Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

British T.V Licenses.

This is a question towards Americans, would you guy pay for a fair balanced news channel such as the BBC?
    I know their are some reputable news channels in America but some are just awfully biased.

I like the fact that the BBC is payed for the people and held directly accountable by the people, we are in charge.
    I watched the election in America and I just thought that so many people where twisted into voting for certain candidates depending on the news stations ideals and only reporting on news that shows their candidate in a good light.
    Here is the UK we pretty much hate all are politicians and they are always under the spot light.
    So would you be willing to pay for a T.V License to get a high standard news organization such as the BBC?
    Also we get Top Gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, there are balanced new sources in the United States, and they are not hard to find. I probably watch abc the most, and they are fairly balanced. maybe leaning to the left a little.

and why would I pay for news?

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    No, there are balanced new sources in the United States, and they are not hard to find. I probably watch abc the most, and they are fairly balanced. maybe leaning to the left a little.

This is the problem for sure. I'm British and love the BBC (but then I grew up watching Blackadder and the Young Ones, so I always will) but the presence of a relatively unbiased (they are slightly left leaning for sure) news source doesn't stop plenty of other media sources with a heavier political agenda from existing.

The news alone doesn't justify the fee, it's all the other stuff they do as well.

Deleted
    I'm sorry I didn't specify that we also get a few channels and radio stations devoid of adverts and high quality t.v shows.

Deleted

We do not actually pay for the news, the license fee actually covers four (plus more cable / satelite only channels) TV stations - BBC1, BB2, BB3 and BB4, plus many (many) radio stations. All are free of advertising so no comercials on ANY of the TV stations OR radio shows. That alone is worth me paying my £23 ish a month. If you think of Spotify, and how many people pay the subscription to avoid the commercials.

The license fee was introduced back in the 1950's I believe, before comercial TV / Radio was even a pipe dream. People complain about it over here in the UK because you can actually be prosecuted for not paying (it IS a tax), and there are some arguments regarding cable / satelitte TV offering so much choice channel wise that people resent paying a tax for something they may not watch at all.

All in all though, if it means things like Merlin, Sherlock Holmes, Top Gear, Never Mind the Buzcocks, Have I got news for you, QI, Mock the Week, Would I lie to you, Match of the day, Pointless, Weakest Link, Master Chef, Dragons Den and the Apprentice all continue to be made (just off the top of my head!), plus the most neutral news source I can think of in the world, with no political links I am happy to pay my fee.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how you handle it, but the question was would we pay for it.

Now that I hear your description, it sounds as if a company one day bribes congress to force everyone to purchase cable. And just last week I already watched Merlin for free on youtube.

I don't watch cable or own it. I watch Netflix and youtube mostly.

Regarding news, I would be against that as well. Some guy runs in and tells me Obama just won the presidency, and I don't feel obligated to slip him a dollar just for telling me.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2012-12-07 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTheHoe View Post
    This is a question towards Americans, would you guy pay for a fair balanced news channel such as the BBC?
    I know their are some reputable news channels in America but some are just awfully biased.

I like the fact that the BBC is payed for the people and held directly accountable by the people, we are in charge.
    I watched the election in America and I just thought that so many people where twisted into voting for certain candidates depending on the news stations ideals and only reporting on news that shows their candidate in a good light.
    Here is the UK we pretty much hate all are politicians and they are always under the spot light.
    So would you be willing to pay for a T.V License to get a high standard news organization such as the BBC?
    Also we get Top Gear.
    i live in both the uk and America and i just have to say as a whole british tv is so much better than american tv.

im not saying american tv is bad, alot of my favorite shows are american but when i dont have my dvr and i dont get to pick and choose my favorite programs its alot easier to just flip through the channels and find an entertaining show when im over in the uk then when im in america.

i think the trade off though is that american shows usually have much longer seasons wheras most british shows have much shorter seasons so i guess its kind of a quality over quantity thing
    Last edited by Immitis; 2012-12-07 at 10:05 AM.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    I don't know how you handle it, but the question was would we pay for it.

Now that I hear your description, it sounds as if a company one day bribes congress to force everyone to purchase cable. And just last week I already watched Merlin for free on youtube.

I don't watch cable or own it. I watch Netflix and youtube mostly.

Regarding news, I would be against that as well. Some guy runs in and tells me Obama just won the presidency, and I don't feel obligated to slip him a dollar just for telling me.
    Without the license fee we pay in the UK, there would be nothing from the BBC on Netflix so I dont get your point?

Deleted
    I'm British, and I support the TV licence in theory. The BBC website is fantastic, and no matter what anybody tries to claim, the BBC is simply the best, most unbiased major news company in the world.

However.

