Thread: Raids in GW2?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Instead of raid dungeons they could add raid dynamic events that you start with specific items. Collect all those items and have your group ready and go! This might also bring back people to those zones that don't see many players. So ofcourse they put them there

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Not at all. One can derive interest despite enjoyment. The two are not linked universally.

By virtue of being a game wouldn't necessarily mean any particular game was made solely for entertainment, i.e. revenue.

I can think of examples of this across a number of media. The question as to whether some one "likes" a film, book or video game [as in this case] is mostly useless to criticism.

And yes, I do think it is spectacularly harmful to the medium for "gamers" [& scare-town quotes around that because I have open contempt for the vulgarity of the vg audience] to contain judgement along an axis of likes/value.

I don't apologize for the belief that the average video game player is undeserving of the medium.

So, let me get this straight, you play games just to see what is good and what is bad in them, sort of like... an art critic?
    Ok, how do you critique a game then? Don't you use subjectivity? For example, someone might feel a cartoony style is crap, while someone might feel too lifelike style is also crap. Someone might find... fractals awesome, and someone might not. I belive even critique is subjective and based on personal preferences. This is why i always tell people when they ask if they might like X game, I give examples of how things work in game and tell them to think/try the game themselves, since I can't know if they'd like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    So, let me get this straight, you play games just to see what is good and what is bad in them, sort of like... an art critic?
    No. I just find the design of games more interesting than the actual [enjoyment] play experience.

Gameplay is objective as games predicated on a system of rules. Critique comes in how well the game is executed &/or how well written those rules are. They are play systems.

One doesn't have to enjoy Mega Man X or Puerto Rico to point out the thoroughness of game design. No more so than one need find Salo or Maja Ratkje enjoyable.

The investigation itself & for it's own sake is worthwhile and a motivator apart from base enjoyment.

I do enjoy video games [as with all games digital, or otherwise] for recreation and pleasure, natch. It's just about as useful as talking about my favorite pizza toppings.

anchovies and pineapples

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    anchovies and pineapples
    OMG terrible now I know why you don't like the games I like. Pizza toppings are a direct correlation to the games you like or don't like to play. I like scientific studies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No. I just find the design of games more interesting than the actual [enjoyment] play experience.

Gameplay is objective as games predicated on a system of rules. Critique comes in how well the game is executed &/or how well written those rules are. They are play systems.

One doesn't have to enjoy Mega Man X or Puerto Rico to point out the thoroughness of game design. No more so than one need find Salo or Maja Ratkje enjoyable.

The investigation itself & for it's own sake is worthwhile and a motivator apart from base enjoyment.

I do enjoy video games [as with all games digital, or otherwise] for recreation and pleasure, natch. It's just about as useful as talking about my favorite pizza toppings.
    I will just conclude we don't really agree with this and most likely never will. I belive the design of games is interesting only if you plan on designing a game yourself, otherwise you value the gameplay and how much fun and enjoyment you get out of it. This is what I think. But maybe that's because I find enjoyment in a lot of little things, like when my hippogryph in WoW started walking I'd run in circles for hours on it because I loved the animation, or when the halloween stuff was in GW2 I spent quite some time in that mini-game with the skeletons and destroying the crypts running in the grass to see how it bends since I found it cool.

Yes, one does not have to enjoy games to point good points and shortcomings in them, but they need to understand what people find enjoyable in them. Because otherwise you might critique something that everyone likes, and thus the question goes to "why do you critique something that works good?". Obviously this is not the case of dungeons in GW2, there are things to critique about them, but talking in general now.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    OMG terrible now I know why you don't like the games I like. Pizza toppings are a direct correlation to the games you like or don't like to play. I like scientific studies.
    You like scientific studies on pizza? Well... if that's what you like... thought doesn't it taste like paper when you eat them? Or do you put them on digital form before you put them on the pizza turning the pizza into a giant CD?

10+ Year Old Account
    Raids won't be in GW2, and shouldn't be in GW2.

I've been raiding in games since EQ1, EQ2, SWG, and WoW, i have done every single instanced PVE from vanilla til the end of cataclysm.
    I still have the time and ability to do raids, but i don't want to anymore, they aren't fun.

Unlike what you believe about the popularity of raiding, it's not very popular. Out of the 10 million players WoW may or may not still have less than 5% raids, and that's after LFR. A company isn't going to add something that most of their players have no interest doing. It isn't profitable.

I loved raiding back in the day, i participated in server firsts on a highly competitive server the whole time i played the games. But it isn't for me anymore. I enjoy fighting bosses with 4 of my closest friends instead of with a bunch of people i have no real interest in getting to know. Raids take more effort than they are worth and sometimes the people in your group can be too frustrating to deal with.

I'm sorry but raiding is dying, It isn't marketable. People like playing MMOs casually now or for the story, exploration, ETC.

I could go on with why raids wouldn't work with GW2 or other subjects about raiding, but enough has been said.