Thread: NCAA football

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Well we now know the BCS bowls.

NCG: Alabama vs. Notre Dame
    Orange: Florida State vs. Louisville
    Sugar: Florida vs. Oklahoma
    Rose: Stanford vs. Wisconsin
    Fiesta: Kansas State vs. Oregon

I think the winners will be Alabama, Florida State, Florida, Stanford, and Oregon. I want the winners to be Notre Dame, Louisville, Oklahoma, and Kansas State though.
    I agree with all of your picks and all of the teams you're cheering for. What are the odds?

I'm glad someone else shares my pain here about the game tonight though. The last time I remember having that sort of shocked delirium was the '01 Colorado game. I guess the beating tonight was worse, but that one was more shocking.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I have absolutely nothing against Wisconsin, and even taking into account the goofy circumstances in their division this year... seeing them go to the Rose Bowl at 8-5 with a .500 conference record is just bizarre.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 01:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm fine with all that, I really, really, really, really hate the SEC and I'll be cheering for ND (even though I generally don't like them either).
    Purely out of spite, I'd rather see the SEC win ten more championships in a row than watch the domers hoist the hardware once.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    While I have absolutely nothing against Wisconsin, and even taking into account the goofy circumstances in their division this year... seeing them go to the Rose Bowl at 8-5 with a .500 conference record is just bizarre.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 01:57 AM ----------

Purely out of spite, I'd rather see the SEC win ten more championships in a row than watch the domers hoist the hardware once.

I agree with you on both points, but tbh I have no issue with ND winning. What I will have an issue with is all the cock sucking that we will be forced to listen to by the news media for the next year if they do win. Its the one issue I have with Lou Holtz, dude was a legend long before he got to ND because of his teams at Arkansas, but damn you would never know it because its like he forgot he coached anywhere but ND in his career.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I agree with you on both points, but tbh I have no issue with ND winning. What I will have an issue with is all the cock sucking that we will be forced to listen to by the news media for the next year if they do win. Its the one issue I have with Lou Holtz, dude was a legend long before he got to ND because of his teams at Arkansas, but damn you would never know it because its like he forgot he coached anywhere but ND in his career.
    Yeah it is funny that he never mentions Arkansas like he does ND. I like how everybody want's the SEC to lose I mean look if you want the SEC to lose you got to have your conference to get better and they don't they just want to pass the ball well that works in the NFL because the NFL supports it,makes rules for it, it brings in more fans you don't have to do that in college it brings in the fans no matter what. Look at ND this year they are winning because the play heavy D and have like 1 million returning starters this year. SEC doesn't usually bring a lot of starters because the NFL picks off the juniors as soon as they can esp on the defense side. But really if you all bitched about the non scoring game from last years NC its going to be the same ND is going to have a hard time with Bama and same goes the other way but yall are not going to bitch about it because its not 2 sec teams.

TL;DR get your conference better quit winning about the SEC and have the recruit defense instead of all offense and NC is going to be a close low scoring game deal with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Finished the year 137-136 in picking games against the spread. Tremendously proud of myself.

Not tremendously proud of:
    Nebraska. The fuck? 70 points to Wisconsin? Wisconsin couldn't run up that many points on any of their shit marshmallow schools (although they did ring up 62 on Indiana). Hell they had more points at halftime than they scored in most of their fluff games.
    Michigan's coaching staff. Instead of putting in Gardner in the Nebraska game they went with Bellomy who was awful, couldn't move the ball, and was awful. There was no reason for Michigan to lose that game. So fucking glad the Denard Robinson experiment is over. Having him start games and not being able to throw the damn ball was frustrating. It was slightly less frustrating than them constantly rotating him in in the last couple games which was a gigantic red warning sign "Warning: QB run coming. Waning: QB run coming" since he can't pass the damn ball at all. Running QBs are great IF they can THROW as well.
    Aaron Murray. Snap. The. God. Damn. Ball. How much of a lack of situational awareness do you need to get the ball to the 8 and then let the clock run and run and run for 5-6 seconds before snapping the ball. By letting the clock run down like an idiot you eliminate any chance of a second snap in case someone does make the bonehead mistake of catching the ball with no chance of getting out of bounds or into the end zone which is exactly what happened.

Hey conscript at least we can both agree that our teams would be better without glorified defensive backs playing qb.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Yeah it is funny that he never mentions Arkansas like he does ND. I like how everybody want's the SEC to lose I mean look if you want the SEC to lose you got to have your conference to get better and they don't they just want to pass the ball well that works in the NFL because the NFL supports it,makes rules for it, it brings in more fans you don't have to do that in college it brings in the fans no matter what. Look at ND this year they are winning because the play heavy D and have like 1 million returning starters this year. SEC doesn't usually bring a lot of starters because the NFL picks off the juniors as soon as they can esp on the defense side. But really if you all bitched about the non scoring game from last years NC its going to be the same ND is going to have a hard time with Bama and same goes the other way but yall are not going to bitch about it because its not 2 sec teams.