There is far too much shit. Cash in the Attic, Bargain Hunt and so on. That kind of drivel should be left to TV channels funded by advertising. Unfortunately that means the few decent shows (Top Gear) should also go. I'd strip the BBC to the News 24 channel, one radio station and the website. Put programmes like Question Time, Panorama and Newsnight on the new 24 hour service, and drastically reduce the cost to us all. £150 a year is simply too much for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon-AN View Post
    Without the license fee we pay in the UK, there would be nothing from the BBC on Netflix so I dont get your point?
    there would also be no doctor who O-O and a world without doctor who isnt a world id like to live in
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Deleted
    It's worth noting for anyone answering this who's american and doesn't know about our TV license that the TV License in the UK makes it so that there is absolutely zero advertising on BBC channels. There is 24 hour news coverage available, but the BBC also shows (on multiple stations) a wide variety of arts, documentaries and entertainment shows with no advertising breaks. It covers 16 channels including 2 dedicated news channels. There are no shareholders so hypothetically it's supposed to make our news and broadcasting on these channels remain completely impartial.

All of this content – and the television channels, radio stations and online spaces where audiences can find it – is paid for by the licence fee, allowing BBC's UK services to remain free of advertisements and independent of shareholder and political interest.

We aim to collect the fee efficiently and fairly in order to deliver value for money for licence fee payers. In 1991 collection costs came to 6.2% of the total fee collected. By 2009/10 we had reduced this to 3.5%, allowing more money to go towards new content and services.

The Government has now frozen the fee at £145.50 until the end of the current BBC Charter period in 2016.
    However.... this is not an optional fee. You cannot have cable, and not pay for a TV License. You HAVE to have a TV license legally if you are running a TV in the UK, even if you never, ever, watch those channels. You cannot opt out of the BBC and take other premium channels.

The actual definition,

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.
    I know when I moved here with my American husband he really did not find the concept very fair, because you can't choose not to pay for the BBC programming even if you don't intend to ever use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon-AN View Post

but the question was would we pay for it, not you. You can keep paying for it if you want.

I doubt that tactic would go well over here though.

I prefer what we already have, and we already get top gear and bbc shows on netflix, and it's cheaper than the tax.

You see i hate the license, because it isnt one.

Its a ham fisted stealth tax that demands money with menaces. Can i chose not to pay but just watch the other terrestrial channels, no.

Can i have a TV for the purpose of watching dvds, yes but only if someone comes round and checks.

I love the bbc for Dr Who and the news. It just bugs me a lot, that it isnt a license.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post

Its a ham fisted stealth tax that demands money with menaces. Can i chose not to pay but just watch the other terrestrial channels, no.

Can i have a TV for the purpose of watching dvds, yes but only if someone comes round and checks.

I love the bbc for Dr Who and the news. It just bugs me a lot, that it isnt a license.
    the way i look at it is its less of a license and more of me paying the people who make doctor who to let me watch it without ads O-O which is good enough for me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the way i look at it is its less of a license and more of me paying the people who make doctor who to let me watch it without ads O-O which is good enough for me
    Is there any choice to pay for this or not? Even if you don't have a television?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    I personally dislike the new doctor who not because of the new doctor (he's very good, but it's hard to follow Tennant) but because of the side kicks.

Nothing beats the duo of Rose and the Doctor.

The license fee was introduced back in the 1950's I believe, before comercial TV / Radio was even a pipe dream. People complain about it over here in the UK because you can actually be prosecuted for not paying (it IS a tax), and there are some arguments regarding cable / satelitte TV offering so much choice channel wise that people resent paying a tax for something they may not watch at all.
    What I complain about,

Its that what ever household I'm currently living in, weather its home for x mas, or here with my land lady, both places pay their license for their property, but lets use my student digs as the main focus, if I watch TV online because I have no signal cable in my room, and I obv cant use her lounge, It prompts me with a reminder I need to pay for a TV license to watch it on the friken internet, which I don't I think its out of order,

Same with back home, folks pay their 20 quid a month, we have 7 tvs I think on the go, 1 in kitchen, 1 in lounge 1 in office, 3 and in each bedroom and one in the conservatory so yea 7, if I want to watch it online, same prompt comes up, but I can go out buy another 10 tvs, hook them up and not pay any extra (mins the hardware cost)

its ridiculous
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    Is there any choice to pay for this or not? Even if you don't have a television?
    If you don't watch T.V you don't have to pay.

I hope one day you can just pick if you wish to watch the BBC or not.
    I would still pay it even if that option was available.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post

Ftw, my old boss decided not to pay his tv lisence, and just do dvds, and ITV for sport,

I lol'd when he had an official warning and pre warning for a court summons for not paying and watching TV
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

You can but still have to have someone come round and check to make sure your not using it.

I buy my Dr Who on dvd after its been shown.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?