[PvP] hey there dear mages

Hey there guys,

I would like to ask you something about mages,

What is it that makes this high dmg in deep freeze beside the frostbomb? and how can u interrupt the mage from doing this highly dmg? not gonna say it's overpowered, but how can you counter the mages burst and which way is likely the best way to be annoying over for a mage arena whise?

because when i play, i always pop my trinket asap but im still getting burned, "as monk"

can you guys grand me some great tips how to maybe survie and maybe win a 3v3 with shadow priest and mage, guess im getting one shotted every single game by this setup :-/

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    A wizard never reveals his secrets
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... a mage's worst enemies are silences (and in my opinion fears). Basically any kind of disable that isn't a stun because we can simply Blink away from stuns. Disorients are also mighty annoying for me.

If you get killed in a 1v1, it's quite normal because after you use your trinket there's no way to escape the next Deep Freeze. Also, mages (any spec) have a x2 +50% effect on crit chance against frozen enemies (from Pet Freeze, Deep Freeze, Frost Nova, Ring of Frost and a few more I think). So if a Mage has 20% crit chance, it will be 90% against a frozen target. The damage you take from a mage is otherwise quite low.

As stated, mage dps is mostly burst. Because of the new deep freze duration we have to wait a second to cast deep freeze after frost bomb has been applied. So as soon as you see the debuff pop up on you silence them and it will really screw up their burst rotation. If you can't silence/fear pop CD's to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by keystone View Post
    As stated, mage dps is mostly burst. Because of the new deep freze duration we have to wait a second to cast deep freeze after frost bomb has been applied. So as soon as you see the debuff pop up on you silence them and it will really screw up their burst rotation. If you can't silence/fear pop CD's to stay alive.
    What if we don't have silence or instant fear?

10+ Year Old Account
    Then disorient or disarm (spellpower ftw) or stun and then stun again, or burst more, or dispel the mage's buffs or go out of range or go invisible or whatever it's not like you don't have options.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you are a monk use roll or teleport to los. Though this depends on your spec.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a Ret Paladin, any tips on survival for me? I do two's with a BM hunter, we've been starting our matches against any Mage team spread apart, he silences/blanket silences them immediately after they come back out of invisibility. I know I can blind but mages usually keep distance from me, and my buddy can only do so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezinol View Post
    I'm a Ret Paladin, any tips on survival for me? I do two's with a BM hunter, we've been starting our matches against any Mage team spread apart, he silences/blanket silences them immediately after they come back out of invisibility. I know I can blind but mages usually keep distance from me, and my buddy can only do so much.
    los them and cast repent on them constantly.. it'll piss them off so badly.. and its only a 15 second cd.. lasts for 5 seconds in pvp.. have your bm friend kill their healer or whatnot or unleash stampede on the mage after using intimidation.

Dispel!

It may not be effective in your exact situation (as a monk), but dispels are the most annoying thing for a mage to deal with. Purge Alter Time off them. Dispel their frost bombs. Lock frost as often as you can. Keep your eyes open for PoM and Icy Veins and play defensively when they are up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezinol View Post
    As Retribution, atleast you can dispell their imoblization and slow/daze effects all the time ... So they can't freeze you, they can't kite you ...

Mage is really built off burst centered around frost bomb and the water elemental's freeze. As such, this is where you would find our weakness.

Countering a mage is quite easy as a healer.
    1) LOS/ good positioning is a great way to negate lots of mage or other ranged classes damage.
    2) DISPELL FROST BOMB... no frost bomb, no explosive damage or instant frostfire bolt AND uses the frost bomb CD

Note
    Frost bomb has a 6 sec cooldown (lowered by haste). It is possible to dispell at least every other frost bomb. Mages top damage is generally Frost Bomb, Ice
    Lance, Frostfire bolt. If you are consistantly dispelling frost bomb, you are cripling 2/3 of the spells doing all the damage.

3) Grounding Totem frost bombs... no frost bomb, no explosive damage or instant frostfire bolt AND uses the frost bomb CD
    4) Interupt frost bomb casts... no frost bomb, no explosive damage or instant frostfire
    5) Purge/spell steal Fingers of Frost/ Brain Freeze procs
    6) Silence/ cc when mage uses frost orb so they are unable to use the resulting Fingers of frost procs
    7) Dont stand in frost orbs (seems silly, but lots of people do), they proc fingers of frost and do decent damage.

Nerf frostbomb
    Buff sustained (reward mages who actually cast - increase skillcap due to situational awareness of enemy CC/cd's)

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin View Post
    Nerf frostbomb
    Buff sustained (reward mages who actually cast - increase skillcap due to situational awareness of enemy CC/cd's)
    You have to cast frost bomb. Casting 2 seconds every 6 seconds is more casting than most casters cast.

It only crits geared people for 60-80k (20% hp), is highly counterable, and a mage really isn't that much doing damage outside of it.

Does it do a lot of damage? Yes

Do people counter it like I posted above? Generally not.
    Last edited by dementor; 2012-12-11 at 08:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dementor View Post
    [/COLOR]

You have to cast frost bomb. Casting 2 seconds every 6 seconds is more casting than most casters cast.

It only crits geared people for 60-80k (20% hp), is highly counterable, and a mage really isn't that much doing damage outside of it.

Does it do a lot of damage? Yes

Do people counter it like I posted above? Generally not.
    In the particular comp of Hunter-Pally, I would rather say burn the crap out of the mage, forcing an early IB is good, and if he's focused on surviving he won't deal that much dmg.