Affliction Doomguard Question

I went warlock this tier to help the raid's comp and gearing and I believe I am doing pretty well but since I used to rank on almost every fight last tier as Shadow I am looking into the min/maxing of my class. The main thing that I believe is confusing me is when to pop Doomguard as I am seeing a large discrepancy on my logs and rankers logs. I see people having almost 1.5 million if not more from their Doomguard while I am getting around 600-700k. I was under the impression that the DG will gain buffs actively so that you cast it before int buffs and lust and it will gain those stats once you gain them. Am I wrong in assuming that?

You are right with active scaling, my Doomguard is also sitting at around 700k. So does simcraft one with bis gear. 1,5mln sounds like a log being bugged and counting all damage done double, boss having debuff that increase it's damage taken (Wind Lord) or fight lasting long enough for cd to reset.

it depends when your guild lusts, if you guys plan on lusting at the start of the fight, its best to use doomguard BEFORE lust is casted, do doomguard only benefits from lust if its casted after doomguard is out, since you will have every int proc possible at the start aswell, if you dont lust at the start of the fight its best to do it after 20%, (Call for an extra lust) if needed,

Quote Originally Posted by Nivrax View Post
    You are right with active scaling, my Doomguard is also sitting at around 700k. So does simcraft one with bis gear. 1,5mln sounds like a log being bugged and counting all damage done double, boss having debuff that increase it's damage taken (Wind Lord) or fight lasting long enough for cd to reset.
    Yup I believe my suspicions came from that exact fight seeing as I thought Infernal would be an optimal choice at the beginning of the fight. Clearly not because apparently a scaled DG can smoke it in damage even with a ton of adds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Personal View Post
    it depends when your guild lusts, if you guys plan on lusting at the start of the fight, its best to use doomguard BEFORE lust is casted, do doomguard only benefits from lust if its casted after doomguard is out, since you will have every int proc possible at the start aswell, if you dont lust at the start of the fight its best to do it after 20%, (Call for an extra lust) if needed,
    That part isn't true anymore. Evrelia looked into it a while ago and Doomguard just fires 17 bolts, regardless of haste levels, lust or other. So best time to use it is sub 20% or like always when you need the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    That part isn't true anymore. Evrelia looked into it a while ago and Doomguard just fires 17 bolts, regardless of haste levels, lust or other. So best time to use it is sub 20% or like always when you need the damage.
    Thanks! Does the 20% boost outweigh all of the Int procs you get from fights where you lust in the beginning (obviously discounting lust since it doesn't benefit DG)?

Quote Originally Posted by Greywardenn View Post
    Thanks! Does the 20% boost outweigh all of the Int procs you get from fights where you lust in the beginning (obviously discounting lust since it doesn't benefit DG)?
    Sure does. If possible you should line up with as many trinket procs/potion as possible but if not it won't be the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywardenn View Post
    It should - since DG lasts a minute, and you can factor out the pot (because you'd be potting for execute), all your procs should at least show up once during the execute phase. The only difference is that some procs will show up twice if you pop DG on pull and there's better stacking of these procs on pull. Still, all this combined should not be better than 20% extra DG damage for a minute.
    http://darkcontent.wordpress.com/ - blog (updated Oct. 8, 2013). Latest post: T16H Affliction Trinket Rankings in Combination, done in SimC 540-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustjive View Post
    It should - since DG lasts a minute, and you can factor out the pot (because you'd be potting for execute), all your procs should at least show up once during the execute phase. The only difference is that some procs will show up twice if you pop DG on pull and there's better stacking of these procs on pull. Still, all this combined should not be better than 20% extra DG damage for a minute.
    Yeah. The only complicating factor is how accurately you can estimate 1min left in the fight. If your doomguard only casts sub-20% for 45 seconds it'd probably be better to cast it at the start.

Yeah, I've just decided to err on the side of caution with regard to Doomguard. Hard to predict how much others' dps will go up from week to week.

I'm not a super min/max-er tho, and this actually is one of the few things I know I could be doing better than I'm fine with not maximizing.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.