Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post

3. That doesn't mean that the game IS steam- or cyberpunk. Warcraft is very much a decidedly fantasy universe. The guns and engineering and whatnot is more to cover as many fanbases as possible. Of course, that's not to say the Tinker is impossible in WoW, but they'd need to start taking the lore in a new direction and have a good reason for all the new steampunk stuff. An excavation of a Titan archaeological site would do just fine.
    Well like I said earlier, the main part of the Alliance and Horde war machine is tech based. Look at MoP. Airships take both factions to Pandaria. A Goblin nuke decimates Theramore, and the Forsaken used technology and alchemy to overwhelm Gilineas. If the next expansion is going to focus on the Alliance/Horde conflict, a Tinker could enter the scene and make a lot of sense.

4. This isn't really a reason for anything. The Pit Lord was in Warcraft III as well. So was the Crypt Lord. You can't (and shouldn't) play those things in WoW.
    Well, Pit Lords and Crypt Lords couldn't work as classes in WoW. Both of those units derive abilities from what their race is, not because of their role or job in the game. A Goblin Tinker or Alchemist are just Goblins that happen to work in those jobs. Also its clear that other races are using technology as well.

5. But you literally just used Hunters as an example. All a Tinker would be is literally a Hunter with engineer and steampunk flair.
    This is a good point, but its all about implementation. Monks and Rogues for example are both melee classes that use energy and wear leather armor, but the two classes play entirely different from one another, and Monks fill niches that Rogues can never fill and vice versa. In the case of Tinkers, the same could apply because the lore of the class is so wide open and varied. In my thread, the class was trinity hybrid that used Mechs. Blizzard could go in a completely different direction and it would still fit.

Thanks for your comments.

plus the new class gotta be ranged...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneth View Post
    There's no reason whatsoever to limit the class. Yes, goblins and gnomes have an entire culture based around engineering (which is a crafting skill), but there have been plenty of examples of other races delving into the more technological side of the world.
    Yeah, Belves created the mana bomb.

One thing I would like to see is another class with both ranged and melee DPS specs. We have what, only 2 of those right now?
    "I will say, I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act."

15+ Year Old Account
    Instead of having more classes, add something to the existing ones. Since one or two new abilities each expansion is NOT enough to keep them interesting. Maybe a fourth spec for some of the existing classes. Especially us pure DPS classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnasty View Post
    I second this....and besides if every new class that comes out is a flexible hybrid, what happens to classes that only fill 1 particular niche?
    This game shouldnt become World of Hybrids, or World of Recycled Ideas. Lets get some fresh blood.... a tinker doesnt seem fresh. But rather dull and boring.
    It did the second they decided to let hybrids do comparable damage to pure classes. Pures are just an outdated concept and no longer have a place in terms of class design. That's just the way things are now because nobody wants a class with 3 specs that do the same thing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    Yeah, Belves created the mana bomb.
    I've never seen a Blood Elf with a positron collider attached to his or her back. Maybe they should consider leaving this stuff to the professionals.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Maybe a fourth spec for some of the existing classes. Especially us pure DPS classes.
    This is what I was hoping for before Monks were announced as a new class. I think at this point focus should be spent on keeping the current classes fresh and interesting rather than trying to come up with entirely new classes. Still, even just one added spec for each class is still 3, 4 times the theoretical work of one new class, which is why this will probably never happen.

Regardless, there should be an effort put in to make every class a hybrid of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    It did the second they decided to let hybrids do comparable damage to pure classes. Pures are just an outdated concept and no longer have a place in terms of class design. That's just the way things are now because nobody wants a class with 3 specs that do the same thing anymore.
    This, pretty much.
    "I will say, I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act."

Seems like the concept for a Tinker class was already covered by the Engineering profession, so I honestly do not see this happening. Demon hunter seems more apt to be created for the next expansion than this class.

What they should have done with the monk is make them Int leather only, thus making agi leather between rogues and druids, and int leather between druids and monks. But I guess a melee dps and tank using int leather was something that was too hard for them to create. As such, if they did make a new class that used mail armor, they should only use int mail. But I guess Blizzard likes to have 3 classes fight over the same gear (all clothies need the same armor, but priests are the only ones that use spirit; all leather wearers fight over agility leather; all mail wearers fight over agility mail; all plate wearers fight over str plate but only paladins can use int plate). These don't take into account certain specs of a class.

What I would like to see happen, is a class that starts out in leather, graduates to agility (and possibly int) mail at 40, and a healing spec that gets to wear plate armor. A class with a physical ranged dps spec (agility mail), a magic ranged dps spec (int mail), and a healing spec (spirit/int plate). That way, 2 classes use int leather (monk and druid), 2 classes use int mail (shaman and new class), and 2 classes use spell plate (paladin and new class). But I am sure doing something such as this will be too much and they just stick with mail, making them create a 4th plate class to use str and int plate, then having to design another cloth, leather and mail wearer to even out the armors.

