Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Best healer dps?

I know the title sounds strange but read on. I am just coming back to wow after playing GW2 for a few months and leveling my priest first(currently 86). I dont want to constanly respec and I don't want to give up my disc spec, So while waiting in q I want to farm, quest, explore, ect. I know both disc and holy specs can kill stuff, so what spec is better. I'm leaning to disc right now.
    Last edited by Wonderbred; 2012-12-13 at 06:37 PM.

Monk, hands down.

Please post constructively.
    Last edited by Arlee; 2012-12-11 at 03:48 PM.

Disc is very strong healer dps. I read people say that holy is good dps because of the +50% bonus from their chakra, but I'm getting much higher DPS when specced disc for some reason, and I still do tons of healing while doing that DPS (while holy has to stop dpsing to heal). Disc is also more mobile while dpsing, with penance glyphed to cast on the move.

[edit] also did 65k dps on Garalon in LFR this week, in my crappy ilvl 468 healer gear (had a couple of items in mah inventory for the 470), while preforming 80k hps, since I just ran around attacking the legs. Had an easy time doing so because of the mobility granted by instant holy fire, penance on the move, and speed boost from PW:S. I know LFR doesn't count for much, but it was still fun (and you gotta take the fun you can get in LFR, eh?)
    Last edited by Simulacrum; 2012-12-11 at 02:03 PM.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    I've been doing dailys etc as Disc (got double healing spec) and it's fine really. Obviously you won't do as much dps as a pure dps spec but it's still not bad, especially with mindbender as a 1 minute burst cooldown.
    Only complaints i have really is that our AoE against 3-4 targets is weak, but mind sear starts to get effective with more targets than that. I also miss an interrupt against certain mobs (panda and fish-guy rares).

In 5mans and LFR you can get by by mostly dpsing as disc, making it sort of viable to gear around that (crit/haste instead of spirit/mastery). That said, it's probably not a good idea if you have any higher ambitions :P

My main spec is shadow and I refuse to heal. I wanted the challenge of DPSing viably as a healer spec. IMO, I found holy to dps better especially in the DPS chakra. Shocked many guildies and pugs. I even used holyDPS in MSV for fights on farm. It's better with mana too with the 90% reduction. However, disc's atonement healing is definitely attractive. It's crazy how fast valor farming is for heroics when you queue as a healer and just DPS, let atonement and your lvl90 talent do all the work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heap View Post
    In 5mans and LFR you can get by by mostly dpsing as disc, making it sort of viable to gear around that (crit/haste instead of spirit/mastery). That said, it's probably not a good idea if you have any higher ambitions :P
    I never wanted to "dps" in 5mans and lfr, I am a healer. Just when I am farming or leveling I don't want to have to respec. I think I'll stick with disc, I can usually 1v1 most classes as disc(or at least hold out long enough for them to lose interest) and on a horde dominated server, questing as alli can be.... interesting.
    Last edited by Wonderbred; 2012-12-11 at 03:54 PM.

Disc does some awesome DPS, especially for a healer. Disc all around is INCREDIBLY strong right now, healing wise and DPS as a healer. At the start of the expansion I was healing raids as Holy and Disc, so I didn't have my Shadow spec, and I managed to do dailies and such as Disc perfectly fine. The sustain healing from Atonement keeps you alive and healthy as well when you level and quest.

For fun, here's my logs from Heroic Wind Lord yesterday where I did a whopping 96k DPS (I know there's a damage modifier, but my DPS still made me giddy. Plus, do you know how exciting Atonement + damage modifiers are?!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats some crazy healing and dps from atonement, nice kill!
    Plus, do you know how exciting Atonement + damage modifiers are?
    No, how exciting is it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbred View Post
    No, how exciting is it?

Deleted
    Not sure how many people have played around with the holy dps chakra since the 5.1 changes but it blows disc dps out of the water. The massive trade-off is ofc that you don't have atonement, so no healing whilst you do it.
    However to put it into perspective I can do more single target damage as holy than shadow... (with dps gear for both). Mana isn't an issue thanks to the 90% reduced mana cost, the chakra also increases damage of shadow abilties so you can still spam out SW: P if you wanted (not that much damage though) or spam mind sear (actually pretty good damage), I was pushing 180k smites on a heroic raiding dummy unbuffed... it's... significant.
    I wouldn't suggest it for raiding, as a combination of dps and healing I think disc still pulls far ahead as well as having much better synergy between the spells (from archangel) as opposed to holys anti-synergy from chakra. But for questing holy really is the dogs bollocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heap View Post
    Thank god I'm at work, when I saw this mtn dew soaked my keyboard and monitor(glad it wasnt my personnal stuff), now my nose burns.. thank you!!

DPS only- holy with smite chakra. PWS and HF/Smite single target, mind sear 4+ targets.
    DPS'ing while healing- disc obviously.

Interesting side note here. Ive been playing with the idea of a holy dps spec for Tsulong. For single target effective dmg done on the boss I don't think it can be beat. On our last normal mode kill I did 28m healing and 15m dmg to tsulong for a total of 43m!. Compared to our top DPS (25m to tsulong) and our 2nd best healer (23m) As long as add control during the day is fine, this may be the best cheese spec for a fight in a while.

