Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How are you finding Fractals?

I'm curious how others are finding fractals, particularly the quality of runs outside of full premades, or even in full premades. Had a run not so long ago which ended up as:

(It's just a bit of fun, poking at myself included)

An elementalist took a while to get through one of the jumping puzzles, obviously we were happy to help and provided suggestions whilst giggling, but I have noticed some players who either know everything and zoom straight through, or seem to really struggle getting to grips with some of the mechanics or strategies. The middle ground of learning and adapting as you go seems mightily rare.

How have your fractal groups been?

They are much better than the regular dungeons in design, and I find them to be a bit more fun as well. Just don't take that comment as praise, as I thought the launch dungeons were quite shallow and poorly designed and implemented. I think they are in the right direction, but there are some core mechanics of the game that need to be sorted out a bit better before they move forward I think (it could just be me though).

My groups have been hit and miss. Finding civilized people to play with seems to be more of a feat than trying to solo an Explorable. The majority of players that i have had the "pleasure" to run with become personally offended if you want to take 3 seconds to look around, not to mention if this person is matched up with someone who has never ran that Fractal before.

10+ Year Old Account
    the most fun i have had in an instanced dungeon in any game. there are some bugs that need to be worked out and some mechanics that need to be fleshed out, but overall a great PvE experience for me. the Fractals concept has such growth potential that it's quite insane. here's hoping that their dungeon overhaul pass brings the rest of the game up a notch, i personally enjoy the difficulty of the Explorable Mode dungeons they just need to limit players abilities to glitch and easymode them and add more interesting mechanics to boss fights, random phases would be a good start.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Deleted
    The dungeon is great I like all of the paths quite alot it's probably my favourite one in the game, as for my groups in there 50% have just blazed through with relative ease and 50% couldn't even complete cause the glasscannons kept dying at everything, all have been pugs.

That you can't get back in if you DC cannot be repeated enough times it should be top prioroty for a-net to fix that as it can really ruin a whole run for you and they can take some time too, it shouldn't even have been released in this state imo.

That video is hilarious!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    the most fun i have had in an instanced dungeon in any game. there are some bugs that need to be worked out and some mechanics that need to be fleshed out, but overall a great PvE experience for me. the Fractals concept has such growth potential that it's quite insane. here's hoping that their dungeon overhaul pass brings the rest of the game up a notch, i personally enjoy the difficulty of the Explorable Mode dungeons they just need to limit players abilities to glitch and easymode them and add more interesting mechanics to boss fights, random phases would be a good start.
    Mostly this, although i wouldn't say in ANY game, the Hoth instance in SWG still is my all time favorite instance in any game... that was -the- greatest thing i've ever played.... and now it's gone....
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I'm glad most people seem to be enjoying them seen a few people complaining about them and I honestly don't know why. I love the fractals. Honestly the most fun I've had in any instance (dungeon, party quest w/e) in a very long time. Some of them require a bit of thought, which is nice. The only problem I've found is when folk don't listen or don't speak up when they aren't 100% sure of what to do, which I think is depressing. Shizzle like vote kick features probably drilled that into them. The unforgiving thing with kicking people just because they're new.

Either way, I really hope they continue with this method. A few puzzles, a few bosses, some interesting mechanics. It doesn't need to be huge, it just needs to be fun.

The things I don't like about fractals are easy to list:
    Progression ceiling due to gear: My ele was on fractals 23before I got my first ring (uninfused ofc) and I had done 160fractals by then.
    The higher you go the less "fun" it gets, a boss sneezing at you and you dropping isn't fun and can't be remedied with more toughness/vit since you'll eventually hit a point where the boss oneshots you through that aswell.
    Buggs (cliffside/dc) wreck gameplay experience. Oh it's cliffside, let's skip. 3rd fractal is cliffside again=> let's try this, waste 2h of your life=>we did it up to 4th fractal for daily => DC

Tbh the only fractal I've had people 'veto' as it were is swamp. For some reason no one can run swamp. I like swamp .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KelaniScar View Post
    Tbh the only fractal I've had people 'veto' as it were is swamp. For some reason no one can run swamp. I like swamp .
    The swamp is MY FAVORITE fractal so far! The only two i haven't done are the underwater and the ascalon ones. It may just be because i'm good at the swamp and navigating through terrain, where the rest of my friends... yeah lets just say i take the furthest one for a reason...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    The swamp is MY FAVORITE fractal so far! The only two i haven't done are the underwater and the ascalon ones. It may just be because i'm good at the swamp and navigating through terrain, where the rest of my friends... yeah lets just say i take the furthest one for a reason...
    I never even tried that one everyone downvotes it immediately

Okay, kinda noob-ish question but what exactly is the point of Fractals? You can farm 2(?) Ascended items, and what else?
    Sure, they're fun and so far I enjoy doing them, but why is everyone so obsessed with Fractals and completely neglecting every other dungeon out there? At least that seems to be the case on my server...

It depends. At the moment it's the only non-legendary 'look at me' factor of Guild Wars. But the higher you get, the harder it gets. There's the challenge aspect. As you get higher, you get the chance for the strongest gear in the game currently. There's the material factor. Running fractals has the potential to result in a large amount of gold due to drops / materials, as well as the volume of mobs you're killing. Epeen, Challenge, Gear, Gold. Not really any reason not to run them if you're not bored of them .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    Okay, kinda noob-ish question but what exactly is the point of Fractals? You can farm 2(?) Ascended items, and what else?
    Sure, they're fun and so far I enjoy doing them, but why is everyone so obsessed with Fractals and completely neglecting every other dungeon out there? At least that seems to be the case on my server...
    Because it's the new and shiny, it will always be like that personally I was so busy just running round doing events and puzzles etc that I barely touched dungeons while leveling up so I haven't grown tired of any of them and even have some I never done, I do them all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    Because it's the new and shiny, it will always be like that personally I was so busy just running round doing events and puzzles etc that I barely touched dungeons while leveling up so I haven't grown tired of any of them and even have some I never done, I do them all.
    This, i have done fractals the most recently because it's the easiest to find groups for, that and i kinda wanna get to rank 10 just because i hear a lot of the fights get a lot cooler, but i'll reserve my judgement on that until i get there!

Deleted
    I haven't done a single fractal yet.

I pretty much boycott the fractals dungeon because of ascended gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post

You should really just not boycott it because you don't even need ascended gear for it... if anything just boycott wearing ascended gear

Deleted
    Finding a group for the specific level you're looking for at the moment is quite hard.
    They should have split the whole system into 4 or 5 tiers and not into ... well - infinite levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post

Same as TB boycot with ME3, people will still play it, it will still get loved, you dont need ascended for at least the first 14 levels.