/emote @ whoever you target

you have to type in the @

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    /emote @ whoever you target

you have to type in the @
    That's a lot of work...

(i.e. what a terrible idea)

A lot of work? Really?

I mean I agree that it seems a bit silly to have to put it in but a lot of work?

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    A lot of work? Really?

I mean I agree that it seems a bit silly to have to put it in but a lot of work?
    Haha that was me being silly. It's a catch phrase of mine for small tasks.

But ... regardless, that is pretty basic stuff for an MMO. A lot of that little stuff that ANet is just WAY off on makes me shake my head and wonder who's calling the shots over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    not gonna lie, not surprised rit and derv didn't make it in GW2 because they're -probably- waiting for the cantha and elona expansions to release them.
    They did say that they did a last minute cut of 2 proffesions. Was orginally 18? then 13 then 10 and then finally cut to 8.

My money is on ritualist and dev as the other 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    They did say that they did a last minute cut of 2 proffesions. Was orginally 18? then 13 then 10 and then finally cut to 8.

My money is on ritualist and dev as the other 2.
    Oh absolutely, those 2 were by far of the most played, hell half the people i saw were either a ritualist or a dervish, i was always super excited when i saw someone who was neither of those.

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 03:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    See Fencers post above -- but I think a fair amount of blame should be placed on both parties. If you design a game where team-play is inconsequential and communication is unnecessary, then you can't fault the community for not playing as a team or communicating. In their attempt to remove that "competitive" edge, Anet has landed too far on the other extreme (though I admit it'd be a hard balance to strike). I have seen people run by while I am fighting, hit the mobs once for credit and then run off and onward, without a word. Granted, leveling in many other MMOs isn't exactly like an office potluck party ... but I feel like in both EQ and WoW (my major MMO experiences, except Horizons, which was renamed and really pushed the idea of being a playable dragon, which was awful) both had more social interaction other than guild chat. Anecdotal, sure, but it's all on which I can base my HARSH JUDGEMENTS

I love this by the way. So true. Also, perhaps apropos of nothing, is it just me or is weird that emotes aren't AT somebody? Or am I doing it wrong. When I target someone and /cheer or /wave, it doesn't say "waves AT so-and-so" ... it just says I wave.
    I -think- it says waves -at- so and so, but you know, i haven't really checked that...

And idk, i feel like i am more "in tune" with my group in GW2 than in WoW or other groups, in WoW the best way i could put it was simply i was keeping my stupid dps puppets alive long enough so i can loot the monster, i had absolutely no connection to them, period. They were just some random person i didn't even know, didn't care about that was just helping me see the content and keep the big bad boss angry at them and not be (because the logic of "Kill the guy healing" was so hard for a lot of npcs in WoW it was stupid...).

However, in GW2 i actually -want- to keep most of my group up and active do my role to take hits for them and make sure to keep them standing, which is certainly because they returned the whole hybridism to the games (instead of hard Trinity like WoW) where i can actually do more than one stupid role. This may also just be a size thing, when i'm fighting along one or two other people i tend to grow more attached to them (mostly because i actually will talk to them) where as in WoW and other games, most of the content is large groups.

Not only that, but i don't talk as much in GW2 as i play because, frankly, i can't, in wow the entire play style was, click ally, click heal, type while heal is casting, move if needed, if not click ally, click heal, type while casting rinse and repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

And idk, i feel like i am more "in tune" with my group in GW2 than in WoW or other groups, in WoW the best way i could put it was simply i was keeping my stupid dps puppets alive long enough so i can loot the monster, i had absolutely no connection to them, period. They were just some random person i didn't even know, didn't care about that was just helping me see the content and keep the big bad boss angry at them
    I don't know how this is any different in Guild Wars 2 honestly.

In GW2 it's even more anonymous. Those people aren't in my guild. I can't see their names. Their presence is neither a hindrance or boon.

I auto attack for the majority of the time. Using 1 or 2 situational abilities per encounter.

The "loot monster" is just a monster. That mob drops nothing worth concerning myself with. I often times just want to tag a few shots to count toward completion and keep moving. Karma is of no real value to me. Gold is of no real use other than travel cost. Fighting the creature isn't even an involved process. Kite, KB, kite. There is almost zero strategy involved in most encounters.

I don't like World of Warcraft very much and haven't played since Burning Crusade. Though I don't see a single thing enforced by the gameplay in GW2 that makes it more involved by contrast.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-10 at 11:30 PM.

This is due to their attempt at making the game more social ... and in fact making it less social. Sure you it's ALWAYS cooperative, but in the same turn it requires zero communication. People just show up, spam on the same mobs, maybe rez (maybe say thank you or you're welcome) and then disperse. Maybe not ANet's fault ... maybe it is.
    I think the lack of community and overall lifelessness of GW2 has many causes, but I think you hit on a good point. Their supposed attempt at improving community by eliminating open world PVP and competition in general has made it a big "who cares about anybody else." For instance when there are competing factions, especially PVP, you have a natural cause for driving communities together. I HATED the horde in WoW and hence was closer to those in Alliance. I HATED the Guardians in Rift and hence was closer to those in the Defiants. I hated when I was beaten, especially "unfairly", and it naturally pushed me to team up to survive. I would also help others, go out of my way, simply because they were getting picked on or "ganked" by the faction I HATED. There was a common bond, annoyance at the other faction.

This competition was a big part of driving the community together. That is why human societies formed in the first place, for survival, but in GW2 it is so pointless so why bother. Forming social communities in GW2 serves no purpose. Anet's entire premise was faulty and if they looked at the history of the human race they should have known better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Reminds me of a post on ArenaJunkies where a player - an adamant supporter of the game - was lamenting the lack of any real teamplay. You can't even target friendly players with much of anything. And it's not just "healing", you can't Leap of Faith a group member that's in a sticky spot, can't Blessing of Protection the mage that's getting beat down, Intervene a big attack for a group member, etc.

Actually I'll just quote him:

-------------

You know, it's like I said in another post to you...sometimes the blind support of one game over another just shines through like crazy. I'm going to claim that WoW has amazing group-play either, but to suggest that GW2 somehow has this "connection" to your groups that other games don't is just flat out obvious game-favoritism. I can't think of any better way to put it.
    I think the main thing behind it, well now that i've thought on it more, has to be because i'm not "locked into" one roll, because every game i play where i have "One Job" just bores me and i quickly go into the same mindset as when i played WoW, where as in GW2 there's no roles so instead of standing in the back and clicking spells to make sure the green bars don't disappear i actually do other stuff, like intercept shots, burst mobs, etc.

@Fencers Oh my bad, i meant to say POST lich king, in BC and Vanilla i was a hybrid in wow and thus was in the same role i am in GW2 (IE do what is needed atm) and found that much more enjoyable then "Make sure your meat shiel- er i mean allies don't die"
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

@Fencers Oh my bad, i meant to say POST lich king, in BC and Vanilla i was a hybrid in wow and thus was in the same role i am in GW2 and found that much more enjoyable then "Make sure your meat shiel- er i mean allies don't die"
    Well, even so if your post was directed at "post-Lich King" WoW [which I did play for a month or so in Cata due to free 30 days]- there still isn't much in the gameplay of GW2 that is anymore team orientated than World of Warcraft. It's actually less so than World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 1.

Your preference for playing a "jack-of-all-trades" is certainly valid as to why GW2 suits you personally more than Warcraft's singular roles. Very reasonable and I also greatly dislike the World of Warcraft class design. So, brofist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, even so if your post was directed at "post-Lich King" WoW [which I did play for a month or so in Cata due to free 30 days]- there still isn't much in the gameplay of GW2 that is anymore team orientated than World of Warcraft. It's actually less so than World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 1.

Your preference for playing a "jack-of-all-trades" is certainly valid as to why GW2 suits you personally more than Warcraft's singular roles. Very reasonable and I also greatly dislike the World of Warcraft class design. So, brofist.
    *brofists* i -do- miss my Archon from Rift Though.... god that was awesome lol.. that and Chloromancer

EDIT: Idk why i feel more attached to my group in GW2 than i did in WoW, then again i felt more attached to my pugs in Rift and GW1 more than i did in wow, only game i -didn't- feel that way was SWTOR... so yeah... confused i am..
    Last edited by Durzlla; 2012-12-11 at 12:21 AM.

