Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Minimum watts for new power supply, suggestions?

Ok, going to take the plunge and upgrade my wifes desktop in desperate need of a new power supply.

Here are my questions for you guys.

1) What is, in your opinions the minimum to shoot for when it comes to wattage? What would be a good value that will last a while. 500w supplies are pretty cheap but most new video cards require 500w. I want a wattage amount that will be good for maybe 2 more generations of video cards but can't break the bank.

2) Ease of install. What is a good brand that someone like me who has never installed a new power supply can purchance and have a easy enough time to put it in. I have been reading up on the subject online and it does not look impossible but is there any brand that takes no technical knowledge out of the box?

Thanks guys, I come to you all all the time with questions and all the time you guys know your stuff better than most.

1) Honestly, go for either 600 or 700. It's really dependant on when and if you plan on upgrading other parts of computer than just video card. I have a 600W one that lasted me for a few generations of computers, but with next upgrade I plan on swapping it to 750. Silver Power, Thermaltake, OCZ, Corsair - all good makes. Some are cheaper some are more expensive. PSU is something you should NOT squeeze a penny on - you want a reliable one. It's what your system depends on. A crappy one might be cheap but also blow your motherboard when voltage hiccups a little.

2) None of them require more or less technical expertise. Some are more modular and you can remove cords you don't need. Only thing that comes down to is your motherboard manual telling you where to put which connector. Rest is really straightforward.

Depends on what components that you are going to use/are using. This test is roughly 6 months old but its accurate. The graph is in swedish but you should be able to understand it. Red is max load and yellow is idle.

This is their specs:

cpu: Intel Core i7 3960X @ 4,0 GHz
    Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance, 1 600 MHz, 9-9-8-24
    GPU: (that is included in the graph)
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition
    AMD Radeon HD 7970
    AMD Radeon HD 7950
    AMD Radeon HD 7870
    AMD Radeon HD 6990
    AMD Radeon HD 6970
    AMD Radeon HD 5870
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 690
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 680
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 670
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 590
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 580
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 570
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 480
    HDD Crucial M4 256 GB
    PSU Antec High Current Pro 1 200 W
    OS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Seasonic is currently the standard for quality and performance when it comes to power supplies. Most of the popular units that people rave about are usually just rebranded Seasonic platforms. That being said, there are plenty of solid rebranded units from other manufacturers as well, such as Super Flower, CWT, Delta, FSP, HEC, Sirtec, Sirfa, and the list goes on. You really just have to research the unit your considering purchasing. Just remember that quality always trumps quantity, that is, a quality 450w unit is going to be a much better choice than some mediocre unit with a 650w label.

Ease of install is really going to come down to whether you choose a unit with modular, semi-modular, or fixed cables, as already mentioned. Rail count can also be an issue, and I would recommend choosing a single rail unit. Of course, you also need to make sure that the one you've selected has the appropriate connectors and cable length for your system, but most current ATX power supplies are fairly standard when it comes to mounting it in your system. Some of the more extreme wattage units require a lot more space, but that's not really relevant here.

If you give us a list your wife's system specs post upgrade, as well as your budget for the new PSU, I'm sure we can recommend a solid purchase for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    Seasonic is currently the standard for quality and performance when it comes to power supplies. Most of the popular units that people rave about are usually just rebranded Seasonic platforms. That being said, there are plenty of solid rebranded units from other manufacturers as well, such as Super Flower, CWT, Delta, FSP, HEC, Sirtec, Sirfa, and the list goes on. You really just have to research the unit your considering purchasing. Just remember that quality always trumps quantity, that is, a quality 450w unit is going to be a much better choice than some mediocre unit with a 650w label.

Ease of install is really going to come down to whether you choose a unit with modular, semi-modular, or fixed cables, as already mentioned. Rail count can also be an issue, and I would recommend choosing a single rail unit. Of course, you also need to make sure that the one you've selected has the appropriate connectors and cable length for your system, but most current ATX power supplies are fairly standard when it comes to mounting it in your system. Some of the more extreme wattage units require a lot more space, but that's not really relevant here.

