Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need to build a new computer.

My Computer: Really old, fps is horrible, slow, can't fraps/stream while playing WoW. Need to play lowest settings available or else it's seriously unplayable. Playing WoW for less then 15 minutes causes my computer to completely shut down. I'm getting sick of it and need a huge upgrade, hence i'm trying to build a new computer.

New Computer (What i'm looking for): Must be able to play WoW on Ultra settings with no effect on FPS. Must be able to stream/fraps as well under 1080p. Also be able to raid a 25man without FPS drop. Something smooth , something nice not too expensive.

Budget: Can't really exceed $1000 as of right now. I know i probably can't stream a 25man raid under ultra settings and not expect an fps drop especially with my budget but anything would be an amazing upgrade compared to my current computer. If there are upgrades to certain parts which i can buy after , please list them on the side. THANK YOU VERY MUCH <33

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 08:39 PM ----------

Any advice would be greatly appreciated , help a noob out lol
    Last edited by Epicmagelol; 2012-12-07 at 01:24 AM.

CPU: 3570k & cooler -> Thermaltake CLP0552 36.2 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    HDD: WD blue 1TB
    GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
    Case: Nzxt phantom 410
    PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX650W v2 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply which costs 70$ and is being produced by seasonic

Total -> 870$

Which gives you room for a new monitor

Thank for the quick reply , is anything on that list an over kill? and if you don't mind placing the price for each piece. I don't need anything too fancy but at the same time I for sure don't want anything that would under perform

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 08:46 PM ----------

The $1k budget is really pushing it for me , i'd be comfortable spending around 700ish .. anything above that atm would possibly push me into credit.

10+ Year Old Account
    700 is low, even 1000 is barely making it if you're expecting 60+ fps smooth 100% of the time on ultra settings.
    Add streaming in there and good luck =\

That's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Vinho; 2012-12-07 at 01:53 AM.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Quote Originally Posted by Epicmagelol View Post
    Thank for the quick reply , is anything on that list an over kill? and if you don't mind placing the price for each piece. I don't need anything too fancy but at the same time I for sure don't want anything that would under perform

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 08:46 PM ----------

The $1k budget is really pushing it for me , i'd be comfortable spending around 700ish .. anything above that atm would possibly push me into credit.
    Okay sorry here you go. http://imgur.com/hjQy4

Uhm you can drop the nzxt phantom case for a COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 which costs 30$ and has options to install more fans. Don't ask me why I've recommended you a 650w psu, my mistake. Get an antec 430 PSU which costs 40$. So you basically saved 100$ so which makes a total of 770$

Okay thank you so much for the help Faithh <3 .

Okay thank you so much for the help Faithh <3 .
    No problem

One question though, What's the difference between the two PSU that you suggested?

One question though, What's the difference between the two PSU that you suggested?
    The first one just can deliver more power but it was overkill anyway. For such a spec which I gave you don't need 650W. Both are perfect & reliable PSU's. 430W is more than enough power for the system.

Alright , thanks again <3 .

10+ Year Old Account
    New Computer (What i'm looking for): Must be able to play WoW on Ultra settings with no effect on FPS. Must be able to stream/fraps as well under 1080p. Also be able to raid a 25man without FPS drop. Something smooth , something nice not too expensive.
    And Again, you can't get ultra+ settings, raiding 25 man (especially on a fight like elegon) while Streaming or Frapsing, and expect untouched FPS with a $700, else you're in LaLa Land
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Quote Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
    And Again, you can't get ultra+ settings, raiding 25 man (especially on a fight like elegon) while Streaming or Frapsing, and expect untouched FPS with a $700, else you're in LaLa Land
    Dude why not? WoW uses 2 cores, so 2 cores are free to be used for streaming or frapsing programs. If you know how to set up the cores stuff.

