Deleted

Any idea what's wrong with my computer?

Hey everyone! I need your help!
    I just bought a new computer (bought the parts and build it myself). And it is causing me some problems, and I am not sure what is source. My motherboard is Asrock z77 extreme4, my graphics card is GTX 660 Ti. When I have the GTX inside the computer (even if I set the display source to PCI-E in BIOS), the screen is blank until windows loads. The only way to use the graphics card was to set display source to onboard GPU, then insert the card, install drivers and since then I actually see stuff after windows loads. Before that, the screen just stayed black. Now that I tried my old card (250 GTS) I don't have such problems anymore. Can you assure me that it is a problem with the GTX 660 Ti, so I can return it and demand a new one?

I've also put my computer to sleep mode 2 times. Each time I had a blue screen after it turned back on. I might have a bad copy of the windows (I have the code from my university so it's legal). Is there another thing that can cause blue screens? Please say there isn't because I'm in lots of trouble if my motherboard is broken.

Sounds like it's either motherboard or graphics card which is broken, and since the old card works most likely the graphics card but nobody can say that 100% sure.

Did you try different connectors on the gtx660ti? Could be some ports don't work properly without software (drivers) installed, or one of the DVI ports could be assigned as 'primary' and the card doesn't like to cooperate if the primary monitor is not in use? I had that problem years ago with much older card.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I tried both PCI-e slots and it made no difference. That is why I think the problem is with the graphics card. And the problem is that even if I have the drivers installed, I still don't see anything until windows load.

What version of BIOS are you running? When I installed my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 I couldnt use my 560TI until I had windows installed. I was told updating BIOS to a newer version will fix that problem.

So far no issues and I am running 2.1 on bios for it. Obviously not the latest but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Sthos View Post
    What version of BIOS are you running? When I installed my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 I couldnt use my 560TI until I had windows installed. I was told updating BIOS to a newer version will fix that problem.
    I bought that same motherboard on the week Ivy Bridges launched, and both GTX560ti and 660ti works fine on it without any BIOS patching. Graphics card compatibility issues without something being actually broken are extremely rare.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    I bought that same motherboard on the week Ivy Bridges launched, and both GTX560ti and 660ti works fine on it without any BIOS patching. Graphics card compatibility issues without something being actually broken are extremely rare.
    My board was purchased 2 weeks ago.

ASRock was the one who told me to check and update BIOS, so I am just relaying the message since its the same issue I had.

Deleted
    Hm I guess it's time to update the BIOS and test it again. There isn't a way this can void the warranty right?

Are you sure that you got your video cable in the right port? If I plug my dvi cable to the secondary dvi port or use hdmi cable, I wont see anything before windows, but if I plug my dvi cable to the primary dvi port I will see bios post, starting windows etc.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Quote Originally Posted by Jstrogue View Post
    Hm I guess it's time to update the BIOS and test it again. There isn't a way this can void the warranty right?
    No it does not void it so long as the update is from the manufacture and is meant for your board.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    Are you sure that you got your video cable in the right port? If I plug my dvi cable to the secondary dvi port or use hdmi cable, I wont see anything before windows, but if I plug my dvi cable to the primary dvi port I will see bios post, starting windows etc.
    Well I was using DVI port, but not sure which one. Now that I think of it, it was most likely the secondary, since it's closer to where I inserted the cable from. I never really thought it makes a difference. I guess I'll give it one more try after the bios update.

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 09:24 PM ----------

I checked, and I was using the secondary DVI port. And I can't even connect the primary one, because I would need a different cable. How sure are you that this can help me? It would be a waste to go to store to buy it, and later figure out that it changes nothing.