Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Raiding Guilds - How are you making gold in MoP?

With the changes to feasts and the removal of cauldrons, we're left with a problem when it comes to guild funds.

We have 13 raiders in the roster and they can repair for 350 per day. They pay their own food and flasks, so it's really the only thing we provide. Then we have a bunch of socials, who could repair for 100g per day - until today.

We lost about 130k since MoP and since we never bothered selling runs, we didn't have more than 360k when MoP hit. Now we had to close repairs for socials, cause the gold is being drained so fast. Ofc the social members aren't happy at all but the thing is, that nobody even bothered doing the challenges every week. We sorta used that as one of the reasons, seeing that socials don't raid but still play every day, we think they could have contributed to this.

However, the main issue is the lack of income to raiding guilds in MoP. With barely any BoE's and the recipes dropping left and right, there's no real way of making gold atm. Selling the Blood Spirits when people can still use them for OS gear or selling Sha Crystals, that can be used for the expensive weapon enchants isn't really a solution either.

So what do the rest of you do, to make some gold?

Get all your raiders farming (literally) mats for the feasts and sending them to an officer to cook. Helps with the feast costs.

But yeah not a lot of easy income sources this patch. We sold runs up to the guild gold cap (and then some) last expansion and we're still getting poor. One thing you might consider is setting up a GDKP if your raiders have enough alts. There are very few with so much raid content out at the moment, but if you could get one working and get a reputation on your realm as trustworthy you could really clean up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Denying me ~4-5 OS items a week, DE'ing them in front of my face, and selling the mats. (OS is only open to people who use it, I tank 16/16 fights)

It works pretty well, apparently. We pretty much went broke at the start of the expac. from buying BoEs, and we've regained a few hundred k gold.

You're losing money JUST on repairs? Ouch.
    We made SOME money on blood spirits, but every other guild stopped needing MS upgrades with them around the same time, so that sucked.. The GM and I basically farm for the Flasks/Pots/Pandaren Banquets, AFAIK repairs and income remain fairly balanced.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Get all your raiders farming (literally) mats for the feasts and sending them to an officer to cook. Helps with the feast costs.

But yeah not a lot of easy income sources this patch. We sold runs up to the guild gold cap (and then some) last expansion and we're still getting poor. One thing you might consider is setting up a GDKP if your raiders have enough alts. There are very few with so much raid content out at the moment, but if you could get one working and get a reputation on your realm as trustworthy you could really clean up.

We don't use feasts, we use the best food available and that's why the raiders have to provide this themselves. We're a 10 man guild and all our focus goes to the 4 raid nights we have per week. So GKP runs is out of the question.

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 02:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Braindwen View Post
    Denying me ~4-5 OS items a week, DE'ing them in front of my face, and selling the mats. (OS is only open to people who use it, I tank 16/16 fights)

It works pretty well, apparently. We pretty much went broke at the start of the expac. from buying BoEs, and we've regained a few hundred k gold.
    As a 10 man guild where only a few raiders have decent alts at lvl 90, we have to rely on OS to keep progressing. RNG is RNG and while some people have been lucky (warrior/hunter/shaman as usual), others need the Blood Spirits to upgrade a shitty LFR or rep item. On average we get maybe 6 Blood Spirits per week, that's not going to cut it even if we wanted to.

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 02:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jinivus View Post
    You're losing money JUST on repairs? Ouch.
    We made SOME money on blood spirits, but every other guild stopped needing MS upgrades with them around the same time, so that sucked.. The GM and I basically farm for the Flasks/Pots/Pandaren Banquets, AFAIK repairs and income remain fairly balanced.
    Yes, progressing on Heroics 4 days per week with 13 raiders and maybe 150 socials and nobody doing any challenges to earn any gold, we do lose gold on repairs only.

Deleted
    Tell the Social part to do Challenges, nothing is for free.

