Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account

Major differences between U2713HM and U2711?

I'm looking at getting a 2560x1440 monitor and with me having a U2311 already it seems logical to upgrade to the bigger, better version because I'm a fan.

I can see that the U2713HM is similar to the U2711 on most specifications except the Contrast Ratio and other bits and bobs but the U2711 is nearly £100 more on amazon, what are the major differences between the two that would play a factor whilst playing games and watching movies?

U2713HM Amazon Link

U2711 Amazon Link

Major difference outside of connectivity is that the U2713HM is a 8 bit vs the U2711 which is 10bit (actually 8bit IPS + FRC). Honestly if the numbers mean nothing to you get the cheaper one and if all you are doing is watching movies or playing games you will not notice the difference. The extra color space only matters if you are doing work outside of RGB.
    Last edited by Jinto; 2012-12-07 at 07:44 PM.

Besides the above U2711 is older CFL backlight model and U2713HM is newer LED backlight model.

LED version will have better contrast ratio and the monitor physically smaller and lighter, but based on the details in above post the LED version is less accurate if you need perfectly calibrated colors for physical print media.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-12-07 at 07:35 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    The AG coating is a lot less on the 2713HM. Apperently white looks a bit dirty on the 2711 due to the coating, whereas on the 2713hm this is a lot less.

If you are buying it for gaming/movie watching, get the 2713HM. If you need to for picture quality etc, get the 2713H (this model is only just introduced/announced and it the real succesor to the 2711)

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the quick response guys! I think I know what you mean with the 'dirty whites' and I think my 2311 has that.

I'll look at getting a 2713HM then as it will be used for gaming 99% of the time with the occasional movie.

Deleted
    Well im getting one somewhere next week as well. There seems to be a small price drop going on over here, so im hoping its dropping just a little bit more.

A shop had it for 490 euro 3 weeks ago, when i didnt have the money -.- now it is around 530

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    LED version will have better contrast ratio and the monitor physically smaller and lighter, but based on the details in above post the LED version is less accurate if you need perfectly calibrated colors for physical print media.
    Should also use less power and generate less heat. I know my U2711 uses ~102W effectively and generates a hefty amount of heat. LED displays should always generate less heat due to the diodes. My U2212HMs uses less than 60W together (turning them off makes the dial go from 313W total system usage to 263W and turning off the U2711 as well makes it drop to 161W).
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-12-07 at 11:57 PM.

Deleted
    You are right the 2713HM uses not even 40 watt out of the box. Or thats what tftcentral measured. It went even further down after calibration. I also think thats pretty impressive for a 27 inch screen.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Less power and heat is always good too!

Speaking about the prices; would it be wise to wait until after the Christmas period to purchase? I've found it for £435 on ebay, brand new with the 3 year warranty from Dell still included. I'm more than happy to pay that price but if it'll drop more just by waiting until the new year then I'm happy to say a few squid.

Deleted
    I guess you could wait for some christmas specials. But i doubt it will go much lower than that. Prices of the 27 inch ultrasharps are pretty stable i think.

sale

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I guess you could wait for some christmas specials. But i doubt it will go much lower than that. Prices of the 27 inch ultrasharps are pretty stable i think.
    Sale at Dell accessories website until Dec 13, 2012 Thursday for the 2713hm for about ~$630 after coupon, unfortunately being a new user I can't post any links images or vids...bummer

not sure if PM works either, but you guys can do a search on google it will come up.

also do a search for coupon code for additional 10%