairy tales in open defiance of observable and confirmable facts.

and the super over religious nut jobs would go insane starting riots and all sorts of chaos.
    In other words, just the same as we have now?

"No you can't release this information, what you will say is that it was a new type of element that could possibly be a future source of energy or fuel." Then after that they will cover the shit out of it and will be known as just a possible future energy source or fuel.
    You've clearly a very limited experience of how the science and engineering communities works. Either it would have to be covered up completely and can not be used for anything (otherwise someone will need to see the test results/theory that lead up to it), or it will all have to be released.

You don't even know what the government is doing. For all we know they may really be working with aliens with laser guns and spaceships and we don't even have a clue that that's going on while were just going on with our lives.
    Again, you wildly over-estimate the ability to cover stuff up. To mention just one thing, there are literally millions of amateur astronomers observing the sky, most of which cooperate with the professional community. Space ships and laser guns flying around the sky would be observed.

Quote Originally Posted by bregtann View Post
    What? Scientific discovery having ANY impact on religion? Where have you been living the past 2000 years? Last I checked a majority of mankind still believe in bizarre old fairy tales in open defiance of observable and confirmable facts..

Silicon based aliens could land on the Earth right now today that are billions of years old, and have the techonology to transport anyone to any part of the universe instantaneously, time travel, or whatever other extreme science fiction tech you can think of, and there would still be people who believe in creationism.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Silicon based aliens could land on the Earth right now today that are billions of years old, and have the techonology to transport anyone to any part of the universe instantaneously, time travel, or whatever other extreme science fiction tech you can think of, and there would still be people who believe in creationism.
    cus god created them too.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bregtann View Post
    Again, you wildly over-estimate the ability to cover stuff up. To mention just one thing, there are literally millions of amateur astronomers observing the sky, most of which cooperate with the professional community. Space ships and laser guns flying around the sky would be observed.
    I'm betting he's also unfamiliar with the NASA Astrobiology Institute, its fundamental goals, participating scientists, member institutions, and partnerships.

"Yeah, so we're going to create an entire branch of NASA dedicated to astro- and exobiology and task it with searching for life in the universe. Plus, we're going to team up with 180 member institutions and 10 international partners. We're also going to spell out all our goals clearly on a well-organized website so the public can read all about them in addition to any pertinent ongoing research. That way when we discover evidence of extraterrestrial life we'll be sure NOBODY ever knows about it."

Pardon me while I giggle about this.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2012-11-29 at 10:16 PM.

For those saying, "religions would change," I doubt they would at all, if only a little. People will be stuck in whatever they want to believe, even if faced with cold, hard facts.

As an example, a friend of mine today refused to believe in the existence of narwhals (in biology class). Even when faced with credible sources, videos, etc, he insisted they were fake, the videos were fiction, etc. Some people just can't handle the truth (or that they're wrong), no matter how small it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-cleave View Post
    For those saying, "religions would change," I doubt they would at all, if only a little. People will be stuck in whatever they want to believe, even if faced with cold, hard facts.

As an example, a friend of mine today refused to believe in the existence of narwhals (in biology class). Even when faced with credible sources, videos, etc, he insisted they were fake, the videos were fiction, etc. Some people just can't handle the truth (or that they're wrong), no matter how small it is.
    What? This doesn't even make sense? Is your friend joking?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    What? This doesn't even make sense? Is your friend joking?
    Nope. His reasoning: "Whales can't grow horns." While correct, he was proven wrong when I showed him that narwhals don't have horns, it's actually a tooth.

Like I said, people are stuck in their beliefs. Some may change, but others refuse to see the truth even when it dangles in front of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I must be in the minority in being a Christian that believes in the Big Bang and Evolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I must be in the minority in being a Christian that believes in the Big Bang and Evolution.
    You and I both :\

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps last week's holiday schedule got in the way of this being released sooner. Still, if they'd managed to post it earlier on it would have been more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JPL
    Rumors and speculation that there are major new findings from the mission at this early stage are incorrect. The news conference will be an update about first use of the rover's full array of analytical instruments to investigate a drift of sandy soil. One class of substances Curiosity is checking for is organic compounds -- carbon-containing chemicals that can be ingredients for life. At this point in the mission, the instruments on the rover have not detected any definitive evidence of Martian organics.