Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It is nice that people think that Blizzard implementing something can affect the laws of economics. People lie to get what they want. Animals lie to get what they want. Plants lie to get what they want. I'm sure you could find examples of the other five kingdoms using subterfuge to procreate. It is a very effective means of getting ahead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackarthas View Post
    oh no someone is butthurt for one day cause someone stole his item on a video game, seriously grow up
    maturity is such a subjective concept nowadays.

Deleted
    Master loot next time.

People like that often think "it's just a game" or don't really consider it important, contrary to the one being offended. They're retarded but it happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackarthas View Post
    oh no someone is butthurt for one day cause someone stole his item on a video game, seriously grow up
    No, sociopathic behavior should be condemned and shunned in a MMO, period.

Not excused.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 04:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Because sometimes things with material value are more valuable than what people think of you.

I remember I was in BWD once. Heart of Rage was an amazing trinket. ML gave it to me because I'd won the roll. I'd rolled as a joke, but actually did want it. I thought that he just didn't give a shit because he gave it to me as a tank, but minutes later asked me to give it to another player.

And I was like LOL FUCK THAT COUCH

I walked up to the player, opened trade and unplugged my router. never heard from them again.

I used the trinket for a very long time, too. Loved it. I actually killed like 6 people with it at Waterworks in a Reckstorm once. WHAT THE FUCK A WARRIOR CANT DO THAT! THEY GOT NERFD, TO THE GROUND. INCONCEIVABLE!!!

But hey

welcome to why master loot was invented.
    Perfect example of sociopathy: Blame the system, not the behavior in the first place. -_-
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    That and it's the internet.
    The anonymity* of the internet.

Like the guy said, before cross-realm shenanigans your reputation (your real one, not some number on a progress bar) was a valuable thing, and assholes were shunned for a reason.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, this ha snothing to do with LFG and people less worried about reputation on their server. The 'shunning' back in the days was nowhere near as prevalent as some people would have you believe. Perhaps in the first year of Classic/Vanilla, but not after that. I have encountered several ninjas and they would be named and shamed in trade, maybe have a hard time for a day or two. After that most people had moved on and forgotten about it anyway. They'd still get into PUGs especially if they were skilled/geared they'd hardly notice and hindrance after acting like a ninja.

Nevertheless I'm afraid this is basically what goes on in the real world too, people's word means less than it used to. But in all honesty the behaviour itself is of all times. If people want something really bad enough, they do anything.
    People are honest until the moment they think they may get away with it. Or if the trade-off is positive in their opinion. Nothing you can do about it, just human nature. But it's sad to see that people act like this over a bunch of pixels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Nice reading comprehension there. They were grouping from the same server.
    1: It doesn't say anywhere, it was same server, only it was in KW.. Since CRZ is already active in PandaLand, it could easily be CRZ-group..
    2: People take the LFG behaviour to their servers, for the same reasons I stated above: Theydon't need to speak to anyone again, and thus people behave as jerns..

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    The anonymity* of the internet.

Like the guy said, before cross-realm shenanigans your reputation (your real one, not some number on a progress bar) was a valuable thing, and assholes were shunned for a reason.
    No it wasn't. Your "reputation" never meant squat unless you were deliberately targeted for bullying by the biggest guilds on the realm. And that could happen whether you are guilty or not.

There is absolutely nothing great in servers ruled by lynch mob.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Cross-realm zones aren't enabled in Pandaria.
    Yes they are.. I see off-server toons in all zones.. Most often in Halfhill, but they are seen in all zones, even the cities, which Blizzard said would be omitted from CRZ..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    First of all, this ha snothing to do with LFG and people less worried about reputation on their server. The 'shunning' back in the days was nowhere near as prevalent as some people would have you believe. Perhaps in the first year of Classic/Vanilla, but not after that. I have encountered several ninjas and they would be named and shamed in trade, maybe have a hard time for a day or two. After that most people had moved on and forgotten about it anyway. They'd still get into PUGs especially if they were skilled/geared they'd hardly notice and hindrance after acting like a ninja.
    No it wasn't. Your "reputation" never meant squat unless you were deliberately targeted for bullying by the biggest guilds on the realm. And that could happen whether you are guilty or not.

There is absolutely nothing great in servers ruled by lynch mob.
    My experience of the first years BEFORE cross-realm stuff must be very different from yours. Repeated offenders / assholes were named and known NOT to group with. That's not bullying or lynch-mobbing, it's repercussions within a social structure. Vice versa, people who were courteous, knowledgeable and helpful were moreoften asked.

