Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Friend" filed a false police report against me

So I was moving and I needed a car to move all my stuff. My "friend" rented a car for me ($692) 173 a week. I paid him the first week and 2 weeks ago I paid him the second week cost. Now with half the bill paid he is constantly calling and harrassing me, he's even started calling my family members and trying to get money out of them.

Well fast forward to today (I am at work) and he is outside in the lobby saying he's not leaving until he gets his money. Oh and guess what HE FILED A POLICE REPORT SAYING I STOLE THE CAR SO THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY CAN REIMBURSE HIM.

I really have no clue what to do now. I am waiting for two co-workers to leave and then I am locking the door and calling the cops to have him leave and maybe file a restraining order after. If he did indeed file a report like he said and has already been reimbursed there is no way in hell I am paying off what I owed. It's been 2 weeks and half of the bill has already been paid, on top of that he did it on a credit card and his bill isn't even due.

Deleted
    If he filed a false report saying you stole a car he is about to get involved in a serious legal shitstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    I really have no clue what to do now.
    Um, seems like what you could do is pay him what you owe him since you already admitted you are weeks behind.

Deleted
    find him in person, you can't reason with people like that any other way

Quote Originally Posted by Wimpy Mage View Post
    Um, seems like what you could do is pay him what you owe him since you already admitted you are weeks behind.
    Are you listening to yourself? I am paying him every 2 weeks on my pay days. I haven't missed any payments there have already been 2 one at the beginning and one two weeks ago and there would have been one today; however, he pops him demanding money at my work place harassing my family members and on top of that FILING A FALSE POLICE REPORT SAYING I STOLE A CAR THAT COULD LEAD TO ME HAVING A WARRANT FOR MY ARREST.

Go back to the original deal. When were you supposed to pay him back? If it was me I would just pay him the amount that is still due regardless if he had or hadn't gotten a bill yet from his credit card company. Remember credit cards have limits on how much you can put on it and he may be near the limit.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is a great reason never to borrow money from friends, nor lend it.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Durh View Post
    find him in person, you can't reason with people like that any other way
    He's outside. I don't need to find him I need to get the hell out of the building without him following me all the way home.

He has text messages even proving I didn't steal the damn car so he's such a fucking idiot for filing a police report.

Its not a false report. You clearly aren't meeting the payments you agreed upon. Id pay ASAP before you get arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    Go back to the original deal. When were you supposed to pay him back? If it was me I would just pay him the amount that is still due regardless if he had or hadn't gotten a bill yet from his credit card company. Remember credit cards have limits on how much you can put on it and he may be near the limit.
    He has a 10,000 limit with a dent of $346. He sent me his statement.

I am not paying him anymore. He filed a false police report so his credit card company would pay him back. Our original deal is I pay him on my pay days. I paid him on my pay day 2 weeks ago and today is the day I would pay him again. However between then and now he filed a police report against me saying I stole a car.

Are you listening to yourself? I am paying him every 2 weeks on my pay days. I haven't missed any payments there have already been 2 one at the beginning and one two weeks ago and there would have been one today; however, he pops him demanding money at my work place harassing my family members and on top of that FILING A FALSE POLICE REPORT SAYING I STOLE A CAR THAT COULD LEAD TO ME HAVING A WARRANT FOR MY ARREST.
    Is anything written out in paper? If not then give the guy his car back before the police show up. Also does the guy own or lease the car? If he leases then that is not his property to loan out but the banks. Do you have insurance on the car?

This was a SERIOUSLY fucking bad idea all around.

Don't know what you agreed upon payment wise but I'd get an attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZero View Post
    Its not a false report. You clearly aren't meeting the payments you agreed upon. Id pay ASAP before you get arrested.
    You really don't understand how things work do you? Non-payment is a civil court issue where he would sue me for the rest of the payment. By the way I am not late I pay him every 2 weeks, today is the pay day I would pay him.

He filed a police report saying I STOLE A CAR. Not a police report saying that I failed to pay him money on my payment plan. He said I committed a felony. Which I clearly did not.

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 09:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    This thread is a great reason never to borrow money from friends, nor lend it.
    I've loaned him over 8k in the past 2 years and he's going crazy over a little over 300.

Deleted
    I know it's been said over and over again by the other members, but....have you considered giving him the money you owe him?
    If I was in hes place, I'd also smack the shit out of you for being stupid.

I am not paying him anymore.
    This is more then likely why you got yourself into deep shit. The mentality you seem to be applying to this situation could be better. Good luck with court.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok 1st of all, calm down a bit and take a deep breath.

So I was moving and I needed a car to move all my stuff. My "friend" rented a car for me ($692) 173 a week. I paid him the first week and 2 weeks ago I paid him the second week cost. Now with half the bill paid he is constantly calling and harrassing me, he's even started calling my family members and trying to get money out of them.

Well fast forward to today (I am at work) and he is outside in the lobby saying he's not leaving until he gets his money. Oh and guess what HE FILED A POLICE REPORT SAYING I STOLE THE CAR SO THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY CAN REIMBURSE HIM.

I really have no clue what to do now. I am waiting for two co-workers to leave and then I am locking the door and calling the cops to have him leave and maybe file a restraining order after. If he did indeed file a report like he said and has already been reimbursed there is no way in hell I am paying off what I owed. It's been 2 weeks and half of the bill has already been paid, on top of that he did it on a credit card and his bill isn't even due.
    Ok, from what I can understand, you're weeks behind what you have to give him, but instead you tell him he didn't even received his bill so he shouldn't panic about that. 1st problem with this; credit cards have a margin and, even if you didn't receive any bill, his available money will be reduced, which could make him be in huge crap. 2nd problem with that: you're weeks behind, so obviously you told him something like "yeah dude np I'll pay you back when you'll need it" and didn't.

I doubt I'm wrong, and the best solution would be to speak to him instead of writing in caps on a world of warcraft forum. Seriously.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He's outside. I don't need to find him I need to get the hell out of the building without him following me all the way home.

He has text messages even proving I didn't steal the damn car so he's such a fucking idiot for filing a police report.
    Call the police and don't forget to mention it. They can pull up records of the texts for proof.

Deleted
    Holy crap i'm getting mad at people who doesn't know how to read. The op is not late on his payment he is spot on since he and his friend had apparently agreed that op should pay every 2 weeks which he have been doing. Op was supposed to pay him today but since the guy came to his workplace and told him that he had files a false police report in an attempt to have the money returned to him by his (creditcard company?). Alright did we clear that up? Can we not have any more dumb posts?

Let me make these points clear again.

I pay him every 2 weeks.

I have not missed a payment

Between last week and this week he filed a police report saying I STOLE A CAR when I didn't steal the car and the car had already been returned to the dealer

I am not paying him anymore because

1) He filed a police report against me saying I stole the car
    2) His credit card company is reimbursing him
    3) He could potentially get me arrested because he claims I stole a car knowing full well no car was stolen.

It's like If I lend you my car and charge you $100 You don't pay the $100 but you returned my car, but I call the cops and said you STOLE it.