If you give us a list your wife's system specs post upgrade, as well as your budget for the new PSU, I'm sure we can recommend a solid purchase for you.
    Ok, wife has a Asus CM1740.

It has a AMD A8-3800 APU with onboard Radeon graphics 2.40 GHz.

I believe the Radeon was in the 6000 range but the system properties does not say which chipset the graphics were. I do know the graphics were fantastic until the onboard took a crap. I replaced it with a Nvidia GT 520 which is good, but not great.

The stock power supply is a 350w. Honestly, I think it was not enough for the onboard because I always had flicker issues and black outs onscreen. I went to a lesser card and have not had any issues since.

Ultimately, I would like to get a nice PSU bump strictly for gaming, meaning upgrading video cards. All the other components in the desk top are rock solid, the video is the weakest link.

Price wise, I'm willing to go 150 for power and 200 for video and thats it for a couple years in a perfect world, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by The Handsome Stranger View Post
    Ok, wife has a Asus CM1740.

It has a AMD A8-3800 APU with onboard Radeon graphics 2.40 GHz.

I believe the Radeon was in the 6000 range but the system properties does not say which chipset the graphics were. I do know the graphics were fantastic until the onboard took a crap. I replaced it with a Nvidia GT 520 which is good, but not great.

The stock power supply is a 350w. Honestly, I think it was not enough for the onboard because I always had flicker issues and black outs onscreen. I went to a lesser card and have not had any issues since.

Ultimately, I would like to get a nice PSU bump strictly for gaming, meaning upgrading video cards. All the other components in the desk top are rock solid, the video is the weakest link.

Price wise, I'm willing to go 150 for power and 200 for video and thats it for a couple years in a perfect world, if possible.
    I think those issues was from bad video drivers. 350W should be able to handle onboard graphic. Looking at the computerbuild of the month on the frontpage you can see a AMD 7850 for $205 and a XFX powersuply for $66. That should be good and last a few years unless your want max settings.
    Links:
    GPU
    PSU

Quote Originally Posted by blupparen View Post
    I think those issues was from bad video drivers. 350W should be able to handle onboard graphic. Looking at the computerbuild of the month on the frontpage you can see a AMD 7850 for $205 and a XFX powersuply for $66. That should be good and last a few years unless your want max settings.
    Links:
    GPU
    PSU
    Bad video drivers?

So if I take out the 520 and update the onboard, there is a chance everything could work the way it used to?

Also, looking at the video card this person recommended, it would be perfect.

Now instead of the PSU, what about this PSU instead matched with the same video card:

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-560W-...words=Seasonic

Everywhere I look, Seasonic is coming up as the standard in quality, and nothing beats a good quality product.
    Last edited by The Handsome Stranger; 2012-12-10 at 10:14 PM.

I'd go with Corsair 650w, which I believe is also one of the rebrands of SeaSonic. This will save you a fair bit of money. You can go with 750w if you want, but I believe that'd be overkill for what the current generation of video cards are demanding. As far as a GPU goes, go with a 7870, or you could pick up a used 570 if you want for around $200 and still have some change left over.
    Last edited by Shiromar; 2012-12-10 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiromar View Post
    I'd go with Corsair 650w, which I believe is also one of the rebrands of SeaSonic. This will save you a fair bit of money. You can go with 750w if you want, but I believe that'd be overkill for what the current generation of video cards are demanding. As far as a GPU goes, go with a 7870, or you could pick up a used 570 if you want for around $200 and still have some change left over.
    A 7870 draw 288W including cpu, motherboard etc. You don't really need more than 500W unless you want to get another card later. That doesnt mean he should use his old 350W psu. You want some margin and it could be a low quality one. The 650W you linked is not bad but he could save $20 and not notice any difference.