*brofists* i -do- miss my Archon from Rift Though.... god that was awesome lol.. that and Chloromancer

EDIT: Idk why i feel more attached to my group in GW2 than i did in WoW, then again i felt more attached to my pugs in Rift and GW1 more than i did in wow, only game i -didn't- feel that way was SWTOR... so yeah... confused i am..
    They have melee mages that can shapeshift in Rift now. They are sorta the best tanks in the game and ungodly DPS. >.>

But now that you bring it up, I am not sure if GW2 is really all that "hybrid friendly" so to speak. It seemed to me that everyone was basically a DPS w/ some utility. And we all did the same job regardless.

To a degree, every class was remarkably similar too. Every one had a knockback, a rapid fire attack, an engage/disengage, etc. Playing a Rifle Warrior wasn't really all that special from a Longbow Ranger, for example.

I don't like class singularity but I also dislike homogeny in classes. Ideally, I want to build for whatever combination I desire. And have that be effective.

My favorite games are things like Radiant Arcana, Secret World, Guild Wars 1 and Path of Exile. Games where if I want to play a healer in plate mail that uses a bow and tanks from range, that is not only possible but can work.

I guess, I like having a role. But enjoy deciding the method of how I do that role freely w/o many restrictions. Or for example, Elder Scrolls. That system in TES is super appealing to me. I can use an axe in one hand, lightning in the other, conjure a minion, shapeshift, go invisible and do it in plate mail or a evening gown.

That's basically my ideal game; Elder Scrolls but with co-op.

In GW2 it was just like... "Well, guess I fire my bow and buff random people once every 2 minutes for 10 seconds." It's really uninteresting partly because there is no need for me to be there. No one really needs my Banner of Whateverthefuck to take down the veteran jotun or frost troll. Just totally inconsequential.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-11 at 12:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You brought a tear to my eye, well not really. The diversity of characters is something I love. Having a cleric which is able to heal (single target, aoe, support) tank and DPS brings great joy to me. Sorry to derail but I like lots of choices in a game with out having to roll a thousand alts I rather just pimp out a main. Mages now have the ability to melee as well, battlemage ftw. Sorry don't beat me up for go off topic Fencers & company.

Well, to be fair it's tough to claim "Jack of all trades" in GW2 either because there's really only one role to play. It's more of a "Jack of one trade and some change".
    Dude, I just was thinking/trying to put in to words this exactly. As you can see in the long winded post above.

But yea, that's it basically. It's not really "jack-of-all-trades". Just DPS w/ options.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Bovinity, that may actually be it, although my hatred for SWTOR really had a lot to do with its total lack of being playable on my computer... God that was awful...

@Fencers, I may just be building a lot differently than you guys but my ranger certainly doesn't play as dps + utility he plays more like a support/tank + dps (literally in that order) like in fractals I normally just spin to win in Melee range as my ranger applying boons via pet and spirits an healing spring and then control with my weapons with some minuscule damage sprinkled on top.

My Mesmer on the other hand... He's built exactly as you described except maybe an even split on boons and conditions (mains a staff), he really reminds me of my archon warlock dominator (not in that order) that I had, lots of group support and control but also lots of damage.

I feel like a happy median could have been reached. If weapon swaps made more of a difference besides ranged dps + utilities to melee dps + utilities. Wouldn't it be cool to change from DPS to a healer mid fight? Need a tank swap because a debuff? That elemtalist can switch to a earth, throw up some earth armor and stop DPSing to tank and the tank guardian can swap to healer and the healer can go DPS. There can still be Roles -- tank, support, heals, damage ... but these are tied to weapons (or better yet tied to nothing and just have "specs" that one can swap in and out of like weapons). Seems like team play could be really neat with some interesting encounters.

Right now I am just keeping an ear and an eye on Elder Scrolls online.