Edit: And it has been said that Runemasters were fused in with the Death Knight, which is why they use runes and runic power as a resource.
    Last edited by Pachycrocuta; 2012-12-16 at 06:14 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    If anything, tinkers should be locked specifically to gnomes and goblins. Seems more appropriate.

It's a much better idea than demon hunters, who would pretty much just be yet another shaman/paladin/DK/monk melee-caster hybrid. Every single DH ability from Warcraft 3 (Mana Burn, Immolation, Evasion, Metamorphosis) has already been given to another WoW class, so there's nothing left for an actual DH class that wouldn't just feel like a copy of something another WoW class already has. An advantage for tinkers would be that the whole "engineering" theme is an excellent excuse to make the class available to every race except pandas; anyone who studies engineering can become a tinker, but pandas haven't been in contact with the other races long enough to do so yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The core of Monk healing is melee (Eminence) healing, which is very unique, and a lot of fun.
    No, it's not. At level 40, perhaps, but not at 90, especially not since the nerfs. The core of monk healing is Renewing Mist and Uplift. You're basically a restoration druid with the option to generate your secondary resource through melee attacks. Which is pretty much how resto druids used to work, back when they'd auto-attack things for clearcasting procs whenever possible. Or holydins with the old Seal of Wisdom. Monk healers are unique on paper, but in practice they're pretty much the same as every other healer.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    It's a much better idea than demon hunters, who would pretty much just be yet another shaman/paladin/DK/monk melee-caster hybrid. Every single DH ability from Warcraft 3 (Mana Burn, Immolation, Evasion, Metamorphosis) has already been given to another WoW class, so there's nothing left for an actual DH class that wouldn't just feel like a copy of something another WoW class already has. An advantage for tinkers would be that the whole "engineering" theme is an excellent excuse to make the class available to every race except pandas; anyone who studies engineering can become a tinker, but pandas haven't been in contact with the other races long enough to do so yet.
    Yet again with this "anyone who can study engineering" stuff. Name me a single Blood Elf willing to slap a positron collider on their back and I guarantee you in the same time I can find thirty-eight goblins willing to bash that thing against a wall when it doesn't work right.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    No, it's not. At level 40, perhaps, but not at 90, especially not since the nerfs. The core of monk healing is Renewing Mist and Uplift. You're basically a restoration druid with the option to generate your secondary resource through melee attacks. Which is pretty much how resto druids used to work, back when they'd auto-attack things for clearcasting procs whenever possible. Or holydins with the old Seal of Wisdom. Monk healers are unique on paper, but in practice they're pretty much the same as every other healer.
    This is true.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Nice idea. I liked the concept of the tinker/engineer class in GW2, and having it applied to wow would make sense given the lore, and that an rp class for tinker already exists.
    Your signature... dude... what the flying fuck?

OT: Might work. But if they could use only int mail and fill DPS/healing role. And bow doesn't fit them at all... something more like machine gun or flame throwers would work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Seems like the concept for a Tinker class was already covered by the Engineering profession, so I honestly do not see this happening. Demon hunter seems more apt to be created for the next expansion than this class.
    This was discussed in the OP. Engineering is a crafting profession. You use engineering to build mounts and armor. Class abilities are offensive and defensive abilities and utility, things that a crafting profession doesn't cover. Also the tinker abilities from WC3 have never been included in the engineering profession.

Post that on official wow forums, not here...
    Also good idea!

Deleted
    Completely unrealistic tbh

While it was a hero in WCIII::TFT, it would have no wow feel, who would want to play engineer as class? relying on machine powers aren't really the wow style.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneth View Post
    There's no reason whatsoever to limit the class. Yes, goblins and gnomes have an entire culture based around engineering (which is a crafting skill)
    I wouldn't say that. Engineering is important to Goblins, but their culture is based upon money making. Engineering is much more of a cultural thing for Gnomes. Much more. For Goblins? Explosives, alchemy and money.

But engineering? It's Gnomes who are the mad scientists, the tinkers, the scientists, the sparks and wrap their whole culture around it. For Goblins, its one part of their society and soemthing that is a mere facilitator.

EJL

Quote Originally Posted by Grim32 View Post
    That'd be cool, maybe limited only to gnomes & goblins ;-)

-Grim
    Ya, well, if monks were limited to Night Elves, Trolls and Pandaren maybe you'd have a claim.

Gnomes and goblins aren't the only races with engineering prowess or machinery. Blood Elves have arcane powered constructs and machinery, Night Elves have motorized siege weaponry, Dwarves build tanks, Draenei were familiarized with Naaru technology to traverse the stars.

Monks had potential too, they're ok in terms of fun now, but Blizzard missed a lot of things they could have done to make the class more unique.
    I respectfully disagree whole-heartedly with that. Monks play different, feel different, from any other class and their respective roles, and are a lot of fun to boot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where the bad salad is kept crisp on ice.
    Still waiting on demon hunters...
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    He's riding to work, he's not escaping from a star destroyer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    They should introduce a new weapon class: 1h pistols.
    This. So much this. And its already ingame! Look at SFK