10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    I think (or at least hope) that Season 2 will bring more character development to Korra and all of the characters really. I wouldn't mind at all if they decided to use Book 2 to set up the villain and work on some real character development to create suspense for Book 3.
    Why don't they hire this guy, would put a JonTron link for a quote saying, "This is why I hired this man..." because what you just said would be awesome. Like they have an underlying villain who isn't the big person, you need that and then they just over time let us see how Korra and Co. develop. It's fucking genius.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Why don't they hire this guy, would put a JonTron link for a quote saying, "This is why I hired this man..." because what you just said would be awesome. Like they have an underlying villain who isn't the big person, you need that and then they just over time let us see how Korra and Co. develop. It's fucking genius.
    haha thanks for the compliment. I really hope that the writers decide to go in that direction, but I haven't lost faith in them yet. I'm still confident that Book 2 will be great. Book 1 was pretty great too, but it's hard to compete with TLA which in my opinion was a nearly flawless masterpiece.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The first season of The Last Airbender didn't have huge amounts of character development either. There was some, but most of it didn't happen until seasons two and three.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just remember, TLoK was only written as a one season thing.

And as for the whole airbending thing, Korra knew the forms for airbending, meaning there was no reason for her not to be able to airbend, it just never clicked. Then there was that episode when she was in the match and realized that airbending isnt about direct confrontation but rather about defence, and redirection, alot like waterbending. Also her personality wasn't inline with an airbenders.
    AND IIRC in TLA there was an episode that stated that bending was a state of mind, not a set of forms, it's why there are several styles of waterbending(swamp tribe), earthbending(Toph), firebending(Iroh, Aang's first firebending teacher)
    Last edited by Ridesdel; 2012-12-11 at 07:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. I remember Toph talking to Aang about that one point when Aang was having trouble with earthbending. He knew the forms, but was trying to come at it like he would air or water, and it wasn't working because earth is about solidity and power rather than formless subtlety like air and water.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    Yeah. I remember Toph talking to Aang about that one point when Aang was having trouble with earthbending. He knew the forms, but was trying to come at it like he would air or water, and it wasn't working because earth is about solidity and power rather than formless subtlety like air and water.
    Good times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    Just remember, TLoK was only written as a one season thing.

And as for the whole airbending thing, Korra knew the forms for airbending, meaning there was no reason for her not to be able to airbend, it just never clicked. Then there was that episode when she was in the match and realized that airbending isnt about direct confrontation but rather about defence, and redirection, alot like waterbending. Also her personality wasn't inline with an airbenders.
    AND IIRC in TLA there was an episode that stated that bending was a state of mind, not a set of forms, it's why there are several styles of waterbending(swamp tribe), earthbending(Toph), firebending(Iroh, Aang's first firebending teacher)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    The key difference is that when it finally "clicked" for Aang, it was due to him completely changing the way he thought and confronting the Sabertooth Moose-lion (who the hell comes up with these??) and Toph. "Enough", he said, "I want my staff back" and he yanked it from her grasp, which was completely not something Aang would've done. And then he re-iterated his lesson at the end of the episode about being unmovable as a rock, someone who doesn't back down and holds their ground...shortly after Appa licked him off his feet (good times!). It all goddamn connected.

Here's what happened with Korra:
    *Amon throws Mako and twists him around a lot*
    Amon (to Mako): ...It's almost a shame to take the bending away from someone so talented.
    *Korra sees Amon about to take Mako's bending*
    Korra: NO!

And then she pulls this out of her (huge) ass:

There was nothing spiritual, or "monk-ish", or the sense of freedom, or "being like the leaf" (in Meelo's words). Just pure frustration and desperation in a hope something would happen.

Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-12-11 at 09:35 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    LoK did have it's issues. On the flip side, Amon was a better villain that Ozai, much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    LoK did have it's issues. On the flip side, Amon was a better villain that Ozai, much better.
    Yeah, I think that TLA was nearly flawless EXCEPT I felt Ozai should have had a bigger influence throughout the story or AT LEAST Book 3. Amon was a pretty genius villain. Probably my favorite character from LoK.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's because we actually saw Amon, whereas Oazi was just a name for most for the series.

I saw a cool analogy once that made Ozai's lack of interesting writing make more sense.

Azula is Darth Vader, Ozai is the Emperor. Through the entire original Star Wars trilogy, Vader is the big baddie that strikes fear into the hearts of the rebels. He's the one going out killing people. Vader is the one people care about--no one dresses up as Emperor Palpetine for halloween. But in the end, Vader's just the Emperor's puppet--the Emperor is the real embodiment of evil. But in terms of depth and development, the Emperor is just a shadowy figure who sits in the backrooms. We don't know his motivations, his goals (beyond total domination), or his history. We ascribe all sympathies and character development to the dynamic Vader while blindly accepting that the Emperor is an entity of pure evil based on word-of-mouth speculation by the characters.