TL;DR get your conference better quit winning about the SEC and have the recruit defense instead of all offense and NC is going to be a close low scoring game deal with it.
    I think there will be more points scored than most people think. Georgia is pretty dang good offensively ( probably a lot better than ND), but they showed that Alabama's defense is good, not great like last year. I think ND has a solid defense, but they haven't went up against a team that can run the ball like Bama. They got a front line that just nuts, and two really good tail backs that have completely different styles.

Alabama's secondary is pretty weak this year, and while its pass rush isn't horrible, its not great. I don't know whether ND does it or not, but they need to spend the next month working on a hurry up offense, Bama's defense has a hell of a time dealing with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    What ND is going to see thou is the Fastest and strongest D they have seen so far thou. Those kids at bama are big and strong and pretty fast for there size idk It's going to be a good game I think or Bama is just going to blow them out either way if Bama wins I expect to see a lot of tears from SEC haters.

15+ Year Old Account
    What ND is going to see thou is the Fastest and strongest D they have seen so far thou. Those kids at bama are big and strong and pretty fast for there size idk It's going to be a good game I think or Bama is just going to blow them out either way if Bama wins I expect to see a lot of tears from SEC haters.
    The only whining you are going to hear is that yet again the SEC gets by without playing a real offensive team. Georgia isn't a bad offense, laughably inconsistent and unclutch, but not bad. Notre Dame is a bad offense though. Fucking Oregon had to blow it again and ruin actually getting to see Bama play a real offense.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nah, there won't be many tears from me, and while I'm not an SEC hater, I do think it's an overrated conference. Scheduling, preseason polls and ez beats make up my opinion. However, in the interest of fairness, I think that could be said of the PAC-12, of which I am a big fan.

In regards to the NC game, Bama will definitely win - I'd love to chat with anyone who thinks otherwise. Bama beat every team pretty soundly, only losing to the Heisman trophy winner and an offense that is unseen otherwise in the SEC. I desperately wish that it had been Tide vs Ducks for the NC - THAT would have been an epic game. Ducks also would have beaten ND (I know they lost to Stanford, but imo, that's just an unpredictable college football thing, much like Bama losing to A&M).

Having what amounts to an automatic bid to the title game is bullshit. There's no actual evidence or even a particularly good reason to believe that Alabama's better than K State. K State beat five ranked teams, and beat four of them by at least two touchdowns.

Alabama's demonstrated that they have trouble dealing with any quarterback that's even semi-competent throwing the ball, and seem vulnerable to the spread as well. If they couldn't stop Texas A&M, I find it very difficult to believe they'd be fine against Oregon or Kansas State.

In the end, I believe Alabama's probably the best team in the country. I just find it frustrating that they haven't really had to do much to show that to be the case. I wish like hell we had the four team system.

15+ Year Old Account
    Alabama's demonstrated that they have trouble dealing with any quarterback that's even semi-competent throwing the ball, and seem vulnerable to the spread as well. If they couldn't stop Texas A&M, I find it very difficult to believe they'd be fine against Oregon or Kansas State.

In the end, I believe Alabama's probably the best team in the country. I just find it frustrating that they haven't really had to do much to show that to be the case. I wish like hell we had the four team system.
    Welcome to the preseason poll effect lol. Alabama started ahead of Kansas St and every other one loss team therefore they can not fall behind them in most cases. If ND had lost, or Oregon and KSt went undefeated, ND would be out thanks to the preseason poll rank based on their bowl loss last year. Go to love the BCS.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 05:25 PM ----------

According to reports, THEY DID IT!! NIU of the MAC is expected to reach #16 in tonight's final BCS standings therefore stealing the Big East's automatic bid where they will face FSU in the Orange Bowl. Take that Big East!

Edit: Well they are in but they aren't stealing the spot from Louisville according to projections.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-12-02 at 10:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having what amounts to an automatic bid to the title game is bullshit. There's no actual evidence or even a particularly good reason to believe that Alabama's better than K State. K State beat five ranked teams, and beat four of them by at least two touchdowns.
    Hey look what I found.

Alabama beat four ranked teams, two by 27 or more points, one out of conference.
    Oregon beat four, three by 24 points or more.
    Florida beat four, the only rout being a 44-11 win against South Carolina.
    Unfortunately, the computers don't factor in style points.
    Every team has a weakness. Hence why we only have one undefeated team (yeah, yeah, but even if eligible, Ohio State is one of the worst undefeated BCS teams I've seen in a long time). Also consider that every team is different, and Bama might just destroy Oregon in a game. Bama is also one not to make the same mistake twice. Consider last year when they shutout LSU in the title game.

