Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mechanical Keyboard Recommendation?

So, I've been looking into getting a new keyboard to with my new PC build, and I'm considering mechanical. After looking into it a bit, I've decided I'd probably like one with Blue Cherry MX switches. Surprisingly enough, the Razer mechanical keyboard not only uses blue cherry mx switches, but is ~10-20 dollars cheaper than the competition (Razer being cheaper than comparable products? NO WAY.) This leads me to wonder if there are factors contributing to the quality of mechanical keyboards other than the type of switch.

So...any further education on mech. keyboards, or possibly a few recommendations? Thanks!

Razer products are not known as long lasting, so keep that in mind. They usually break/stop working sooner than expected. Even tho my almost 2 year old Razer Naga is still going strong. Corsair K90 is a solid mechanical keyboard with decent build quality.
    Playing since 2007.

10+ Year Old Account
    Filco Majestouch 2 <3

Oh, I should also add that the product or website needs to be able to be shipped to an APO address in Germany >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    You're in luck, i ordered mine of a german site aswell.
    http://www.getdigital.de/products/Fi...Profi_Tastatur
    Note; they are quite expensive but worth every penny. Anyway, you can select the keys you want, and if you want a numpad version or one without numpad keys (tenkeyless). And you can select the keyboard layout. Google it if you're unsure what you use now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serival View Post
    Oh, I should also add that the product or website needs to be able to be shipped to an APO address in Germany >.>
    APO adress is that like a PO box?

Deleted
    Razer is a no go...
    K90 is a no go (own one myself)....Had to replace one within a week, It looks and feels nice that's about it
    Logitech G710+ is pretty much a beast going by reviews etc (though expensive)

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    Razer products are not known as long lasting, so keep that in mind. They usually break/stop working sooner than expected. Even tho my almost 2 year old Razer Naga is still going strong. Corsair K90 is a solid mechanical keyboard with decent build quality.
    I have had my razer Keyboard for 3 plus years and have had stuff spilled on it and it still ticks. Have had the Razer Naga for 2 plus years and about to replace it with another I just wear it out more then anything.

Yeah, ~200 USD for a keyboard is a little crazy. I'm not looking to spend more than 120ish, I'd be willing to go a tad higher for superior quality.

APO addresses are military PO box addresses. It's essentially an address that looks like it's in the states, but it's in Germany. Big companies (newegg, amazon, etc) ship to them, but smaller companies sometimes don't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    You're in luck, i ordered mine of a german site aswell.
    http://www.getdigital.de/products/Fi...Profi_Tastatur
    Note; they are quite expensive but worth every penny. Anyway, you can select the keys you want, and if you want a numpad version or one without numpad keys (tenkeyless). And you can select the keyboard layout. Google it if you're unsure what you use now.
    I got my DasKeyboard from this site. Was/is the only one offering a german layout for the silent version with MX Brown switches.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Deleted
    http://www.pckeyboard.com/

Best mechanical keyboards in the world.

Look around and see what model you want, then take configure keyboard tool, choose the language, the model, the cable type and what type of switches you would like.

Recommend Ultra Classic with PS/2 and BS (Buckling spring) switches.

QT (Quiet touch) are also availble if you dislike the distinct mechanical sound. Never go for USB tho. Usb keyboards are shit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Razer is a no go...
    K90 is a no go (own one myself)....Had to replace one within a week, It looks and feels nice that's about it
    Logitech G710+ is pretty much a beast going by reviews etc (though expensive)
    K90 is a big fat yes. You just had a bad one.

Mine is still working fine after all those...months.

10+ Year Old Account
    unless you're playing with earplugs/headset on i wouldnt recomend mechanical keyboard tho , its like playing on an old typewrighter, noise is unberable

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    unless you're playing with earplugs/headset on i wouldnt recomend mechanical keyboard tho , its like playing on an old typewrighter, noise is unberable
    Not a big deal. It really isn't that noisy and 'unbearable' as most people say. It types way better than a membrane keyboard imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    Then get brown or black switches instead of red or blue. Much quieter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    K90 is a big fat yes. You just had a bad one.

Not just me check the corsair forums

Don't get me wrong I love the thing, it feels nice and looks nice but having a bad one from the beginning has put me right off you would of done the same. And the number of people screaming about K90 problems on the corsair forums is proof that this keyboard (hate to say it) sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either go all the way for quality: Filco Majestouch 2
    Or get something you can replace in a few years. Dont go middleground. You'll spend more and they always cut some corners.

Deleted

Don't get me wrong I love the thing, it feels nice and looks nice but having a bad one from the beginning has put me right off you would of done the same. And the number of people screaming about K90 problems on the corsair forums is proof that this keyboard (hate to say it) sucks.
    What if I told you..... that all those people on the forums had a bad apple.... :P
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-12-09 at 09:18 PM.

No, that argument is terrible. Just because you got a dud, does not mean that the replacement is a dud. I can't stand when people swear off a brand or certain model within a brand because they had a problem with the first one that got handled by an awesome warranty. I am sorry that you had a bad experience with the first one you tried, but if it got replaced by them and the new one works(and it seems that you really like it) how can you steer someone away from such a good product?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoness View Post
    No, that argument is terrible. Just because you got a dud, does not mean that the replacement is a dud. I can't stand when people swear off a brand or certain model within a brand because they had a problem with the first one that got handled by an awesome warranty. I am sorry that you had a bad experience with the first one you tried, but if it got replaced by them and the new one works(and it seems that you really like it) how can you steer someone away from such a good product?
    Because at a certain point there is a pattern. And one can argue the products are just genuinly bad. For example like the fans on the MSI TwinFrozr cards breaking down very fast.