Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    next expansion they will likely remove the requirement along with the requirement of golden lotus to start shadopan and august celestials.

before then i dont see any point to change them except maybe making it more alt friendly
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Wanna know how long it took to get Revered w/ Golden Lotus on a fresh 90 who did nothing prior to 5.1? ONE WEEK. 7 days, and I was Revered, around 4600/21000 to Exalted. Other factions won't be AS fast (August Celestials being the chief one), but as long as it isn't your first 90, any current faction will go by so quick.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

My prediction is that an alternative to daily quests will be added before February. This will coincide with some major initiative to bring players back to the game, similar to the scroll of resurrection that gave a free 80 & free server transfer. The two demographics they'll want to address for inflating subscription numbers are the people who have bought MoP and have since unsubscribed (ineligible for scroll of resurrection, so it would need to be something different), and those who had quit during Cataclysm and held off on buying MoP. I would guess perhaps a free MoP expansion upgrade to lure the latter group back? Then, maybe a big content patch with "quality of life" improvements for the former group, including the big announcement that dailies are no longer required?

Quote Originally Posted by Gande View Post
    Idk what BiS set you're looking at, but every one that i've seen only includes gear from heroic bosses. BiS normal =/= BiS
    Not everyone raids Heroic. Hell, I don't even raid normal (not due to lack of skill, but due to lack of schedule). I run LFR basically, cause it fits my schedule. Just cause you don't see anything beneath Heroic gear being "Best in Slot", doesn't mean, for his level of progression and expectation, it doesn't exist.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    Many of the mechanics were changed in the first update patch including a complete reworking of phase 3. Your raid falling through the floor might occur to 1 or 2 people every 10 or so attempts. Imprisoning the tank was another rare bug that happened maybe 1 out of every 30 or so attempts.

You just go ahead and think world first SW:ToR doesn't mean anything. I can tell you it does. It may not in WoW, because WoW guilds only look at your WoW history most of the time, but in the rest of the MMO community it is a big deal.
    I also find it hard to believe you raided WoW in the US and all of the Nightmare World Firsts for SW:ToR are held by European guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by mosely View Post
    My prediction is that an alternative to daily quests will be added before February. This will coincide with some major initiative to bring players back to the game, similar to the scroll of resurrection that gave a free 80 & free server transfer. The two demographics they'll want to address for inflating subscription numbers are the people who have bought MoP and have since unsubscribed (ineligible for scroll of resurrection, so it would need to be something different), and those who had quit during Cataclysm and held off on buying MoP. I would guess perhaps a free MoP expansion upgrade to lure the latter group back? Then, maybe a big content patch with "quality of life" improvements for the former group, including the big announcement that dailies are no longer required?
    the only thing dailies are required for that helps a raider are tokens and you can get enough tokens to last you a long time just doing a couple dailies every day.

valor gear was only important for raiders at the begining of mists when not all of the raids were out yet and the valor gear was a huge boost.

at this point everyone who wanted valor gear has already gotten it and stopped complaining
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the only thing dailies are required for that helps a raider are tokens and you can get enough tokens to last you a long time just doing a couple dailies every day.

valor gear was only important for raiders at the begining of mists when not all of the raids were out yet and the valor gear was a huge boost.

at this point everyone who wanted valor gear has already gotten it and stopped complaining
    Keep telling yourself that dailies are fine. Blizzard already has your money -- it's not you that they will be catering to when it comes to luring back lost customers.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotesbart View Post
    They probably wont, because there's no point.
    There's no point to the Rep requirement at the minute. It's there simply to ensure you do dailies.

But I can see where you're coming from; wanting the shit just for doing a couple dungeons. It's gap filler for raid gear you've not gotten yet. Not required.
    A lot of stuff that isn't technically required is or was still seen as a mandatory aspect of the game for various reasons. Running raids multiple times a week for example. In this case, the gear provided by the vendors is good enough to go for, it will fill in gaps and it will provide a boost until you get the raid drop. For many players in this game, that alone would be enough to make running content for the VP worth doing.

The rep requirement simply means they have to gain rep with an appropriate faction to unlock the gear. It ends up you spend about 5 weeks earning valor, and 5 weeks to grind rep. The issue being that you HAVE to grind rep. You HAVE to do dailies. You HAVE to do it now. You HAVE to do it quickly. Because, as you say, next tier that gear will be essentially worthless.

So - if it takes 5 weeks to get the VP to get the gear anyway, what point does the rep grind serve? None at all, except to dictate the order in which you get gear and to compel you to do dailies.

As for getting it just for doing a couple of dungeons? That's not quite true...is it? The main concern is that, for many, dailies are a mandatory part of the game. They aren't optional. They give you VP. They give you rep. They give you Charms. They are required for gear. This is exacerbated by the low rewards players get for running through content which makes it more important for players to do as much of the existing content as they can.

Overall, there isn't anything wrong with the dailies or rep grind themselves. The problem lies in making it mandatory to what appears to be a fairly large segment of the player base. It doesn't serve any purpose except to make you do dailies. And as such, I personally can see no reason why it is there.

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2012-12-05 at 05:05 AM.

