Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    The only time the average person cares about the boiling temperature of water is when they're boiling water.
    How much do you care about 0 fahrenheit, which is the freezing temperature of Brine? How often has that been handy in your life? And 100 celcius making you dead is not an argument in favor of fahrenheit.
    Last edited by Santti; 2012-12-14 at 10:14 AM.

It isn't as practical as fahrenheit for measuring comfort using the scope that you are suggesting. 0 degrees fahrenheit means wear thick clothes. 100 degrees fahrenheit means wear light clothes. 0 degrees celcius means wear thick clothes. 100 degrees celsius means that you're dead. It simply isn't as practical in measuring human comfort on a 0 to 100 scale.
    The systems are different and neither one is wrong, they just go to show different things.
    No offense but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. That post made it kinda obvious. Seriously suggesting that celsius scale is hard to use for deciding what clothes to wear is just incredibly stupid.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    WAIT........ Germans express that, depending on Regions.
    Your example throws everyone in Hamburg off.
    half 12 means 11:30 in southern Germany.. But 12:30 in Northern Germany. But there's even more diversity.
    30 min til noon. The raw number use isn't uncommon either.. 11:30.
    And to make it worse, in southern Germany we also don't say either the past or the to. There's exactly like you explained for austria.
    You better know it, or you have no clue about logic what "three quarters 12'' means lol

I said that to someone once, and they like..... 3 quarters 12...... NINE.. is it nine? No it isn't nine, it was nine already hours ago..
    So much to logic defeating itself lol
    Why not just add ONE word to the phrase to make it easy to understand. For example "Half past 12" would be 12:30, and "Quarter to 9" would be 8:45. I can't help you with "3 quarters 12" though, I'd probably respond with "sorry, I'm American and ignorant, can you please just point me to a watch".
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

10+ Year Old Account
    If I am not mistaken the USA was trialed some 10 - 15 years ago, over being out of line with the international standard.
    And as far as I know the court case went in favor of the international community. USA trade goods must have metric information alongside..
    I've definitely seen an increase on packaging with metric information even on groceries in the supermarket.
    Even milk does not longer only say 1 gal. Just gotta pay attention and you will notice.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-12-14 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    How much do you care about 0 fahrenheit, which is the freezing temperature of Brine? How often has that been handy in your life? And 100 celcius making you dead is not an argument in favor of fahrenheit.
    I used to live in a place that got below 0 F every winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    No offense but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. That post made it kinda obvious. Seriously suggesting that celsius scale is hard to use for deciding what clothes to wear is just incredibly stupid.
    Thank you for the personal insults, they're clearly furthering your argument.
    Please quote me where I said that using celsius to determine what clothes to wear is hard.
    I said that fahrenheit was a more practical system to use to measure human comfort on a 0-100 scale, and that the systems were different and that there's nothing wrong with that. Imperial isn't used alone in business and science anyway. It's used colloquially and is part of our culture and creates a kind of solidarity and uniqueness to the states.
    I honestly have no idea why you're taking this so personally that you feel the need to attack me...

Thank you for the personal insults, they're clearly furthering your argument.
    Please quote me where I said that using celsius to determine what clothes to wear is hard.
    I said that fahrenheit was a more practical system to use to measure human comfort on a 0-100 scale, and that the systems were different and that there's nothing wrong with that.
    I honestly have no idea why you're taking this so personally that you feel the need to attack me...
    We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Conform or DIE! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I've always lived in such place, which would be Finland. It's cold here!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post
    Why not just add ONE word to the phrase to make it easy to understand. For example "Half past 12" would be 12:30, and "Quarter to 9" would be 8:45. I can't help you with "3 quarters 12" though, I'd probably respond with "sorry, I'm American and ignorant, can you please just point me to a watch".
    What you said is used, like I pointed out... It's not as easy with time specification in Germany, as our austrian friend said.
    The reason? Laziness. Southern Germans and Coastal Germans are lazy with language. Everything has to be simplified.

But don't worry too much. I've not seen someone translating that stuff literally, when they talked english or any other language in that matter.
    It's strict national.

I've always lived in such place, which would be Finland. It's cold here!
    So I'm confused why you are asking why it is important to know what '0F' feels like to a human? I mean after a certain point it doesn't feel colder, you just cold faster, but I guess I'm not sure why you are saying it doesn't matter?