I saw the decline happen on my server after cross-realm stuff was implemented. I saw it get many times worse when the PVE portions of the game got hit by it.

This is my experience and I'm sticking with what I saw and felt happening. Apparently, per server, your mileage may vary.

Edit: I guess, in retrospect, one could draw comparisons between 'small town everybody knows eachother good times' VS 'big town get out of my way asshole I'm late for work'.
    Last edited by Chonar; 2012-12-06 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Yes they are.. I see off-server toons in all zones.. Most often in Halfhill, but they are seen n all sones, evev the cities, which Blizzard said wold be omitted from CRZ..
    You can group with people from X-realm, but there's no actual CRZ enabled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Perfect example of sociopathy: Blame the system, not the behavior in the first place. -_-
    Oh no, someone gave me something I wanted but didn't realize I wasn't a dps when they gave it to me. I'm a sociopath because I pulled my router and never spoke to them again.

You're funny.

My experience of the first years BEFORE cross-realm stuff must be very different from yours. Repeated offenders were named and known NOT to group with. Vice versa, people who were courteous, knowledgeable and helpful were moreoften asked.
    People were named and shamed ALL THE TIME in general, half the time it was guild drama spilling out, in some cases it was real world friends messing with each other, some times it was someone butthurt over losing a roll. Yeah, sometimes people were called out to be ninjas - that is assuming it wasn't a lie to begin with. It's a TERRIBLE way to police a good community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    LFG system is to blame...
    It really isn't.

I remember when being called out for being a ninja was terrible, guilds would refuse to take you if you'd screwed over someone in the past, when your reputation on the server meant something but those days died long before LFG came to light.

Call someone out in trade now as a ninja, see what happens and that has nothing to do with LFG, it's to do with the people playing the game now and the general "mine, mine, mine" attitude that exists now.

10+ Year Old Account
    About a week ago I saw someone in trade chat an azure whelpling for 6k. Having farmed for it for countless hours i asked him if he'd go maybe lower, he actually said he would do 4k. I then asked if he could send it CoD since i am poor (at the moment) and would take me a few hours to get some gold.

About an hour later in the mail comes 4k and the whelp. Having hit open all the mail deleted itself and i had since /reload so i didn't have his name saved anymore. I felt bad about it but nothing i could really do. About 2 days ago, i saw this same guy in Darkmoon Faire Fishing. I opened up traded handed him 4k and told him why, he said because i was honest about it that me keeping the whelp for free was no issue.

Karma being awesome, about 30 minutes after that 4 of my TCG pets sold for about 5-8k each.

10+ Year Old Account
    People were named and shamed ALL THE TIME in general, half the time it was guild drama spilling out, in some cases it was real world friends messing with each other, some times it was someone butthurt over losing a roll. Yeah, sometimes people were called out to be ninjas - that is assuming it wasn't a lie to begin with. It's a TERRIBLE way to police a good community.
    Again, your mileage may vary. Apparently your server had more trolls than mine in its infancy.

But if you think I'm talking about something like [2][Trade]Legolazz: OMFG DORFMON WARRIOR LVL 60 FROM GUILD FANCYLADS IS A NINJA HE STOLE [Devout Robe]... then we're talking about different things. That's not a sign of a healthy community, it's desperately yelling into the dark. No different from today.

Again, your mileage may vary. Apparently your server had more trolls than mine in its infancy.

But if you think I'm talking about something like [2][Trade]Legolazz: OMFG DORFMON WARRIOR LVL 60 FROM GUILD FANCYLADS IS A NINJA HE STOLE [Devout Robe]... then we're talking about different things. That's not a sign of a healthy community, it's desperately yelling into the dark. No different from today.
    Okay, don't you think that if your solution isn't applicable to EVERY server, it's not a good solution to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Theholypally View Post
    He should have master looted?

A mistake many people make is believing that other people will actually keep their word.
    Fixed this one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    It's not just prevelent in WoW. I'm sure *Ninjas* happen in other MMO's or any online game.
    It happens irl too. It is little to do with the internet. If someone is an arse irl they will be in game. If they are a spoiled needy mummy's boy irl they will be in game. Some people are very angelic, very nice and honourable and kind irl some people are murderous psychopaths, and there are all sorts in between - and the same in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should never trust anyone that you don't have leverage on. Like someone you know that lives not too far away so that in the worst case scenario you COULD go and break their legs if they double cross you.