10+ Year Old Account

Build For Mists With Specific Circumstances, Need Some Advice

Let me start this off by saying that I don't require super ultra settings with everything maxed out over the moon and back. What I want out of WoW is this:

1366x768 resolution (I have no intention of going to 1080p, I don't think my monitor even does it)
    Ultra view distance
    Ultra environment detail
    Ultra particle density (spell effects)
    And halfway decent texture quality, detail, character model skins, etc. etc., but by no means do I need pwn settings on those
    Shadows, Sunshafts, Liquid Textures, and whatever that new thing they added for Mists (SHOA?) will all be turned off or set to lowest possible, as I don't really care about them
    No AA (I don't even know what it does and can't tell any difference when it's turned on vs. turned off anyway)
    Not sure what Multisampling does either, so I'll just put that one in the middle I guess

So in order to get this, I have 2 builds in mind. Both use 8gb RAM.

1. i3-3220 3.3ghz with GTX 560 Ti

Or

2. i5-3470 with HD 7770

I've been told that WoW is very much more a CPU intensive game will thus benefit more from the i5 with the lower-end GPU than the i3 with the better GPU.

So is this a viable build for getting decent fps (35-50 maybe?) under the graphical circumstances I mentioned? What kind of performance could I be looking at in Stormwind or in 5 mans? (I don't really raid, but I don't imagine the 10 man raids to be all that much heavier than the 5 man randoms, at least it wasn't an issue in Cata.)

Thanks in advance

---------- Post added 2012-12-15 at 12:04 AM ----------

Come on, 22 views and no replies? I know somebody out there has to know something about this, when I tried to show another build with an AMD I got multiple pages where everyone screamed at me to get an Intel, so I made an intel build and nobody's interested
    Last edited by RicardoZ; 2012-12-15 at 03:05 AM.

Deleted
    i3-3220 is perfectly fine for your needs, perhaps you can pair it with a 7850/70?

Hey sorry for overlooking your thread.

Hmm there's not that much difference between the i3 and i5 non-k version in WoW. Game is only making use of 2 cores. In other games such as BF3 whatever the i5 is superior to the i3 and can handle higher graphics cards much better though. Multisampling is just making images sharper or just the edges (can't remember). SHOA? Do you mean SSAO?

What's your budget actually? Might want to start building your own PC?

Deleted
    The I3 will have zero issues, especially at 1366x768 resolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    The I3 will have zero issues, especially at 1366x768 resolution.
    Good to know. So then could I even cut it cheaper money-wise and go with the i3 and 7770 at that resolution and get the performance I was looking for in my op?

Deleted
    I would say so although a 7850/70 might be worth the investment too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say so although a 7850/70 might be worth the investment too.
    Sure, but that would be for an upgrade after I'd saved up for a while or seen how the 7770 works out. If it doesn't work out exactly how I want and I have to drop to medium settings or something for a few weeks while I wait then it won't be the end of the world. Thanks for your help

Deleted
    Yeah it'll be perfectly fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it'll be perfectly fine.
    Yeah, all of my fears have been allayed by this video I just saw on YouTube of some guy with this gpu in LFR getting boss fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1GVRENWoWg

If he can do that in LFR with this card, then I'm sure it'll more than suit my purposes, let alone if I spring for the OC version or something which is even better and only an extra $10 or so.

And to think that so many people chewed me out and told me how horrible it is and that it gets 5 fps in Vanilla-era Desolace lol

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Yeah, all of my fears have been allayed by this video I just saw on YouTube of some guy with this gpu in LFR getting boss fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1GVRENWoWg

If he can do that in LFR with this card, then I'm sure it'll more than suit my purposes, let alone if I spring for the OC version or something which is even better and only an extra $10 or so.

And to think that so many people chewed me out and told me how horrible it is and that it gets 5 fps in Vanilla-era Desolace lol
    You could easily answer it that this i3 is going to perform exactly the same as the i5 in wow..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    You could easily answer it that this i3 is going to perform exactly the same as the i5 in wow..
    lol well I didn't know that at the time So I'm thinking now of getting a 1440x900 monitor just because I found a really good deal on one. I don't know how that will affect performance since it's up from the 1366x768 rez, but I don't think it's THAT much that it would make a horrible difference. Maybe an FPS or two here and there?

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    lol well I didn't know that at the time So I'm thinking now of getting a 1440x900 monitor just because I found a really good deal on one. I don't know how that will affect performance since it's up from the 1366x768 rez, but I don't think it's THAT much that it would make a horrible difference. Maybe an FPS or two here and there?
    Something which haven't been said yet, at low resolutions you're more cpu bound than gpu.. The gpu would really be like "yawnnnnnnnnn gimme a job". If you can, get a 1080p monitor so the intensify on the cpu is lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Something which haven't been said yet, at low resolutions you're more cpu bound than gpu.. The gpu would really be like "yawnnnnnnnnn gimme a job". If you can, get a 1080p monitor so the intensify on the cpu is lower.
    This. spread some of the workload across your system. The 560ti is a generation old and you should rather go for a 7850 or equal. Play it in 1080p with most settings to high, that gives in my experience the smoothest experience.

I would say, for wow, that the i3 listed is equal to the i5 listed. The i5 turboes slightly higher (since i3s don't turbo), but they are roughly equal in games like Wow.