Thread: ASRock MoBos

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

ASRock MoBos

I'm considering purchasing the gaming 790 or gaming 870 from Marest's sample build and would like to get some feedback on the ASrock MoBos as I've never used them before and am unfamliar with them.

Thanks.

They are a great price to performance board company. For what you get for $120 can take over $150 in other boards. They're product quality hasn't always been the highest but in the last few years have tidied up quite a bit and become more reputable. I've heard stories both ways about there customer service being good or bad. But Ive always dealt with newegg or amazon. My extreme4 was burnt out and I got a replacement with no questions asked and its been a great board. Ive also owned a p55 extreme, and an older one cant recall but so far ive personally liked everyone i owned and found them well worth the money. Everyone gets a lemon once in a while dont let that make you change your mind. I've had more Asus boards bad than any other but people put them on a pedastal. I still think they are a great brand I just got unlucky.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Great, thanks demonskies, you alleviated me of my worries =]

Extreme4 user here, excellent mobo!

10+ Year Old Account
    they are great boards, they simply lack the polish and afterthought of the other boards, but that's acceptable given the price point

I stopped using them years ago because if the awful time I had with them, but after reading these forums I decided to try them again since everybody says they're worth the price. Put in an Extreme3 or 4 a few months ago, and within a month the mobo died, replaced it with an Asus and haven't had a problem since. So out of 5-6 builds with one over the past 10 or so years, every single AsRock board has crapped out on me.

I would stay away from AsRock, Just cough up the few bucks and go with another brand. Price to performance there can't be anything worse (as I haven't had one last longer than a month).

Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    Extreme4 user here, excellent mobo!
    Same here. Been working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogretron View Post
    I stopped using them years ago because if the awful time I had with them, but after reading these forums I decided to try them again since everybody says they're worth the price. Put in an Extreme3 or 4 a few months ago, and within a month the mobo died, replaced it with an Asus and haven't had a problem since. So out of 5-6 builds with one over the past 10 or so years, every single AsRock board has crapped out on me.

I would stay away from AsRock, Just cough up the few bucks and go with another brand. Price to performance there can't be anything worse (as I haven't had one last longer than a month).
    Finally someone who realise they're just junk.. For that price you'll rather look for a msi..

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Finally someone who realise they're just junk.. For that price you'll rather look for a msi..
    No... Hell no

Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    No... Hell no
    Asrock z77 extreme4 seems to be the champ of all boards for overclocking and the best for it's price. But it's getting very hot & instable during extreme workloads? I'm not a fan of mosfet anyway. Very bad customer support in case of needing an rma? http://www.overclock.net/t/1271002/a...g-badly-needed

Asrock z77 extreme4 seems to be the champ of all boards for overclocking and the best for it's price. But it's getting very hot & instable during extreme workloads? I'm not a fan of mosfet anyway. Very bad customer support in case of needing an rma? http://www.overclock.net/t/1271002/a...g-badly-needed
    Those guys at overclockers will overclock anything to near death.
    Btw I called customer support. Got a live person and wasn't on hold for very long on the phone and could have arranged for a return or exchange if I wanted. (Right before hanging up with an excuse)
    I guess support by internet isn't very good though? Can often find a hardware guru on a computer help forum website.
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-12-05 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    Those guys at overclockers will overclock anything to near death.
    Well let's say everyone has different opinions about brands. Some people are saying Apple is the God of technology and invented the most while tweakers/system builders like us won't be saying that..

Well let's say everyone has different opinions about brands. Some people are saying Apple is the God of technology and invented the most while tweakers/system builders like us won't be saying that..
    Oh, I hope you didn't mistake me as a Apple hater because of the sig. I just thought it was a funny post I found.
    Anyhow, sure lets leave it off on opinion.
    Some people may have had bad luck while others haven't.

@OP: One thing you can look at for yourself (if you haven't already) are the reviews for both boards on Newegg or Amazon. The 790 and 870 from Newegg both have decent ratings. If they were 2 or 3 stars out of 5, then perhaps I would look for something else as well.
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-12-05 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    Oh, I hope you didn't mistake me as a Apple hater because of the sig. I just thought it was a funny post I found.
    Anyhow, sure lets leave it off on opinion.
    Some people may have had bad luck while others haven't.

@OP: One thing you can look at for yourself (if you haven't already) are the reviews for both boards on Newegg or Amazon. The 790 and 870 from Newegg both have decent ratings. If they were 2 or 3 stars out of 5, then perhaps I would look for something else as well.
    Nono I didn't understand it before but know I do

As a follow up, what is a reasonable mobo I can substitute for the gaming 790 and 870 even with a price hike to 200-250?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been building my own pc's for about 5 years and until recently I stayed away from AsRock. I used to always go with a gigabyte or asus board, but after 4-5 dead gigabyte's and 2 dead asus' (both formula V's so 'supposedly' good boards) I decided to give AsRock a go because I was sick of the extra $50 a board that was dying anyway. Bought a Fatality z77 performance and haven't looked back, have had 4 different configs with this board and it hasn't even had a hiccup, I don't overclock a lot though so I don't know how they go under extreme conditions, but for day to day gaming I've found it exceptional.

Deleted
    I have been using my p67 extreme 4 gen 3 for a year now. It is rock solid, no issues whatsoever. And my 2500k is oced to 4.5 GHz. And i like the look

ASrock z68 extreme4 gen3 here with i5-2500k OC'ed to 45.GHz. EVGA 560 Ti SLI too

Works perfectly, I love my mobo. I've had absolutely no issues with it

ASrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 here also, i5 2500k stable in gaming/benchmarking @ 4.7Ghz. My mobo has resisted multiple attempts on my behalf to flat-line it with absurd overclocks.

Thinking about getting ASRock for a cabin PC with FM2 socket and an A10 APU. Anyone have any experience with their FM1/2 m-ITX cards?