Challenge Mode - Combat Rogue Performance

Alright, so challenge modes scale down to 463 ilvl, which I think poses a distinct problem for combat rogues. At low ilvl, we underperform and then scale much better than other specs/classes with ilvl.

Have any rogues been running challenge modes for gold medals successfully as combat?

- Marek

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    Have any rogues been running challenge modes for gold medals successfully as combat?
    Did it as combat, no problems there tbh. Using potions with every AR/SB helps alot.

Deleted
    Began delving into CMs yesterday, so I only have 1 gold to show for it, but from what I've seen combat is doing fine. Much more important than choice of spec is Shroud of Concealment without which we'd have a hard time getting into groups.

Single target DPS is still higher as assassination, but you want high sustained DPS throughout the dungeon, and that's where cleave kicks in. If not superior then combat is at the very least competitive.

Deleted
    Our Challenge mode golds clear a month n a half a go was Combat rogue/fury warrior/Hunter/Brewmaster [myself]/Resto shaman, and usually it was the combat rogue topping meters. Combined with shroud for skipping packs and blind if things got hairy, the rogue was incredibly useful.

Deleted
    Combat is good for the insane burst it provides on trash. Despite Combat scaling better, it's by far the preferred spec for challenge modes. Assassination was only good for one of the dungeons but I can't recall which one it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Combat is good for the insane burst it provides on trash. Despite Combat scaling better, it's by far the preferred spec for challenge modes. Assassination was only good for one of the dungeons but I can't recall which one it was.
    \
    From my experience combat was only good for one dungeon ;o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by InFlames- View Post
    \
    From my experience combat was only good for one dungeon ;o
    Huh really?
    Well maybe it depends a little on group composition. I imagine if you are mass-pulling lots of packs Assassination with Paralytic Poison is going to be amazing. Sadly in the runs we did we couldn't handle pulling much in one go.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachtobi View Post
    Began delving into CMs yesterday, so I only have 1 gold to show for it, but from what I've seen combat is doing fine. Much more important than choice of spec is Shroud of Concealment without which we'd have a hard time getting into groups.

Single target DPS is still higher as assassination, but you want high sustained DPS throughout the dungeon, and that's where cleave kicks in. If not superior then combat is at the very least competitive.
    >Shroud of Concealment
    most instances min killed mobs = mobs in instance
    =made useless once again

...how did I not think of FoK with paralytic

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmatism View Post
    ...how did I not think of FoK with paralytic
    Now before you run into a challenge mode, mass pull half the dungeon and expect all mobs to be perma-stunned, it's not as good as it sounds. Generally on packs of 5-ish I saw one stunned mob at the time while spamming FoK as Assassination. But our tank was massively undergeared so this one stunned mob made a big impact.

Then again, as Combat you can burst down a pack of 5-ish mobs before your tank get overwhelmed. But for Combat to be effective you need things like Remorseless Winter or Binding Shot from other classes. Hence why I think composition is what makes Assassination viable in some cases.

Paralytic Poison is good though.

I really tought about FoK/Paralytik after we were done , but I really liked using dirty tricks spam using gouge on cd for interrupts and stuff.
    ps : paralytik does not share DR with any stun wich makes it even more awesome.

I just started them a few days ago and finished 3 golds before we stopped for the night. The most stunning I did was 5cp kidney with RvS up. Between myself and our DK tank we didn't have a problem interrupting anything, but our group does lack aoe stuns compared to other comps. I don't think it will be an issue once we pick them back up this weekend but I can definitely see paralytic being much more helpful over leeching.

I've completed them all on gold and I'd have to say assassination is better for most of them. You need to chain pull and there are usually 5-7 mobs always on the tank.

Stack paralytic with FoK is not really bright idea, 26% proc chance with envenom buff, gl with that. The only mob to get stun - is one you autoattacking, unless you have really terrible group dps. FoK mind-numbing may be way more useful.
    But really, i've spammed FoK only twice in all runs - brewery when waiting for barrel to spawn, and 1st pull in shado-pan.