I wouldn't recommend a 570 because its overpriced. a 7870 is faster and doesn't require as much power as a 570

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rk,3148-6.html

Quote Originally Posted by blupparen View Post
    A 7870 draw 288W including cpu, motherboard etc. You don't really need more than 500W unless you want to get another card later. That doesnt mean he should use his old 350W psu. You want some margin and it could be a low quality one. The 650W you linked is not bad but he could save $20 and not notice any difference.

I wouldn't recommend a 570 because its overpriced. a 7870 is faster and doesn't require as much power as a 570

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rk,3148-6.html
    A used 570 could be had for as low as $150, saving him almost $100 on the GPU for something that's not too far behind and will easily run anything at 1080p.

Just for clarity, the A8-3800 Llano APU actually has the HD 6550D GPU integrated into the CPU chip. There is no GPU on the motherboard per say. The flickering and black screen issues were symptoms of earlier drivers and I believe were fixed somewhere around version 11.6b. I suspect that was your problem to begin with. I would uninstall the nvidia drivers, pull the GT 520, and update to the lasted 12.10 catalyst drivers. The 6550D on your APU is much better than a GT 520.

If that works out for you, but your still set on upgrading the PSU and GPU, try these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151096
    ^ its overkill on the wattage, and you could go with the 520w version, but because this one has free shipping, it's about the same price , making it the better choice IMO. It has 2 rails, and I know I recommended getting a single rail unit, but I don't foresee that being an issue for you.

Something like one of these for a video card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202004
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125451
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121651

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=
    ^ Zotac 570 at $170 after $30MIR btw.
    Last edited by Dizey; 2012-12-11 at 01:14 AM.

I wouldn't recommend buying any of the 'mainstream' to 'high-end' (600W or more) PSUs listed in this thread. They're pretty expensive ($70+) and are over what you need, especially since it seems like you're on a budget.

Here's what I'd use to determine how much wattage you need PSU Calc then select a sufficient PSU from the recommended PSU list.

Without any overclocking (2 RAM, 1 HDD, 1 SSD, 1 Optical, 4 Fans) you're going to be looking at 325W for an A8 + 7870. (375W for 7950). Overclocking would bump you up about 100W.

Assuming your total budget for these two parts is $350, I'd go with one of the following:

CX 430 v2 $25 after $20 MIR + AMD 7850 $170 to $190 or AMD 7870 $210 to $250 or Nvidia 660 $180-$220

XFX Core 550W $60 + AMD 7950 $270 to $330 or Nvidia 660 Ti $270 to $300.

Here's the performance hierarchy for the above recommended cards - AMD 7850 < AMD 7870 = Nvidia 660 < AMD 7950 = Nvidia 660 Ti

Here's the manufacturer hierarchy - ASUS = MSI = Gigabyte = EVGA > Sapphire = XFX = Zotac > HIS. I'd shoot for Sapphire/XFX/Zotac. I have restricted the PCPartpicker lists to these manufacturers.

For the 7850, I'd shoot for the 2GB version if its at least $30 cheaper than 7870 (equivalently ranked manufacturers).
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-12-11 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    I wouldn't recommend buying any of the 'mainstream' to 'high-end' (600W or more) PSUs listed in this thread. They're pretty expensive ($70+) and are over what you need, especially since it seems like you're on a budget.

Here's what I'd use to determine how much wattage you need PSU Calc then select a sufficient PSU from the recommended PSU list.

Without any overclocking (2 RAM, 1 HDD, 1 SSD, 1 Optical, 4 Fans) you're going to be looking at 325W for an A8 + 7870. (375W for 7950). Overclocking would bump you up about 100W.

Assuming your total budget for these two parts is $350, I'd go with one of the following:

CX 430 v2 $25 after $20 MIR + AMD 7850 $170 to $190 or AMD 7870 $210 to $250 or Nvidia 660 $180-$220

XFX Core 550W $60 + AMD 7950 $270 to $330 or Nvidia 660 Ti $270 to $300.