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm confused why you are asking why it is important to know what '0F' feels like to a human? I mean after a certain point it doesn't feel colder, you just cold faster, but I guess I'm not sure why you are saying it doesn't matter?
    I wasn't asking what it feels to human at 0 fahrenheit. I know how it feels. Checked how much that is, which is -17.7 celcius. No such winter here when it isn't past that with ease. I have to admit, I worded it poorly. But 0 celcius is just more handy. That's when water freezes, meaning you have to drive carefully, as the roads can be slippery with ice.
    Last edited by Santti; 2012-12-14 at 10:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To the debate about cold and the temperature scales....

Zero Degrees..... The value at which water freezes.... An absolute number even. A neutral if you will.... No positive, no negative. From there on out, either forward or backwards, things come to "live" again. Zero is a void.

Whereas now for Fahrenheit.... 32
    32 is a positive number. 32 equals 0C, water freezes.... It's for humans hella cold. In fact, without proper protection we will not survive in that temperature for very long.
    How can negative conditions be expressed, or defined if you will, by a positive number? There's nothing positive.
    0 Fahrenheit.... What's that mean in human terms?
    Does it mean zero business to leave the house anymore?

For someone living through and with both systems.. I can handle the transition just fine. But the temperature measuring in the USA with Fahrenheit is a clusterfuck for me.
    It throws me off for 15 years already, and will another 30 years. With everything else I could get used to pretty fast and fine, with the temps it's a weird thing.

I wasn't asking what it feels to human at 0 fahrenheit. I know how it feels. Checked how much that is, which is -17.7 celcius. No such winter here when it isn't past that with ease. I have to admit, I worded it poorly. But 0 celcius is just more handy. That's when water freezes, meaning you have to drive carefully, as the roads can be slippery with ice.
    Meh, I was talking to someone from NZ and she was saying it was 28 degrees and they were going swimming, and my reaction was 'you have a polar bear club? awesome!'. It is only odd or confusing if you haven't literally used it your whole life. I maintain there is no difference in how 'good' it is between F and C. If we want a real measurement of temp, we should all switch to Kelvin :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I DO live in such place.
    100+ during the summer, and below 0 during the winter.

I DO live in such place.
    100+ during the summer, and below 0 during the winter.
    Yes we are past this, I thought Santti was saying there is no reason to know what 0F is, (s)he expounded his point and I understood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Who said they couldn't use what they want?
    Are you trying to argue for the sake of arguing? I wouldn't know if anyone said anything I've responded to the OP and didn't actually read any other post.

15+ Year Old Account
    I said that fahrenheit was a more practical system to use to measure human comfort on a 0-100 scale, and that the systems were different and that there's nothing wrong with that.
    aint nothing wrong with that, though i´d say it only describes human comfort well because you know what that numbers relate to, if you had no clue what 32F ment, you´d freeze your ass off, it´s not 1/3 of your body temperature, it´s 100% below your body temperature

What you said is used, like I pointed out... It's not as easy with time specification in Germany, as our austrian friend said.
    The reason? Laziness. Southern Germans and Coastal Germans are lazy with language. Everything has to be simplified.

But don't worry too much. I've not seen someone translating that stuff literally, when they talked english or any other language in that matter.
    It's strict national.
    fun fact, i know a bunch of people from northern germany and they understand everytime i´m talking about when raid starts and when it ends, some guys from between southern and nothern germany had issues with "quarter 12" but not too long *g*

and i appreciate the "austrian friend"
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

It's strict national.
    That's the reason why every time i travel abroad when someone asks for the time i tell em the actual friggin time so no one get's confused
    If it's for ex a bit past 12.30 i tell em it's 12.37 or the like so no one gets confused.
    Last edited by Tyresias; 2012-12-14 at 10:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't nerf the system for the bads!

And also convert to ISO dating yyyy-mm-dd and that goes for certain European countries too

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 12:01 PM ----------

Celsius scale is not any more logical than Fahrenheit scale is. The temperature of freezing water is just as arbitrary as the temperature of salted ice. Kelvin scale on the other hand is logical, at least from the 0 point perspective. It just so happens that the scale of it is the same as the Celsius'.