In many ways, just as with Vader, you could actually call Azula the real primary antagonist of the series. While she may just be Ozai's tool, she is also the one that actually interacts with the heroes. Ozai is the invisible hand that only comes to action at the end of the series as a result of Azula's failure to kill the Avatar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    There was nothing spiritual, or "monk-ish", or the sense of freedom, or "being like the leaf" (in Meelo's words). Just pure frustration and desperation in a hope something would happen.
    Wrong, Korra wanted to PROTECT Mako, it was her overwhelming WILL to protect Maco that triggered the airbending, it also was her only avenue left, after her earth, water, and firebending where taken away

Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    Wrong, Korra wanted to PROTECT Mako, it was her overwhelming WILL to protect Maco that triggered the airbending, it also was her only avenue left, after her earth, water, and firebending where taken away
    That's not at odds with what you quoted. Strength of will isn't a paradigm of airbender philosophy, neither is forceful defense. In fact, with their use of Negative Jing, the core of airbending is evasion and retreat. The complete opposite of what Korra did. She did attack in nothing but pure frustration and blind hope.
    Last edited by Tore; 2012-12-12 at 02:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least Ozai had a FUCKING AWESOME fight that lasted nearly 2 episodes for the climax of AtLA.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    At least Ozai had a FUCKING AWESOME fight that lasted nearly 2 episodes for the climax of AtLA.
    I'll give you that. Was a pretty epic fight.

On another note, Grey DeLisle (Azula's voice actor for the uninformed) is going to be voicing the Dark Spirit, who appears to be the antagonist for Book 2.

Remember she had also magically learned air-bending out of sheer frustration and panic, as opposed to inner peace and serenity...it was a bit of a "oh noooo my friends are getting pwned, I better punch and kick the air like a drunk boxer and make wind come out" and lo' was it so. I guess circular Bagua movements (which air bending style was based on) are for pussies, real air benders like Korra use regular firebending kicks and punches.

Also not only did she get her powers back, she gained full control of the avatar state (eyes flash temporarily at will) AND automatically learned energy-bending so all the damage the villains had done could be un-done in no time. Oh and the villains killed themselves.

This all happened in a span of ~10-15 minutes.

It's an ancient story-writing technique known by many writers as "pulling it out of your ass" and pretty much threw water over all of Season 1 for me, although the water was already creeping up when I discovered I was hating Korra (as a character) more and more by each episode for being such a clueless useless angry angsty tool. Yeah it was supposed to be part of her character to be a spontaneous teenager who doesn't think before doing anything and fucks up a LOT, but I still found that as a character she was extremely unlikable. The final episode was the nail in her coffin, she got rewarded for essentially doing nothing. Everything just happens around her.

Something HAS to be wrong when I watched most of Season 1 thinking "PLEASE show me more flashbacks of what happened to the characters I grew to love, enough of this Korra bitch". The black-and-white flashbacks were by far the most entertaining and interesting bits of the show, and what's more is that I think the writers KNEW IT. It's no wonder they used flashbacks so carefully and in moderation, like burying tasty cherries into a massive bland cake so we have to swallow all the crap to get to the good bits.

The humor factor also felt incredibly forced with 80% of the comedic attempts ending with someone looking sarcastic/serious...you know, that look Tenzin has on his face all the time. The light-heated genuinely funny humor from ATLA is completely absent...but I guess that too was part of this show, it was supposed to be void of humor.

Now that all of Season 1's plot lines are nicely tied-up and easily forgotten, I hope Season 2 can show us Korra building up more character and personality.
    atleast her learning air bending made atleast a little sense wheras all the other stuff felt more like "we have other stuff we wanna write about so were gonna get this problem outa the way real quick"

almost as if the writers had a plan and then decided to change it last minute and needed an excuse to be able to make their new ideas work next season.

i havent been keeping up with news for awhile so idk whats going on other then season 2 is being worked on but i remember last year them saying some of the original writers for original series were gonna come on and write some episodes
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    I'll give you that. Was a pretty epic fight.

On another note, Grey DeLisle (Azula's voice actor for the uninformed) is going to be voicing the Dark Spirit, who appears to be the antagonist for Book 2.
    Source? D:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monado View Post
    Source? D:
    I'm pretty sure that information has been out for awhile.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    I'm pretty sure that information has been out for awhile.
    Only that she was going to voice a character. not the main villain of season 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monado View Post
    Only that she was going to voice a character. not the main villain of season 2.
    It's pretty obvious considering she voiced Azula that she would voice a bad character and I'm pretty sure in the past month or so it was confirmed that it would be an antagonistic like character. The person who voiced Asami also voiced moon girl in A:TLA.
    Hey everyone