The four-team playoff won't change much. There will still be arguments about who gets that fourth spot. The only way to make it work is to expand it to at least 8.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 05:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Welcome to the preseason poll effect lol. Alabama started ahead of Kansas St and every other one loss team therefore they can not fall behind them in most cases. If ND had lost, or Oregon and KSt went undefeated, ND would be out thanks to the preseason poll rank based on their bowl loss last year. Go to love the BCS.
    Well, actually, the rankings tend to reward early losses over late ones. Hence why it was even that more obvious that Bama would jump to number two in the weekend that Oregon and K State both lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    er? wut? is there some major inconsistency between the BCS and the human polls? I don't see it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    er? wut? is there some major inconsistency between the BCS and the human polls? I don't see it
    Yes, style points. The computers don't care how bad you beat someone. Humans take things like that into consideration. If there's not much difference, ok, but it still exists that way. At least, that's what I've always heard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh-oh... cue angry Sooners?

Sources: NIU to play in Orange Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    Mid-American champion Northern Illinois has busted the BCS and will play Florida State in the Discover Orange Bowl, sources told ESPN.

Northern Illinois finished in the top 16 of the final BCS standings to guarantee a BCS bowl berth. NIU's guaranteed spot knocked out Oklahoma, projected as an at-large selection, from going to the Allstate Sugar Bowl.

The remaining BCS bowls are: Notre Dame (12-0) vs. SEC champion Alabama (12-1) in the Discover BCS National Championship, Florida (11-1) vs. Big East champion Louisville (10-2) in the Sugar Bowl, Big 12 champion Kansas State (11-1) vs. Oregon (11-1) in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, and Pac-12 champion Stanford (11-2) vs. Big Ten champion Wisconsin (8-5) in the Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio.

Sports Illustrated reported earlier that NIU earned a BCS bowl berth and is ranked No. 15 in the final BCS standings.

Because NIU is ranked in the top 16 and ahead of at least one conference champion from an automatic qualifying conference, the Huskies earned an automatic berth. Northern Illinois is ranked above both Louisville and Wisconsin.
    If it's true... LOL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The only whining you are going to hear is that yet again the SEC gets by without playing a real offensive team. Georgia isn't a bad offense, laughably inconsistent and unclutch, but not bad. Notre Dame is a bad offense though. Fucking Oregon had to blow it again and ruin actually getting to see Bama play a real offense.
    Didn't Auburn beat Oregon a few years ago then followed by LSU beating Oregon in a regular season 40-27. Arkansas beat K-state which was a high scoring Offense last year if I remember right. I mean it's not like the SEC plays against SEC teams every year the last 6 years it has been like this Sec vs Sec once Sec vs Big 10 two times SEC vs Pac 10 once and Sec vs big 12 once.
    Also the reason Oregon scores a lot is because nobody in the Pac 10 plays defense like nobody same goes for big 12.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2012-12-03 at 12:00 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    According to Louisiana Tech's facebook page, they finished 9-3 with the nation's best offense and are not getting a bowl invite. Truthfully they turned down the Independence Bowl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, style points. The computers don't care how bad you beat someone. Humans take things like that into consideration. If there's not much difference, ok, but it still exists that way. At least, that's what I've always heard.
    I was looking at the rankings, and the end result is mostly the same, except for the 4 & 5 being swapped, so... still no clue what you're referring to, is it just fun to blame a computer?

Hey look what I found.

Alabama beat four ranked teams, two by 27 or more points, one out of conference.
    Oregon beat four, three by 24 points or more.
    Florida beat four, the only rout being a 44-11 win against South Carolina.
    Indeed, they're all quite good. I'm not asserting that Kansas State is clearly better than the others, I'm asserting that there's no valid basis for determining which is the best of the bunch. Like I said, I think Alabama's probably the best team - the problem isn't that there isn't actually any evidence for this. In quite a few years, there's pretty good arguments to be made about who's better than who; I don't see one this year.

Margin of victory isn't "style points". Incorporating margin of victory gives better predictive success going forward. Its exclusion from the computers is a pointless kneejerk reaction from some undesired outcome years ago (I think maybe Nebraska '01, but I might be wrong).

Every team has a weakness. Hence why we only have one undefeated team (yeah, yeah, but even if eligible, Ohio State is one of the worst undefeated BCS teams I've seen in a long time). Also consider that every team is different, and Bama might just destroy Oregon in a game. Bama is also one not to make the same mistake twice. Consider last year when they shutout LSU in the title game.
    When a team's weakness is something that would likely be exploited badly were it not for a schedule that's favorable in that regard, I'm skeptical of the team. In Alabama's case, they appear to struggle against the spread and against competent passers in general. The SEC is simply deficient in both of those categories, at least compared to the Big XII and Pac-12. The SEC's got fantastic talent in a ton of spots, and Alabama's tailored to that style quite well, but I don't think people would be impressed with their defense if they played multiple up tempo, spread opponents.

The four-team playoff won't change much. There will still be arguments about who gets that fourth spot. The only way to make it work is to expand it to at least 8.
    I disagree. Once we're down to fourth vs. fifth, number 5 can go away. I suppose it would exclude Oregon this year; oh well, I'm fine with that. I still think Florida's got an absolute garbage offense and shouldn't be taken seriously though.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2012-12-03 at 01:23 AM.