Can't really exceed $1000 as of right now. I know i probably can't stream a 25man raid under ultra settings and not expect an fps drop especially with my budget but anything would be an amazing upgrade compared to my current computer. <<<< Did you not read that part or are you just that retarded? I know that streaming or frapsing a fight in a 25 raid setting will obv hit my fps. If you aren't saying anything useful , say nothing at all.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    yea im not going to get in any pissing matches but i dont agree with this either. if you know what youre doing and buy the right components im sure this is achieveable. the resource demand for WoW's graphics are fast becoming a joke

Can't really exceed $1000 as of right now. I know i probably can't stream a 25man raid under ultra settings and not expect an fps drop especially with my budget but anything would be an amazing upgrade compared to my current computer. <<<< Did you not read that part or are you just that retarded? I know that streaming or frapsing a fight in a 25 raid setting will obv hit my fps. If you aren't saying anything useful , say nothing at all.
    Streaming/Fraps doesn't add a load to your gpu, but rather it's very disk intensive & a tiny bit on that cpu. I've recorded with fraps a 25m raids before with a q9550 and a 6870 which was fine.

Can anyone get into a little more detail on how to use the other 2 cores for frapsing or streaming so it doesnt hit my fps? , either dokilar or faithh or anyone else that has any idea? Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    yea im not going to get in any pissing matches but i dont agree with this either. if you know what youre doing and buy the right components im sure this is achieveable. the resource demand for WoW's graphics are fast becoming a joke
    I beg to differ.

I'm running a $3k set up, i7-3770k @ 4.2ghz, GTX 680 etc... blah blah.. I can run BF3, Witcher 2 and a multitude of other games on ultra at a solid 60 fps.

WoW however... sometimes I drop to 30-40fps in Stormwind on Frostmourne (High pop) and it gets fairly choppy in 25m raids. Not sure if it's due to bad optimization or something... I don't know.

Anyway, Epicmagelol with a $1k setup you'll probably have to play on good-high in raids and streaming, you still may have to go down to semi-low for 25m streaming with a 660 or even a 660ti.

Sooo... yea.
    Last edited by Ineko; 2012-12-07 at 02:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go for it. I'm not trying to sound like an ass or anything.

I'd like a link to your stream once you're raiding 25 mans, show me you're on ultra and streaming at 720p or higher and I'll admit I was wrong.

Don't forget an OS, are you sticking with whatever OS is on your current system? If not that's another $100 for Win7; Optical Drive to install is another $20 bill, $10 for some thermal paste, do you have the tools necessary?

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 09:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ineko View Post
    EDIT: You can't assign cores to do thing by the way, they just take the load which is put on them and spread it out between all 2, 4, 6 or however many cores you have. >_>
    Yes you can set the affinity of your cores to specific programs to make it more streamlined for playing WoW (on cores 0,1) + Frapsing (on cores 2,3) for example

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineko View Post
    I beg to differ.

I'm running a $3k set up, i7-3770k @ 4.2ghz, GTX 680 etc... blah blah.. I can run BF3, Witcher 2 and a multitude of other games on ultra at a solid 60 fps.

WoW however... sometimes I drop to 30-40fps in Stormwind on Frostmourne (High pop) and it gets fairly choppy in 25m raids. Not sure if it's due to bad optimization or something... I don't know.

Anyway, Epicmagelol with a $1k setup you'll probably have to play on good-high in raids and streaming, you still may have to go down to semi-low for 25m streaming with a 660 or even a 660ti.

Sooo... yea.

EDIT: You can't assign cores to do thing by the way, they just take the load which is put on them and spread it out between all 2, 4, 6 or however many cores you have. >_>
    agree to disagree i reckon. i built a fairly low budget build about a year and a half ago that runs/ran WoW at ultra settings and didnt suffer massive (or even noticeable) drops in fps when i frapsed. granted i have never streamed so i dont know what kind of demand this puts on a computer

edit : also im going to have to disagree with your comment about not being able to assign cores to do things, you can in fact assign your computer cores to do and not to do things, like what vinho said
    Last edited by dokilar; 2012-12-07 at 02:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Yes you can set the affinity of your cores to specific programs to make it more streamlined for playing WoW (on cores 0,1) + Frapsing (on cores 2,3) for example
    Ah ok, learn something new everyday... seems rather tedious and time wasting if you have a decent CPU though.