Can we still log into the website to see if we have legacy? I know payed for like the last 2~ months while it was free and until it was shut down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    Can we still log into the website to see if we have legacy? I know payed for like the last 2~ months while it was free and until it was shut down.
    Yeah, you can still login and check. You can also still sign up for the Alpha and Beta.

Speaking of alpha, new invites went out early this morning (CST) for the next phase. This one (I think) lasts until mid December or if it does well YoshiP might keep it up until 31 December. No new content added this phase, just a larger scale stress test.

10+ Year Old Account
    Added a dev blog.
    http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/news

They added some videos.

Once again SquareEnix, you do so well at CGI, but your presentation for others is lacking.

They need to never release videos with in-game footage again. Even the footage that doesn't include the UI is terribly shot.

It's quite painful to watch these videos that are essentially Joe Blow running around. FFS, don't you have a flyby camera tool in your dev kit? Use that, because this is like watching babby's first exploration videos.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 99% sure it's shot to show from a player's perspective what the game looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    They need to never release videos with in-game footage again. Even the footage that doesn't include the UI is terribly shot.

It's quite painful to watch these videos that are essentially Joe Blow running around. FFS, don't you have a flyby camera tool in your dev kit? Use that, because this is like watching babby's first exploration videos.
    Whats the point of showing a flyby, when players will most likely never see the maps from above? At least not until or if they implement Flying mounts. I personally would not like to see flying mounts. I much more prefer teleport, Airships/ferries to get across huge stretches of land instead. And for shorter distances, my cute and yellow CHOCOBO I will also breed my own mounts when its implemented. A melee, healer and caster Chocobo mount and use it in combat D Joy overload XD

Look what happened to WOW when they put Flying Mounts in. The world just seem to look so small as everyone just flew high above and at high speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    I'm 99% sure it's shot to show from a player's perspective what the game looks like.
    It is, but it looks unprofessional and just...eh. Showing someone running around for 5 minutes is not really going to get anyone too hyped.

I got bored about 30 seconds in because I don't want to watch Joe Blow running around in a town. If you want to do an awesome flyby of a down and highlight some of the cooler area's with a panorama view, that's cool. It gives you a unique perspective on the area. But simply having someone run around, UI and all, is just...bland. It clutters up what would be some awesome views of different landmark features ect.

Again, purely subjective on my part. Some people like it, but I just find it unprofessional and bland, especially when compared to the spectacles that are their CGI videos. Those are still some of the best in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    Whats the point of showing a flyby, when players will most likely never see the maps from above?
    I don't mean literally flying way up in the air. I mean a floating camera moving through on a pre-designated path that smoothly navigates the area and stops for hold shots or pan shots at different points. Something that doesn't have the jerky nature of manual control, or the clutter of the UI/a character drawing attention away from the actual scenery. The non-scenery busies up the shot too much when the focal point of the video should be entirely the scenery.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-12-04 at 09:42 PM.

They most likely want the game to make an impression and not some fancy editing. If its fancy editing they want then they can just make rendered movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait to see what the Legacy Chocobo looks like!

I believe the point of the videos is to showcase the progress that has been made between v1 and v2. It's probably more geared towards someone who tried the game before.

It is, but it looks unprofessional and just...eh. Showing someone running around for 5 minutes is not really going to get anyone too hyped.
    Perhaps not but for a person who have played v1, I can see a number of improvements, which kinda tells me that they are trying and moving in the right direction. I dunno, maybe that's the point?

Edited videos are all nice and all but they don't really show anything.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

I guess, but if they want to highlight those improvements to control/ui design ect. (I'm not sure what specific improvements you're talking about, I see some but none are really highlighted) why not make a video specifically focusing on them rather than scenery?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    -snip-
    I know what the concept art looks like lol. I just want to see it in game. The Chocobo barding was amazing, I hope the legacy Chocobo is just as awesome

I guess, but if they want to highlight those improvements to control/ui design ect. (I'm not sure what specific improvements you're talking about, I see some but none are really highlighted) why not make a video specifically focusing on them rather than scenery?

Well, the UI so in the alpha (from what I've seen) is very clean and has a better look to it, but it's nothing too different from most other MMOs. You can move the different elements around etc etc. Those of us who played FF14 and watch those vids do see the differences and to most who haven't played it's a big old "meh".

Well, the UI so in the alpha (from what I've seen) is very clean and has a better look to it, but it's nothing too different from most other MMOs. You can move the different elements around etc etc. Those of us who played FF14 and watch those vids do see the differences and to most who haven't played it's a big old "meh".
    Oh, I see the changes to the UI and they're a dramatic improvement over what it was at launch, but I don't see the point in putting the UI in a video that's more focused on scenery. If they want to show off the new UI, make a video devoted to it that shows off specific changes/features in it with some before/after shots and some clips of the new functionality. I don't see the point in cluttering up the beautiful scenery with it : /

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I see the changes to the UI and they're a dramatic improvement over what it was at launch, but I don't see the point in putting the UI in a video that's more focused on scenery. If they want to show off the new UI, make a video devoted to it that shows off specific changes/features in it with some before/after shots and some clips of the new functionality. I don't see the point in cluttering up the beautiful scenery with it : /
    Agreed. I'm pretty interested in this game, but having not played the original version of it, have no idea how much of an improvement this new version is over the last, nor any idea how good the game itself will be. It currently just looks like a normal, albeit nicer looking, MMO. It'd be great if they did videos with specific goals, and use various camera tricks to showcase those goals.

If they wanted to showcase scenery for example, they could show before and after views. Panning camera, wide field of vision, etc.
    If they focused on UI improvements, perhaps they might want to zoom in on their favourite features. Nothing fancy with the camera, focus is on UI. Maybe a zoom in, cut out, with a popup box outlining the highlights of the UI.
    Gameplay can be shown with a mixture of speedup/slow motion. Combat is important; is it fun? Asian mmo combat can be very addictive when done right (Cabal, Dragon Nest - even if the rest of the game kinda sucks, their combat can draw you in for awhile), do they have that?

No CGI for sure. At the moment, I'm guessing that a majority of people who are interested in tracking the progress of this game aren't really the types that are going to be won over by CGI. Waste of time.

Deleted
    Heres some combat for you.

Latest Video showing off quests and combat:

I hope I'll get a chance to play on a japanese version on a japanese server. Would be a great chance to train my japanese.

Final! A video that shows combat and questing. The combat is faster! So excited right now!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitBat69 View Post

should add this from the official forums:

* The battles in this video involve low level enemies. Targeting and actions are demonstrated with the mouse instead of keyboard for greater clarity.

* Level progression is primarily quest-based.

* The battle system is currently undergoing significant revision, including changes to all damage algorithms and the claim system.

And if you think its too easy... hes a level 15 killing level 8 mobs... Taking on two or more mobs of your own level is hard as hell(I know)

I see your point now, it might have been a good idea to highlight any changes that were made between the versions.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBat69 View Post

Looks good so far.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    should add this from the official forums:

* The battles in this video involve low level enemies. Targeting and actions are demonstrated with the mouse instead of keyboard for greater clarity.

* Level progression is primarily quest-based.

* The battle system is currently undergoing significant revision, including changes to all damage algorithms and the claim system.

And if you think its too easy... hes a level 15 killing level 8 mobs... Taking on two or more mobs of your own level is hard as hell(I know)
    Video looked great. Though I liked the way quests were handled in FFXI- made them feel more "epic" as yo had to really figure out what needed to be done. However, it does sound like they going the route that FFXI took when it comes to leveling. Though not as severe as saying you NEED a group, but instead you WANT a group for faster progress.