Seriously, there is no other healer coming even CLOSE to the DPS of the holypriest in chastise chakra stance, using inner fire, the glyphs of smite and holy fire.

You will find that in this setup, you can out-dps most "badly played" DPS specs. When I do my daily dungeon in this setup, it is not unheard of to take the top DPS spot, though this of course really depends on who I play with. I can't touch the DPS a HC raidgeared dpser who knows what he is doing. But there is no denying that Holy's DPS is pretty great these days. At least for a healer spec. And all you have to give up to get it is the ability to heal good.

But in my opinion, if you overgear content, then that just don't matter much. A random renew, ProM, CoH or cascade will usually be more than enough to keep people alive, and if you have to start healing you can always do so without any preparation. For the same reason, the Atonement healing offered by disc just ain't as useful.

Of course... this only works in quests and dungeons... and maybe some LFR fights. But please for the sanity of your co-healers, do not try this while raiding.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    But in my opinion, if you overgear content, then that just don't matter much. A random renew, ProM, CoH or cascade will usually be more than enough to keep people alive, and if you have to start healing you can always do so without any preparation. For the same reason, the Atonement healing offered by disc just ain't as useful.
    Well, atonement still heals almost as much as a dedicated healer does. When I run random heroics for VP cap, it's pointless to go as holy in chastice, hoping to do some dps, because the normally worthless random group tanks will usually require a healer to keep them alive, and I always end up spending half my time casting actual heals on the group rather than dpsing. When I go as disc and I see people taking damage, I just ignore it and keep dpsing because 40-50k dps equals just as much hps at the same time, which is enough to keep anyone alive in a random heroic (supplemented with the random Pain Suppression, pre-pull prayer, PW:S on the tank, and IF+PoH if there's so much aoe damage that atonement wouldn't hit the tank anymore).

Holy's ability to sustain higher dps if there's nothing to heal isn't terribly interesting if there's something to heal most of the time, and if there's really so little to heal that you can just stand around dpsing most of the time then why not go as shadow instead? The appeal of disc dps, to me, is that it lets you dps while healing at the same time, without really handicapping yourself in either regard.

For normal mode raids, I'd rather run healer+disc dpsing than healer+holy dpsing, unless it's the kind of fight where you don't need a secondary healer anyway (in which case I'd rather have healer+shadow).
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

There is a thread in the paladin forums of a shockadin doing 100k dps.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Well, atonement still heals almost as much as a dedicated healer does. When I run random heroics for VP cap, it's pointless to go as holy in chastice, hoping to do some dps, because the normally worthless random group tanks will usually require a healer to keep them alive, and I always end up spending half my time casting actual heals on the group rather than dpsing. When I go as disc and I see people taking damage, I just ignore it and keep dpsing because 40-50k dps equals just as much hps at the same time, which is enough to keep anyone alive in a random heroic (supplemented with the random Pain Suppression, pre-pull prayer, PW:S on the tank, and IF+PoH if there's so much aoe damage that atonement wouldn't hit the tank anymore).

Holy's ability to sustain higher dps if there's nothing to heal isn't terribly interesting if there's something to heal most of the time, and if there's really so little to heal that you can just stand around dpsing most of the time then why not go as shadow instead? The appeal of disc dps, to me, is that it lets you dps while healing at the same time, without really handicapping yourself in either regard.

For normal mode raids, I'd rather run healer+disc dpsing than healer+holy dpsing, unless it's the kind of fight where you don't need a secondary healer anyway (in which case I'd rather have healer+shadow).
    i've started just running random heroics as shadow. even the larger pulls (all of the jade temple library, all of the trash between rattlegore and voss etc) can easily be healed as shadow, just rolling renew on the tank, PoM on CD and VE / star is enough to heal pretty much all the 5man content whilst topping dps in the average group.

Deleted
    I did 50k dps on garajal (10m normal) yesterday as disc, peaking at 90k during heroism etc. This with a standard spirit/mastery build.

We used 3 healers for this kill though, so i only went into the spirit world once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy dps is ridiculous right now, much higher in terms of raw dps than disc. The tradeoff is disc damage also heals. However, for what you described, holy is the better option for leveling, questing, etc. You don't really need the healing that atonement provides in that scenario.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

As I see a lot of people here are doing an astonishing amount of DPS while in Disc. I'm also disc but can't come even close to your numbers. I'm actually closer to 30-35K DPS at most on fights where I focus on an "atonement rotation" such as LFR or random dungeons.

Therefore my question is: What rotation or priority list do you use to reach those numbers ? Do you use a special reforge for that ? As far as I'm concerned I use the following priority list:

1/ Penance on cooldown
    2/ Holy Fire on cooldown
    3/ Spam smite

I am at 475ilvl gear-wise focusing Spirit > Crit > Mastery > Haste
    I use glyph of penance, glyph of smite and glyph of holy fire.