DPS spec tanking/healing

Since SWTOR doesn't have duelspec I am wondering the following.

How well will you perform as a healer or tank during flashpoints if your spec is dps?

Personally I like to do the class quest but at a decent speed so I usually spec dps, but since flashpoints are also fun I was wondering if a class is capable of healing or tanking as a dps when doing flashpoints.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on the Flashpoint. I tanked on my Arsenal Merc through HM BT and a few others... but later on you actually have to be the proper spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if you're a subscriber then for 200,000 credits you'll be able to change your spec when and where you'd like for no cost, when buying the skill in your legacy tree.

But to answer your question, then you should be fine doing flashpoints without having the right spec up until level 30-ish, after that it'll become harder and at level 50 doing heroic flashpoints, you'd want to be the correct spec for the job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    It really depends on the Flashpoint. I tanked on my Arsenal Merc through HM BT and a few others... but later on you actually have to be the proper spec.
    You did very well tanking a HM FP with DPS spec, was your gear also DPS? If so I bet your healer had an absolute ball lol.

Well done.

I leveled 2 tanks and a healer as tank and healer spec and didn't find it too painful, I think the option of having a DPS companion helps. That said I'm not a power leveler and wasn't in any real hurry to get to max level.
    Last edited by mmoc53c2ae6845; 2012-11-30 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to comment on OP point :)

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, I have 22k health which is A LOT higher than most starting tanks. I am full DPS BiS, so bosses died within seconds. Our healer was a guildie and didn't have much trouble. Only did it for the daily :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I mean, I have 22k health which is A LOT higher than most starting tanks. I am full DPS BiS, so bosses died within seconds. Our healer was a guildie and didn't have much trouble. Only did it for the daily :P
    Yeah after hitting the Post button I did think....'I'll bet he's in top end gear' which would make the tier 1 FPs a bit of cake walk for you...I'm not saying you don't have the skills to match though!

Was wondering more during leveling then at max level.

But looking at what people wrote it should be possible then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Was wondering more during leveling then at max level.

But looking at what people wrote it should be possible then.
    Picking up some tank pieces and equip those when you go into the flashpoints will help, especially a shield generator.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Since SWTOR doesn't have duelspec I am wondering the following.

How well will you perform as a healer or tank during flashpoints if your spec is dps?

Personally I like to do the class quest but at a decent speed so I usually spec dps, but since flashpoints are also fun I was wondering if a class is capable of healing or tanking as a dps when doing flashpoints.
    It was very hard for me as a merc to try to heal as a DPS spec, unless your with an uber geared group, you just max out heat really really fast, i've done it in a pinch in PUG groups when the healer goes down, for half a fight.

As as said above get field respec for 200k then you can respec when and where you like for free(as a subscriber), know i know my healing spec it takes less then a minute to respec and adjust my action bars, I dont have dedicated healing gear yet (i have 4 parts for the set bonus) but i seem to heal fine with the rest of my gear being DPS.