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 06:35 PM ----------

Oh ... I also never minded shouting "Healer LFG" in WoW before stupid dungeon finder - which I hate. I met A LOT of friends that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like a happy median could have been reached. If weapon swaps made more of a difference besides ranged dps + utilities to melee dps + utilities. Wouldn't it be cool to change from DPS to a healer mid fight? Need a tank swap because a debuff? That elemtalist can switch to a earth, throw up some earth armor and stop DPSing to tank and the tank guardian can swap to healer and the healer can go DPS. There can still be Roles -- tank, support, heals, damage ... but these are tied to weapons (or better yet tied to nothing and just have "specs" that one can swap in and out of like weapons). Seems like team play could be really neat with some interesting encounters.

Right now I am just keeping an ear and an eye on Elder Scrolls online.
    I'm not really sure how that'd work tbh, -could- be interesting, but if they did that then you'd likely still need to have a "tank" and "healer" which would butcher group finding speeds which is something i do not miss from any other game i've played PERIOD (other then SWG, but i played a medic that was also capable of killing the hell out of people because i had a pet lol).

As for Elder Scrolls online, it seems cool, but it seems like only mages will be able to do the cool stuff... so i'm going to wait and see before i even think of giving it a shot.

I'm not really sure how that'd work tbh, -could- be interesting, but if they did that then you'd likely still need to have a "tank" and "healer" which would butcher group finding speeds which is something i do not miss from any other game i've played PERIOD (other then SWG, but i played a medic that was also capable of killing the hell out of people because i had a pet lol).

As for Elder Scrolls online, it seems cool, but it seems like only mages will be able to do the cool stuff... so i'm going to wait and see before i even think of giving it a shot.
    Ha yeah ... admittedly I am just free-style game designing up in this joint and not thinking anything through. I just know that I usually swap weapons to fight boredom more than anything else and I feel like I am contributing nothing whatsoever.

I will definitely go into ESO more reserved than I did GW2 ... I really put my heart out there and it got stomped on!

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 06:51 PM ----------

(I am having a blast in Skyrim though -- first ES game I've played. I will tell you that it is much more fun to sneak around things and one-shot snipe them like a badass assassin than it is to run away and kite and dodge lie a bitch for 43 seconds against even the lowliest of mobs)

@Fencers, I may just be building a lot differently than you guys but my ranger certainly doesn't play as dps + utility he plays more like a support/tank + dps (literally in that order) like in fractals I normally just spin to win in Melee range as my ranger applying boons via pet and spirits an healing spring and then control with my weapons with some minuscule damage sprinkled on top.
    Nah. I build my ranger defensive/boon-y too and it just felt inconsequential. I am sure you are just doing damage w/ minor support with your build too. It's just the way the game is setup w/r/t how gameplay functions.

It's something I mentioned off-hand in another thread; there isn't a lot of strategic depth. Not a lot of to consider at a higher level. You go in an encounter, you hit things, toss some buffs and meh. Everyone does it more or less the same. Yipee, we got a little more fire damage on a champion with 8 million health and the same mechanics since level 2.

I understand you are more partial to action/twitch based games than stat and calculation driven one. And I admit to begin to total opposite of that type of player.

For example, I just watched a 9 min youtube video on armor spreadsheet calculations. Was so excited about this I began reposting/emailing it to friends. Not that they care, mind you... okay this is a ramble.

Point I am driving at is that team work and build diversity matter so little in GW2's combat that it's totally not engaging for me. I don't really have to think about the game at all-- it's like all reactionary 8 year old ADD stuff.

Nintendo on a PC.

The Super Mario Bros. jumping "puzzles" aren't helping dispel that impression either.

Wish there was active block as in Tera, Vindictus or Raiderz. I remember the first class videos for GW2 were like Elementalist and Warrior. In the video it looked super epic that the warrior was able to bock a fire attack. At the time I was like... "holy shit active block!!"

Then I played in the closed beta of GW2 used the warrior block for the first time. It was like... living with a lie for years.

I think Raiderz got active combat with tactical considerations and actual mob tactics for groups [& solo] a lot better than GW2.

Heck, I regard Vindictus as better than GW2 in combat feel. And that game is years old at this point.