Keep telling yourself that dailies are fine. Blizzard already has your money -- it's not you that they will be catering to when it comes to luring back lost customers.
    tell that to all the piles of money blizzard are making every month.

im so tired of people like you thinking your subcription matters because you quit over dailies you act as if wow is everquest and has a couple hundred thousand subscribers.

you know what blizzard does when they lose some subs? they go make more games and say "haters gonna hate" blizzard is in no way desperate for subs

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you know that there are other ways to get valor than dailies? Shocking, I know, but bear with me. You can also do Scenarios (yes, they exist) or Heroics. Huh. Heroics give you valor. Wow.
    There has been an awakening... Have you felt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Siltah View Post
    Did you know that there are other ways to get valor than dailies? Shocking, I know, but bear with me. You can also do Scenarios (yes, they exist) or Heroics. Huh. Heroics give you valor. Wow.
    they also increased the valor drop rates for raids and (im not sure i cant remember) i think dungeons

Quote Originally Posted by Siltah View Post
    Now if only there were a way to spend all that valor you are getting without having to buy valor gear. Like a system that would just make the gear you already have better....
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Quote Originally Posted by gurbz View Post
    now if only there were a way to spend all that valor you are getting without having to buy valor gear. Like a system that would just make the gear you already have better....
    blasphemes @_@

15+ Year Old Account
    I see them removing the valor requirement and just making it cost Justice in 5.2, but I do not see them removing the rep requirement ever, not now that it's so easy to get rep.

Want something for free? Go sit on the street and jingle a cup.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

you know what blizzard does when they lose some subs? they go make more games and say "haters gonna hate" blizzard is in no way desperate for subs
    Well, they don't do that. Rather, they bend over backwards to retain subs or lure back old customers, as we can see by the Annual Pass and the revamped Scroll of Resurrection promotions. The Cataclysm dungeon and raid re-tuning debacles were in response to subscriber loss. Blizzard is a smart company, and they will do what they need to do to make sure subscriber numbers are well-padded in the days leading up to their quarterly investor call reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    I see them removing the valor requirement and just making it cost Justice in 5.2, but I do not see them removing the rep requirement ever, not now that it's so easy to get rep.

Want something for free? Go sit on the street and jingle a cup.
    i agree it will most likely become justice points, and ppl will moan they cant ding 90 in 5.2 and instantly grind 20k JP and buy full 489 gear.....cause they need to do dailies, i mean how dare blizz require people do to more than hit the LFG tool, and clear 5man heroics an ele shaman could tank....oh and i have easily tanked bosses in them, if i cared enough i could almost certainly 2man them with a healer thats how pointless 5mans hcs are, dailies are more interesting to me.

btw love the jingle a cup :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I know... almost like upgrading the gear you can get from heroics and the chest after scenarios...

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 05:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    Now if only there were a way to spend all that valor you are getting without having to buy valor gear. Like a system that would just make the gear you already have better....
    I know... It would almost be like you could upgrade the gear you can get from heroics and the chest after scenarios...
    There has been an awakening... Have you felt it?

Well, they don't do that. Rather, they bend over backwards to retain subs or lure back old customers, as we can see by the Annual Pass and the revamped Scroll of Resurrection promotions. The Cataclysm dungeon and raid re-tuning debacles were in response to subscriber loss. Blizzard is a smart company, and they will do what they need to do to make sure subscriber numbers are well-padded in the days leading up to their quarterly investor call reports.
    doing something small that takes almost no time at all isnt exactly "bending over backwards" the annual pass was mostly to try to drive up interest in diablo 3 with the wow playerbase to try to get the demos to cross to get more out of the rmah and the scroll took pretty much no time whatso ever the spectral gryphon mount already existed all they had to do was give it out.

you mistake a small marketing ploy to boost sales with bending over backwards.

the day you see blizzard selling gear on the blizzstore s the day blizzard bends over backwards. and by gear i mean actual gear not white transmogs because i expect transmog gear to be on there eventually because it would make tons of money
    Last edited by Immitis; 2012-12-05 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    I also find it hard to believe you raided WoW in the US and all of the Nightmare World Firsts for SW:ToR are held by European guilds.

They are not. World first clears of EV and KP are held my Condemned which is a US guild.
    Last edited by Mercarcher; 2012-12-05 at 05:38 AM.

doing something small that takes almost no time at all isnt exactly "bending over backwards" the annual pass was mostly to try to drive up interest in diablo 3 with the wow playerbase to try to get the demos to cross to get more out of the rmah and the scroll took pretty much no time whatso ever the spectral gryphon mount already existed all they had to do was give it out.

you mistake a small marketing ploy to boost sales with bending over backwards.

the day you see blizzard selling gear on the blizzstore s the day blizzard bends over backwards.
    I wasn't talking about how technically difficult it was to implement these things...

It's like back in the day, people assumed there could be no way that Blizzard would allow you to create characters of both factions on a PvP realm, but now you can do it. They take a hard stance on some core game mechanic, and then they flip-flop whenever they need to drum up more interest in the game. It's just a matter of time before the dailies of MoP are replaced by some different gating mechanism.