Our Guild has dedicated Farmers for Buff food and Collector for Alchemy stuff, The Raiders do the Raid challenge while our Social part does the Scenario / Dungeon challenges.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karrados View Post
    Tell the Social part to do Challenges, nothing is for free.

Our Guild has dedicated Farmers for Buff food and Collector for Alchemy stuff, The Raiders do the Raid challenge while our Social part does the Scenario / Dungeon challenges.
    But are those "farmers" socials? If so, do they do that for free? I'm kinda laughing at the thought of anyone in my guild farming anything for anyone but themselves. Right now several of them are really upset about this and that's something I don't really enjoy.

150 social? They should have to pay their own repairs if they are not contributing to the guild bank or raid progression. with that many socials you guys should be rolling in gold

Well, you just turned off social repairs, I'm sure that fixed it somewhat, see what happens? Don't break yourselves to give socials free repairs, not many provide for 'member'/'friend' ranks.

This is exactly the reason why we've (almost) always denied guild repairs. Generally, repairs cost per person are relatively small and as long as everybody from the start pays for them themselves, nobody minds the fact that they have to pay for them themselves (we made some exceptions for heroic progress from time to time though).

The problem is, now your guild depends on them. Turning them off will make a lot of people unhappy! During Cataclysm, my guild made about 3500g a week just from the guild perks. If you invite enough people into your guild, that amount will be quite significant. But if they're all going to use it for personal repairs, it's not going to do much good.

The other thing you can do is D/E gear that goes for off-spec as someone mentioned. Sell the shards and profit!!

Here are some ideas you can decide what works best for you

Have a guild lottery once a week where half of the funds go to gbank half go to the winner (there used to be addons for this idk if there still are)

Do some old wotlk / cata raids to get titles / mounts (you should hardly have any deaths at all and % of all the gold looted each person goes to gbank) And if you can sell some of these titles or mounts to people you will get no where near the amount but you can still make a little bit

If you have someone you trust who plays the auction house and has multiple toons, give them access to the guild bank as the "banker" and allow them to spend / invest your guild gold to make more gold. You can allow him to keep an amount of the profit to motivate him/her to make more gold or give that player unlimited repairs.

You can help each guild member get more individually wealthy and instead of offering guild repairs / flasks you divide up all the gold the guild bank makes in the week through gold looted / challenges and /roll for BoE and recipes. Direct them to gold making blogs such as http://wowgoldmadeeasy.blogspot.ca/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    This is exactly the reason why we've (almost) always denied guild repairs. Generally, repairs cost per person are relatively small and as long as everybody from the start pays for them themselves, nobody minds the fact that they have to pay for them themselves (we made some exceptions for heroic progress from time to time though).

The problem is, now your guild depends on them. Turning them off will make a lot of people unhappy! During Cataclysm, my guild made about 3500g a week just from the guild perks. If you invite enough people into your guild, that amount will be quite significant. But if they're all going to use it for personal repairs, it's not going to do much good.

The other thing you can do is D/E gear that goes for off-spec as someone mentioned. Sell the shards and profit!!
    Yeah but during Cata our gold funds were fine, mostly due to feasts and cauldrons. Cause back then every raider paid 900g per month to get free feasts and flasks + repairs. It sorta kept the balance and at the same time the socials did a lot more dungeons. But now that the socials arranged their own raids twice a week, they don't have to do dungeons to cap VP=less gold from Cash Flow and almost nothing from challenges.

The sad thing is, that some of them can't even understand the reason we had to close social repairs. They feel that now there's no incentive at all to do challenges, since they can't repair from guild funds anymore.

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 03:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by swunt View Post
    Here are some ideas you can decide what works best for you

Have a guild lottery once a week where half of the funds go to gbank half go to the winner (there used to be addons for this idk if there still are)

Do some old wotlk / cata raids to get titles / mounts (you should hardly have any deaths at all and % of all the gold looted each person goes to gbank) And if you can sell some of these titles or mounts to people you will get no where near the amount but you can still make a little bit

If you have someone you trust who plays the auction house and has multiple toons, give them access to the guild bank as the "banker" and allow them to spend / invest your guild gold to make more gold. You can allow him to keep an amount of the profit to motivate him/her to make more gold or give that player unlimited repairs.

