Inscription tips for newbie

I decided to level up inscription on one of my alts. Should I even bother trying to make gold off of glyphs? Seems like a huge time sink to me. Or should I just focus on DM cards and the epic staves and off hands?

Any tips on selling glyphs? I noticed the first round of glyphs I put up on the AH from levelling didn't sell worth a damn.

Glyphs are something that's best jumped in at the start of major patches, I find, and times when people are making more alts.

I mainly do DM cards. I spend a month making as many as I can then sell them all (or any completed decks) when DMF comes around, or the week before it comes.

It is a huge time and money sink. Unless you are on a very populated server all you will do is post 3 of every glyph wait 5 minutes and then cancel them and re-post in a bidding war with somebody to sell 5 glyphs a day(maybe). Also, all the "rare" glyphs can only be trained 1 per day at each rank or you can get a book of mastery but they cost 1000g+ in the AH and you will be hard pressed to actually see a return laying out that much gold for one pattern.

If memory serves it takes just under 60 days to learn all the patterns doing 1 per day.

You might be able to do okay with the shoulder enchants, I haven't really tried. However, I was not able to off load any of the Darkmoon cards for anything but a loss on my server so I am just giving them to my alts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you want to commit a lot of time, don't bother with glyphs. Most of my gold is made through items other then glyphs even though I control the glyph market 75% of the time.

Deleted
    I would say its too late. What surprised me was how long it took with research to get a complete set of Glyphs. Its much easier now they have sorted the books out but at 1 a day for the rarer glyphs it takes many weeks to learn them all. I think its longer than the 60 days mentioned above.You cna make a steady stream of money from them but you can only di it if you master your addons and have good resoruces plus a reaosnable population. Its likely your AH will alreay be dominated by a few scribes, so it will be a war of attrtion whereby you have to repost many times a day hundreds of glyphs. A lot of effort for not a lot of reward.

I also think you are a bit late for the dmf cards, although make one a day. many people have bought the trinket for their mains so its for alts now and check the prices on your server. They will sell just not as much as before. No idea if you have a cheap supply of herbs/ink. Off hands i wouldnt bother with.

That leaves shoulder enchants. I tend to use my scribe to make cards and enchants, although i have too many trinkets.
    As for gly Useful but not a moneymaker really.phs I offer those free to guildies as i have a large stock of thousands of ink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get auctioneeer to check which glyphs are most profitable while leveling. I've made about 1k off the stuff I made leveling my scribe and still am selling it slowly but surely. I don't bother reposting right away if someone undercuts, it just isn't worth the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally levelled 3x Scribes from 1-600 after the first DMF hit in MoP. Made 8 full decks over the course of 2 months (making, selling, trading cards). The advantages when i did this were;

*Pre-farmed Vanilla -> Cata herbs for levelling from scratch (had 5 guild tabs on an alt full)
    *Ridiculous spawn rate for herbs (which has now been nerfed)
    *Higher demand for cards/decks (3 months into this expansion and demand is dying down a lot)

If you want to make money, i havent personally tried to sell Glyphs, but my suggestion for the CURRENT market would be;

*Figure out the rarest cards on your server
    *Look for bargains on individual cards, buy them, and sell them closer to the average price
    *If you manage to, make a full deck and sell it for what you are comfortable with. Ive found the prices people are expecting are currently too high (26k for a deck/trink when on average you can get each individual card not for 1.5-2k).
    *Use trade channel and AH, and monitor both frequently.
    *Remote AH is an amazing tool. Use it if you can (if you work, study, school, etc).
    *If you have a Tauren Druid for farming, this will save you a lot of competition and landing/herbing/remounting time (i wish i levelled my druid first to save some time).

Ive made around 80k off full decks. Did some nice deals that still put a massive profit in my pocket and yet didnt rip the person i was selling to off. Made them more likely to go for my prices than anything else, especially on overpriced AH market.
    Also if you can get in and make/sell cards in the first DMF cycle, you can make an absolute slaying from the serious/hardcore raiders looking for early trinket/Offhand item advantages (i missed out on this market).

Also, it MIGHT be too late to make a quick wad of gold from selling cards, but if you play it smart you can still earn money through it, just be patient.

