Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Serpent Sting hotfix buffed, about time?

Just noticed this on the 5.1 Hotfixes:

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard
    November 29

Classes
    Hunter
    Serpent Sting's damage has been increased by 100%, and its cost has been reduced to 15 Focus (was 25).
    Survival
    Improved Serpent Sting now deals 15% of its total damage instantly (was 30%).
    source:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/792..._29-11_29_2012

About time eh? Finally we get a proper DoT, glad that Surv AoE wasn't nerfed though.(Numbers are still same for the AoE, apart from higher DoT damage)

Just tested and the hotfix isn't applied to EU yet

I don't see it applied to US either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremypwnz View Post
    I don't see it applied to US either.
    Do you have a message at the login screen about server restarts? EU has rolling restarts at 5AM, I'd guess the hotfixes are applied then?

I remember seeing it happen at around 7 am PST.

yay moar hunter buffs!

My only question is: Being how we have a powerful dot now, would it be beneficial to multi-dot outside of SV?
    Last edited by Tehstool; 2012-12-01 at 03:22 AM.

its another band aid fix without actually addressing the problems of the class

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis003 View Post
    its another band aid fix without actually addressing the problems of the class
    They will start adding up if they continue going on like this though :P
    And I personally like this, the focus cost reduction is great too.

I would have preferred more power in our Signature Shots.

Yep, but I can't complain. Hunter buffs are good buffs =D

I'll answer my question... brb looking at logs for math analysis. Yes, It will indeed be worth it... Even more so that we should prioritize it over most of our other shots.
    Last edited by Tehstool; 2012-12-01 at 03:35 AM.

That's true.
    This also does very little good for MM.

It adds multi-dotting capabilites.

Damage was buffed by 100% and focus cost was reduced by 40%, which causes rough 3 times higher Damage Per Focus ratio, that is a massive buff if you ask me.

some random math:
    Pre-buff(number values made up):
    1000 damage per tick, 5 ticks in 1 SrS application = 5x 1000 = 5000 damage
    DPF = Damage/Focus cost = 5000/25 = 200 DPF

After-buff:
    2000 damage per tick, 5 ticks in 1 SrS application = 5x 2000 = 10000 damage
    DPF = Damage/Focus cost = 10000/15 = 666.666... = ~666 DPF

As you can see, the damage per focus spent went up by a bit over 3 times. I'd say it's back as our #1 ability to keep on boss and on adds that live longer than >15 sec

What does this do for Survival Hunter stat priority? Lots are going Haste > Mastery currently, will Mastery > Haste be the DEFINITE way of reforging?

This is a HUGE buff. It gives us a bit of a single target boost with SrS damage buffed and gives us so much cleaving potential with such a low cost dot.

Been saying this since 4.2...... I just wanted the cost of serpent sting to be reduced, but hey I'll take a buff to damage.

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 04:18 AM ----------

What does this do for Survival Hunter stat priority? Lots are going Haste > Mastery currently, will Mastery > Haste be the DEFINITE way of reforging?
    Crit > Haste to whatever plateau > mastery > haste most likely. Even though plateaus really don't matter and come down to hunter skill and other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Truefire View Post
    This is a HUGE buff. It gives us a bit of a single target boost with SrS damage buffed and gives us so much cleaving potential with such a low cost dot.
    It's a good buff, but not huge. Sadly it still doesn't scale, which is the largest factor .

I really enjoy this change though. Makes SrS far more valuable, as it has been sitting really low priority for all specs.

The Hotfix isn't live on US servers either, I don't know when it will be applied.
    Last edited by Arktem; 2012-12-01 at 04:30 AM.

This change overall, will affect our dps without increasing our burst, which is what our class needs. But in my eye (no tests yet), this will not change anything really in regards to multi dot fights. The answer I see is to just give our pets a cleave that we can toggle between bite (both 25 focus: bite does best single, "swipe" does better against 3+ close range), and make black arrow have no cd but not affect the LnL proc. Black arrow already has a focus cost so it will be limiting.

Looking at my wol for wind lord mel'jarak,

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/a...?s=9254&e=9679

I ranked #10 SV hunter at the time.

My SrS did 8,627,758 damage (Keep in mind my ES did 11,417,813 damage 2,790,055 damage difference)

With this huge buff that would've put my SrS 17,255,516 damage which would be 5,837,703 more than my ES.

But adding 8,627,758 damage to my overall damage is the thing I really wanted to look at. That would put me at 80,343,349 damage, just trailing under the fire mage in our runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
    This change overall, will affect our dps without increasing our burst, which is what our class needs. But in my eye (no tests yet), this will not change anything really in regards to multi dot fights. The answer I see is to just give our pets a cleave that we can toggle between bite (both 25 focus: bite does best single, "swipe" does better against 3+ close range), and make black arrow have no cd but not affect the LnL proc. Black arrow already has a focus cost so it will be limiting.
    What? are you kidding me it's huge for multi-dot fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    Looking at my wol for wind lord mel'jarak,

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/a...?s=9254&e=9679

I ranked #10 SV hunter at the time.

My SrS did 8,627,758 damage (Keep in mind my ES did 11,417,813 damage 2,790,055 damage difference)

With this huge buff that would've put my SrS 17,255,516 damage which would be 5,837,703 more than my ES.

But adding 8,627,758 damage to my overall damage is the thing I really wanted to look at. That would put me at 80,343,349 damage, just trailing under the fire mage in our runs.

What? are you kidding me it's huge for multi-dot fights.
    You also have to half the damage of your serpent spread. It will not be an AoE buff but it is around a 5% overall dps gain for single target while also giving us a bit extra for fights where we can roll multiple serpent stings.

Quote Originally Posted by Truefire View Post
    You also have to half the damage of your serpent spread. It will not be an AoE buff but it is around a 5% overall dps gain for single target while also giving us a bit extra for fights where we can roll multiple serpent stings.
    No... no you don't. The damage of I SrS has been halved, yes. But you have to take into account the 100% increase to your SrS damage. So basically the change was to not make our aoe too powerful but to remain at where we were before plus the SrS damage.

I'm liking the change at first look, Increases our single target/'cleave' and reduces survival burst AoE a tad which was pretty insane (i'd be hitting 280-300k on trash where others would be on 100-160k, yes it's just trash but it could of had future implications on bosses not yet in the game).

Anyone done any quick math on how this will affect survival aoe/burst aoe? The ISS damage is halved but you also need to factor in that the DoT will be doing twice as much damage as it ticks which I feel will mean it's only a minor AoE nerf all factors considered.