You can help each guild member get more individually wealthy and instead of offering guild repairs / flasks you divide up all the gold the guild bank makes in the week through gold looted / challenges and /roll for BoE and recipes. Direct them to gold making blogs such as http://wowgoldmadeeasy.blogspot.ca/
    Again, we're raiding 4 days per week for 4 hours+. On top of that we have to do some dailies and farm for buff food or make gold to finance said food plus flasks. So there really isn't time nor energy to run through older content that we've been farming the shit out of while it was current content. And even if we did set up some runs, who would even wanna buy them? Open Raid offers everything and for free and mounts + titles that used to be hot, are now easy for even for the casual player base.

A lottery might be a good idea though. We did try this some time ago but not enough people were interested in it, so we dropped that rather fast.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    350g a night sounds like a fairly high amount of repair costs for the gbank to cover. My group raids for 3.5 hours on a raid night. We usually go through about 300g worth of repairs but the Gbank covers about half of that. Sounds like you should just reduce the amount available for raider repairs and remove the ability for non raiders to repair. My guild has three 10 man groups raiding each week and about 200 active members, cash flow has not been an issue for us.

selling patterns. We get like 3 a night and sell them for like 3k per. Its awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post
    use them for OS gear
    That really doesn't seem very smart. I mean it is certainly nice but seriously I doubt that everyone really need os pieces that are so expensive unless the offspec is used on a regular basis in the raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    That really doesn't seem very smart. I mean it is certainly nice but seriously I doubt that everyone really need os pieces that are so expensive unless the offspec is used on a regular basis in the raid.
    First of all, crafted items of 496 quality requires between 5-8 Blood Spirits, so even though only a hand full of us got a crafted item, they're all gone. So up until now, they didn't even go to OS, they went to MS. I was talking about the future, as in, should they be sold for 3k on the AH or should we spend them on some OS gear. And since we're progressing on Heroics with a small roster and no alts to contribute, we have to be more flexible with OS in stead.

First of all, crafted items of 496 quality requires between 5-8 Blood Spirits, so even though only a hand full of us got a crafted item, they're all gone. So up until now, they didn't even go to OS, they went to MS. I was talking about the future, as in, should they be sold for 3k on the AH or should we spend them on some OS gear. And since we're progressing on Heroics with a small roster and no alts to contribute, we have to be more flexible with OS in stead.
    Well it sounded as if no one needed them for mainspec anymore and that you have already handed out some for OS which I find to be an entire waste unless you are certain that this person will need that spec for progress.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

A lottery might be a good idea though. We did try this some time ago but not enough people were interested in it, so we dropped that rather fast.
    a lottery is basically just people paying for their own repairs by a voluntary donation to the gbank with the small chance to win half your money back. may as well just make people pay for a bigger share of repairs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    Well it sounded as if no one needed them for mainspec anymore and that you have already handed out some for OS which I find to be an entire waste unless you are certain that this person will need that spec for progress.
    Aight, I probably didn't explain that part well enough then. But we don't give out loot to someones OS, if we know that someone isn't going to use it.

All this said, I still don't see a viable and more long term way of making gold for the guild bank anymore. It will be a while, before we can actually start selling runs and none of us wants to boost random people for gold tbh. Though we probably should have done it before MoP to stack up some more gold.....

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 04:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    a lottery is basically just people paying for their own repairs by a voluntary donation to the gbank with the small chance to win half your money back. may as well just make people pay for a bigger share of repairs.
    But why would they ever want to pay for someone else's repairs? I mean, why pay a fee just so others can repair more. That's the argument I can already hear people using, if we suggest this.

Switch off all repairs all together. Players get more than enough gold from doing dailies and other stuff in their general play to cover the cost of repairs.