Hope a little bit of this rambling helps

Winter...The realm of eternal ice

Thats right, DMF cards are easy money. In fact once you start making money on it you should tell all your friends and complete strangers how easy it is so that you can see your profits go in the dumper from all the competition you just created.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Thats right, DMF cards are easy money. In fact once you start making money on it you should tell all your friends and complete strangers how easy it is so that you can see your profits go in the dumper from all the competition you just created.
    Assumes they're on the same realm which is unlikely, at least in the case of strangers on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Assumes they're on the same realm which is unlikely, at least in the case of strangers on a forum.
    That would only be logical if it was one person on one forum. Hell the mats to make the cards are worth more than the cards now.

I wouldn't bother unless you have lots of time, and cash,

On one of my low pop servers, I have a friend who dominates the glyph market, if anyone serious comes along and tries to get in on it, he will lower the price of all glyphs to 1g per and make it non profitable for the guy doing it, three players have tried to compete with him, all three failed,

on other servers that have a decent population, like the above guys say, if its not sold in 5 mins, then someones undercut you,
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Unless they give DMF cards a boost in 5.2 then they are not going to sell very well and 5.2 could drop in as little as 2-3 months for all we know. It would be a huge mistake to store up a bunch of cards and trinkets to sell and then not be able to unload them for a good profit.

Only came back to MoP a month or so ago and thought I'd give cards a try, bought up any cheap MoP herbs and ended up with 2 trinkets after some card trading, the tank one and the caster dps one. Decided to use the tank one on my dk and try to sell the caster dps one as I don't really have any caster dps. Was worried it wasn't going to sell but ended up getting 20k for it which was more than I spent on herbs for the two cards. This was on a low pop server (Azjol-nerub EU Horde). Once you've crafted them it's worth persevering to get the sale. Do the trinket quest to get the actual item, selling it outside of the DMF window is probably best for profits.
    Wildhammer EU
    Horde: New Shadow/Disc Priest

Ajzol-Nerub EU
    Alliance: 100 Fury/Prot Warrior | 95 Shadow/Disc Priest

Deleted
    I gave up on selling glyphs; the market does seem cornered on my server. I did persist with the daily CD crafting[1] that allows you to discover glyphs, so that I learnt them all. That means I am self sufficient for alts, etc, as I really begrudge paying high prices for glyphs.

[1]It's been a while, but IIRC there is a Northrend based one, a minor glyph one and maybe a third new one that also gives you a mat you use for cards, staves etc. It takes a month or two, but with patience and modest mats, you can discover all the glyphs.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    That would only be logical if it was one person on one forum. Hell the mats to make the cards are worth more than the cards now.
    It's about as logical as "post in a thread and your competition is guaranteed to go up." There's assumptions everywhere, in both statements.

That said, the demand is going down anyway, as you said, so they wouldn't be a viable method for long to begin with. Telling strangers would, at worst, make it a bit more difficult to unload your remaining stock. When people start telling everyone else money making strategies, it's because the optimal time for those strategies has passed and there's a new one that they're using now. The item upgrade system introduced in 5.1 helped a bit but I doubt it would've survived the next raid tier regardless.

My tip would be to invest in old herbs. If you want to get into some serious inscription, go to the AH and buy old herbs to make inks. Old herbs are a lot cheaper than converting Green Tea Leaves, but the glyphs still sell at a price equivalent to crafting them with MoP herbs. MoP glyphs have a much smaller profit margin.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    It's about as logical as "post in a thread and your competition is guaranteed to go up." There's assumptions everywhere, in both statements.

That said, the demand is going down anyway, as you said, so they wouldn't be a viable method for long to begin with. Telling strangers would, at worst, make it a bit more difficult to unload your remaining stock. When people start telling everyone else money making strategies, it's because the optimal time for those strategies has passed and there's a new one that they're using now. The item upgrade system introduced in 5.1 helped a bit but I doubt it would've survived the next raid tier regardless.
    Exactly my point. I bailed out of the market before my post, therefore no stock to offload. Its still possible to make cash from it, but the more time that passes, the less money its worth. I put together a deck for a guildy for around 6k this week when the trinkets are on AH for 26k (and not selling for that price either).

Winter...The realm of eternal ice