Page 55 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Eric Chavez off to the D-backs on a 1 year $3m deal & Jeff Keppinger off to the White Sox for 3 years at $12m IIRC - things not looking good for the Yankees 3B prospects!!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Unless he refuses to build value. He could go out there every game for the first couple months and basically tell the Marlins to fuck themselves as he bunts the ball or softly swings every time. I honestly don't think his future earning potential would be damaged at all if he went out and had a fuck you couple of months to start the year until they traded him.

Then again Loria could just get ran over by a city bus for some karmic retribution.
    99% of the Time, I would actually disagree with you on this, but in this case ... lol. I highly doubt anyone would blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Eric Chavez off to the D-backs on a 1 year $3m deal & Jeff Keppinger off to the White Sox for 3 years at $12m IIRC - things not looking good for the Yankees 3B prospects!!
    Wow, that's it? Not that I was expecting him to get any more, but if that's all it took, you would have thought the Yankee's would have thrown a pile of money at him with news of ARod's hip surgery.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    99% of the Time, I would actually disagree with you on this, but in this case ... lol. I highly doubt anyone would blame him.

Wow, that's it? Not that I was expecting him to get any more, but if that's all it took, you would have thought the Yankee's would have thrown a pile of money at him with news of ARod's hip surgery.
    They're looking at Youkillis (or whatever) for 3B.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    Ya usually it would give a guy a bad rap, but I think every single other owner (outside of KC who never spends the money to sell off their whole team) in the league would support his decision to be petulant, especially the revenue share paying owners who probably want to murder Loria.

10+ Year Old Account
    looks like Seattle is going to sign Jason Bay, I guess so he and Figgins can battle for lowest average

I wonder what it would take to pry Felix away from them when they've got 55 losses by mid-season...

I can just see the Dodger vultures circling them already, but maybe I'm wrong and Seattle will get fat at the Astros' expense

on that subject, I'd have to guess the Dodgers are targeting Youkilis as well, since they could put him at 3rd, keep Hanley at short, jettison Uribe into his career abyss, and try to deal Dee Gordon for pitching, but declining injury guys like Youkilis are hard to price, I would've much rather have gotten Chavez and platooned him with Cruz

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    looks like Seattle is going to sign Jason Bay, I guess so he and Figgins can battle for lowest average
    They replaced the Chode with Jason Bay?! HA Replacing a Mendoza line player with another Mendoza line player on a team that CAN'T HIT is hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.

Chavez apparently lives in Arizona AND the $3m is more than he made in the Bronx over 2 years combined, so it's an upgrade for him, I agree you'd have thought the Yankees would have chucked $5m on a 1 year deal to try and get it done but apparently they only got to the "discussion" stage never a firm offer, he was a reliable enough player in NY, shame to lose him.

Youk is apparently getting interest from Cashman, not sure how that would go down though!

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yanks are trying to get there payroll down a lot I think young Stienbrenner is going to sell the team in a few years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Yanks are trying to get there payroll down a lot I think young Stienbrenner is going to sell the team in a few years.
    I can not wait to see how many billions that franchise is worth. If the Dodgers were $2 billion+ jesus the Yankees are going to be nuts. Along with YES and w/e else the Yankees corporation owns. Good lord is that going to be a huge sale.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I can not wait to see how many billions that franchise is worth. If the Dodgers were $2 billion+ jesus the Yankees are going to be nuts. Along with YES and w/e else the Yankees corporation owns. Good lord is that going to be a huge sale.
    It depends on the value of the current YES Network TV deal and when it runs out. The value of the Dodgers was inflated by the personnel involved in the bidding and the fact that a new TV deal was around the corner based on 2012 dollars. The Guggenheim Group was literally bidding against itself to expedite the sale.

10+ Year Old Account
    yea it took a confluence of events to push things to $2 billion

the Yankees don't own Yes - less so now that News Corp. bought a massive chunk of them last month but any sale of the Yankees will eclipse the Dodgers deal by a long margin! For what it's worth it wouldn't surprise me to see them sell up but I get the feeling the payroll thing is mostly to clear the luxury tax, all they need to do is dip under for one season and it's wiped clear under the CBA, doesn't sound like much, but you try telling a rich person they can save themselves $30m - it never fails to work. I think a lot of it has to do with negative feeling surrounding their being caught with Arod's contract and never wanting to be in the position where they get that sort of shitstorm again because every time he goes into a slump or sucks in the postseason the Steinbrenners hear all about it.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    the Yankees don't own Yes.
    The point is any valuation of the Yankees is going to be dependent on contractual TV money, not who owns YES! The Dodgers don't own FOX Sports Net, but they $6-7B over the next 25 years are considered part of their assets.

15+ Year Old Account
    the Yankees don't own Yes
    Wikipedia says they do. The same company that owns the Yankees (Yankee Global Enterprises) owns the majority of YES with Newscorp owning the other 49% of the company.

Problem is who the hell would have the funds to buy the Yankees, I mean looking at it subjectively they're the most famous franchise in baseball, the real estate of Yankee Stadium must be huge & well, they have arguably the third most common brand logo in world business behind only Apple & Coke! Wouldn't like to be the guy paying for that that's for sure!

Problem is who the hell would have the funds to buy the Yankees, I mean looking at it subjectively they're the most famous franchise in baseball, the real estate of Yankee Stadium must be huge & well, they have arguably the third most common brand logo in world business behind only Apple & Coke! Wouldn't like to be the guy paying for that that's for sure!
    Maybe... Apple and Coke will team up to buy them. :P

(Kidding)

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Well if Apple bought them it would atleast give them an answer to the Arod questions - we wouldn't be holding him right, there's always a bit of blurring/light around the edges and they'll work to solve the Arod app problems....

lol, iRod! Don't worry guys, we can fix it with a software patch.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

haha yep, although you could see fans of the other 28 franchises & the people who for some reason still follow the Marlins having a field day with iRoid!

15+ Year Old Account
    WOOOOOOOO The antitrust lawsuit that is going to destroy baseball's blackout territories and is going to be the first domino in the annihilation of all the fucking blackout rules is going forward thanks to a federal judges ruling that the policy is indeed evil and anti-competitive. The NHL and a number of other smaller leagues were attached to the ruling, but it will likely spread to the NBA and NFL as well. They will likely end up settling so that the feds aren't poking through their precious veils of secrecy around how many billions the MLB is actually making. Hopefully this eliminates the antiquated blackout rules that are fucking terrible and then I can watch Pistons games on my Kindle rather than having them blacked out.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lawsuit...015544096.html

For reference, this is the MLBs blackout markets by team not including Hawaii which is an absolute nightmare (I think 4 teams claim it as their home despite only one of them actually being available on tv).
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-12-06 at 09:37 PM.