Here's the performance hierarchy for the above recommended cards - AMD 7850 < AMD 7870 = Nvidia 660 < AMD 7950 = Nvidia 660 Ti

Here's the manufacturer hierarchy - ASUS = MSI = Gigabyte = EVGA > Sapphire = XFX = Zotac > HIS. I'd shoot for Sapphire/XFX/Zotac. I have restricted the PCPartpicker lists to these manufacturers.

For the 7850, I'd shoot for the 2GB version if its at least $30 cheaper than 7870 (equivalently ranked manufacturers).
    You may want to re look at your performance hierarchy...rofl. Please explain how the 7970 tops the 680 as the worlds fastest GPU, yet the 7950 which is legit a 7970 underclocked and some shaders locked is = to a 660 Ti. 7950 is just a bit behind a 670, not being humped by a 660 Ti.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why not a GTX 660 instead of 7870? Only 200$ and requires a minium of a 600w psu.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500270

Quote Originally Posted by ebah View Post
    Why not a GTX 660 instead of 7870? Only 200$ and requires a minium of a 600w psu.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500270
    An i5 3570K + GTX 660 build will run easily on a 300W PSU, if you can find a decent 300W PSU (you won't).

The "recommendation" for power supply wattage take into account that many people go and buy the cheapest power supply with the highest wattage rating, believing that more power = better. One of those cheap 25 dollar 600W power supplies will deliver max 220W on the 12V rail, the other 380W coming on the 3.3V and 5V rails (where is it completely wasted, unless you are running 50 HDDs).

Something like a Seasonic M12II 520 (or its OEM derivatives) will run any single-card configuration other than a dual-GPU (in which case why the fuck are you getting a 60 dollar PSU for a 1000 dollar graphics card?)

New parts have one thing in common: They use less and less power. 6 years ago, a top system with 2 video cards and a top line CPU would need 700W. Today, that is not the case and In 3 years it will be even less the case. I don't think a 350W is enough though, I think you should always have something to go on. Everything from 500-650 should cover most systems.

The most important thing is to buy a quality PSU. Good quality PSU's are the likes of Seasonics, Corsair HX/TX/AX. If you are interested in good cable management get them as modular as possible. I use an AX1200 from corsair and it is 100% modular and the cable managemet is superb and the black cables really go well with the Maximus motherboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    You may want to re look at your performance hierarchy...rofl. Please explain how the 7970 tops the 680 as the worlds fastest GPU, yet the 7950 which is legit a 7970 underclocked and some shaders locked is = to a 660 Ti. 7950 is just a bit behind a 670, not being humped by a 660 Ti.

You might want to rethink your AMD bias. Rofl. Nvidia cards got a boost with 310.70 which isn't recorded in the above benchmark. Rofl.

7970 12.11 < 680 Rofl
    7970 >>> 7950 Rofl
    670 >> 7950 Rofl
    7950 ~ 660 Ti Rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    I use an AX1200 from corsair and it is 100% modular and the cable managemet is superb and the black cables really go well with the Maximus motherboards.
    Not relevant because thats not anywhere near the OP's price range.

The XFX CE Pro550W is a good find, and only $46 with promo and rebate atm. It's the same rebranded Seasonic S12II platform, with plenty of wattage, and then some.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

The CX430w V2 is a good choice as well. It's a solid Channel Well Tech(CWT) unit, and you can't really beat that $25.99 after rebate price they have going right now.

So question the first chard shows sli 670's running at around 501 watts under load...so would my 600w bronze be enough for that or nah?
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

You would be cutting it rather fine. If you get rid of that CPU overclock, possibly. Your CPU wants about 70W under load at stock speeds, add another 40 or 50 for the chipset, USB devices, fans and storage drives.