Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Or Italodisco.

Italodisco is probably one of the main reasons why Italians are fucking awesome.
    no thats just white music, its made by white people so its white music.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    no thats just white music, its made by white people so its white music.
    and music made by black people is black music...

As a "white kid" I never actually identified with shit like Rap and Hip Hop music...why? Because the subject matter generally had nothing to do with stuff a typical white kid even cares about.

how is that black music?

That's like saying white music to refer to rock and roll.
    Actually... rock and roll has history in black music so that won't work so well.

We can't even say trance, techno, club, dance, are white genres because they have roots that start in house music, which is very urban and yet again has roots in black music.

It's no different from "Euro dance"

Blacks had x music that was in the black community that spread and influenced other communities. Why is this so difficult?

Then why denote it as black music?
    Because it is a way to point to the origins of the music style. Do you think the word black is a racist word?

African-American music is an umbrella term covering a diverse range of musics and musical genres largely developed by black Americans. Jazz, blues, gospel, and soul constitute the principal modern genres of African-American music. Their origins are in musical forms that arose out of the historical condition of involuntary servitude that characterized the lives of black Americans prior to the American Civil War. The modern genres were developed during the late nineteenth century by fusing European musical styles (characterized by diatonic harmony within the framework of equal temperament) with those of African origin which employed the natural harmonic series.

Following the Civil War, black Americans, through employment as musicians playing European music in military bands developed new musical styles such as ragtime and what would become known as jazz. In developing this latter musical form, African Americans contributed knowledge of the sophisticated polyrhythmic structure of the dance and folk music of peoples across western and sub-Saharan Africa. Together, these musical forms had a wide-ranging and profound influence over the development of music within the United States and around the world during the twentieth century.

The earliest jazz and blues recordings were made in the 1920s. Later periods saw considerable innovation and change. African-American genres have been highly influential across socio-economic and racial groupings internationally, and have enjoyed popularity on a global level. African-American music and all aspects of African-American culture are celebrated during Black History Month in February of each year in the United States.

As well as bringing harmonic and rhythmic features from Western and Sub-Saharan Africa into European musical styles, it was the historical condition of chattel slavery experienced by black Americans within American society that contributed the conditions which would define their music. Many of the characteristic musical forms that define African-American music have historical precedents. These earlier forms include:

.... long read
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Because it is a way to point to the origins of the music style. Do you think the word black is a racist word?
    ok then do you use the term white music to describe all musics started by white people? or Yellow music to describe all music started by asians, or brown music to describe all musics started by either hispanic people or middle eastern people?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

ok then do you use the term white music to describe all musics started by white people? or Yellow music to describe all music started by asians, or brown music to describe all musics started by either hispanic people or middle eastern people?
    sure why not, except it's easier to say Asian Music, or Mexican Music...people call it "Black Music" because it's made by Black people. What's the issue there?

No, I use words such as Arabic inspired music, or Latin etc.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-12-12 at 09:31 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    sure why not, except it's easier to say Asian Music, or Mexican Music...people call it "Black Music" because it's made by Black people. What's the issue there?
    Since when is skrillex black or elvis?

---------- Post added 2012-12-12 at 09:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    No, although I do indeed call hispanic, italian and latin-american music "Latin music". Because it's a term to describe the given thing. Just like "months" comprises January, February, March, April,..., Black music comprises jazz, funky, blues,...
    Months are all relatively similar while jazzz funk blues, dubstep and rock & roll are quite a bit different.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

When was it exclusive? Eminem isn't Black either, though I consider his particular genre to be Black Music as well...

Who exactly is stereotyping now?

Deleted

Months are all relatively similar while jazzz funk blues, dubstep and rock & roll are quite a bit different.
    I don't see what's your problem, how can it be racist if you call something black music, as it's not hate on a race, vice versa it just promotes that race and shows they've done something good and noticeable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then why denote it as black music?
    In most cases, people use the phrase as an homage to the cultural origins that began that genre. Various types of modern music was born out black communities in the americas, from jazz to rock and roll (which have since transcended their racial origins) to some things that are inherently and exclusively "black music" like Gullah shout rings.

You might argue the racial reference is unnecessary but an extraneous label does not automatically mean racist.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

When was it exclusive? Eminem isn't Black either, though I consider his particular genre to be Black Music as well...

Who exactly is stereotyping now?
    you said black music is made by black people, elvis and skrillex are not black yet they make black music.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Settle down dude you've derailed the thread and no matter what you or the other guys say is going to convince the other side that they are right.

you said black music is made by black people, elvis and skrillex are not black yet they make black music.
    no I said, music made by black people is black music :P looks like a similar statement, but it's not. Black People make Black Music, but not all Black Music is made by Black people. I guess a "usually" would be appropriate in there. Also not sure why it's being taken as a negative...

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    In most cases, people use the phrase as an homage to the cultural origins that began that genre. Various types of modern music was born out black communities in the americas, from jazz to rock and roll (which have since transcended their racial origins) to some things that are inherently and exclusively "black music" like Gullah shout rings.

You might argue the racial reference is unnecessary but an extraneous label does not automatically mean racist.
    I mean its not inherently racist by it self but separating or signifying based on race isn't usually a good thing. I mean why not put yellow stars on Jews so people know they are Jews, same kinda concept.

---------- Post added 2012-12-12 at 09:38 PM ----------

no I said, music made by black people is black music :P looks like a similar statement, but it's not. Black People make Black Music, but not all Black Music is made by Black people. I guess a "usually" would be appropriate in there. Also not sure why it's being taken as a negative...
    so if a black person plays polka is it now black music?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

That is why you put it into a context, but this is too hard for you to get it seems. Seriously, you are being silly.

Why do you find the historical origin of music racist?

You are argueing that for example an artist is racist if he says that he got inspired by african-american or black culture, do you realize that? It's the exact same thing.

so if a black person plays polka is it now black music?
    No it's polka music, done by a black dude.

just like Elvis...is Black music, done by a white dude. Though that's a bit of a stretch...guess it depends on what you consider "Black Music."

No it's polka music, done by a black dude.
    Then why can't jazz be jazz, instead of umbrella'd by being called black music?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean its not inherently racist by it self but separating or signifying based on race isn't usually a good thing. I mean why not put yellow stars on Jews so people know they are Jews, same kinda concept.
    No, it's closer to calling Kosher products Jewish products. Can only Jews make or eat them? No. But is the concept of Kosher food Jewish in origin? Yes.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    "Isn't usually a good thing' != "racist." Sorry, but I don't think recognising the positive historical influence of a particular group of people (whether national, cultural or racial) on something is at all the same thing as discrimination, segregation and oppression based on ethnicity, culture or religion.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2012-12-12 at 09:45 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |