10+ Year Old Account

Geminid Meteor Shower - Peaks tonight (02:00-03:00 local time)

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essent...r-shower-guide
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geminids

I've bought buns & mulled wine, which I'll bring scalding hot in a thermos to help me keep my warmth as I sit outside on a skateboard ramp scouting for meteors. It has been cloudy where I live every single meteor shower this year, but now.. now the sky is clear. It's also -15 degrees C (5 degrees F), so I'll be in for some discomfort, but it'll be worth it. Aaaaaaaaah this is gonna be awesome, then again I have a thing for all things space so others may not share my enthusiasm.

Anyone else going to watch this? Even if you're not going outside, just place a chair by a window and look out a bit, you might see something fantastic.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

10+ Year Old Account
    The article says 2 AM local time it will peak. Whose local time is it talking about? There's no indication I could see on the page where the article was written.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    i guess Sweden since thats where the OP is from.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    ill be checking it out i love astronomy as well

i hate that every major space event htis year has been cloudy here in PA

venus transit...cloudy

meteor shower in november...cloudy

i woke upthisafternoon the sun was oin my face hopeing it stays clear all night
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's your local time. Wherever you live (don't ask how, I don't know. Haven't read that in-depth about it (although I guess it's that the meteors are coming in from a static angle, and whatever side of the earth is facing that angle, that's where the peak currently is, and that angle equates to 02:00-03:00)). From the Wikipedia article:
    "The meteors from this shower are slow moving, can be seen in December and usually peak around the 13th - 14th of the month, with the date of highest intensity being the morning of the 14th. The shower is thought to be intensifying every year and recent showers have seen 120–160 meteors per hour under optimal conditions, generally around 02:00 to 03:00 local time"

I'm going out now (10pm), so I won't be posting any more until later. Got work so I can't stay up for the peak, unfortunately :/
    Last edited by Dassen; 2012-12-13 at 09:02 PM.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs

I will be delivering newspapers under this so I'm pretty happy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I will be delivering newspapers under this so I'm pretty happy.

who on earth delivers newpapers at 2am?!

10+ Year Old Account
    My goodness, that was awesome. Didn't freeze one bit except my slightly chilly hands. Saw 13 meteors in total, then again I was only there for about 45 minutes (and the peak is 2h 15m away), but the feeling in general.. aaaah, this was definitely one of the best nights of this year. Man, I love winter. And space. And watching space collide with our atmosphere. And this mulled wine, and the buns.

I had an amazing night, I hope you all do as well.