Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    lovely... lol

I've kinda cooled off on FTB. Ever since Slowpoke decided to use the news to troll people about redpower. It's just very unprofessional and looks bad on him and his community.
    And you have evidence of this, where? People are calling it a troll as a knee-jerk reaction. Fact is every mod team of everything ever is not 100% transparent. People have private reasons and instead of saying private reasons he used a lighthearted joke.

Elorram's twitter practically confirms that. She said that she was able to unpaid leave off work as time to work on redpower 2 thanks to donations, which suggests pretty clearly there wasn't time before.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    And you have evidence of this, where?
    His own words on IRC. It's documented. Also, not getting into an argument about redpower. It's my opinion that it was a bad move and I stand by it. I do love the work the FTB team has done up to this point, I just think teasing people with fake redpower news when the community as a whole has been itching for an update to it for months is just a misstep. In this situation he could have chosen to remain silent on the matter and not stir people up for no reason with false news. That's the definition of trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Normally his post is something I wouldn't even think twice about. But it's the fact that people have been eagerly waiting for RP2 with 0 information coming from it that makes this a bad post.

So I have recently received further news about the release of Red Power 2. It has apparently been decided that release of the mod has been delayed until after the 21st December 2012. Apparently there are fears that if Eloraam was to release now, the amount of data being downloaded at one time would effectively bring down the internet. This would lead to a chain of events that would cumulate in the end of world.

It is hoped that by delaying the upcoming release of Red Power we can avoid this disaster and may get to see a future where we finally get to a point where FTB can release a stable mod pack, the hard work of Pahimar and Soaryn isn't wasted and we all get to see the amazing looking Equivalent Exchange and Xycraft, and Notch and Jeb finally give the mod developers a few weeks to breathe by not releasing a new version or update to Minecraft (OK sorry, I admit it, the last one is a dream).

Anyways, you can all relax for the next few weeks, give your F5 key a much earned break...
    This was posted on the 11th, it is now the 18th. I fail to see any trolling whatsoever involved here given that it has indeed not released yet, and as mentioned a joke was used to cover probably a private reason.

you're saying that it is more professional to give no information (BAD PRACTICE) then to inform people that it won't be out till the 21st or later, which so far is holding 100% true. Whether you dislike the use of personal joke or not, everyone everywhere does it all the time. It's just used to cover up a non-public reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except the Dec 21st date is completely fabricated. He also said in IRC that he had no clue when it will release and that there are simply bugs to work out and Eloraam was dealing with RL and didn't have much time to work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Except the Dec 21st date is completely fabricated. He also said in IRC that he had no clue when it will release and that there are simply bugs to work out and Eloraam was dealing with RL and didn't have much time to work on it.
    Now read what he said and read what I said.

"delayed until AFTER dec 21st" from slowpoke, not a troll, 100% truth. This is a good confirmation that allows people to stop checking every 1-2 hours like some have. That is very considerate if anything.

Second I said "cover probably a private reason" that you just confirmed yourself, dealing with RL. Also known as private reasons. Eloraam confirmed that stance yesterday I think.

There was no troll, and I think people calling it a troll and unprofessional need to seriously brush up their comprehension skills, or simply stop insulting people who work off donations because they don't have a sense of humour (apparently).

The whole "the internet might go down" is an obvious joke. anyone who took is seriously would have been instantly corrected if they had asked anywhere. I imagine the majority of the people playing minecraft mods have enough understanding of the internet to realize it can't just "go down" due to some harmless download.

10+ Year Old Account
    "delayed until AFTER dec 21st" from slowpoke, not a troll, 100% truth
    Completely fabricated. RP2 was never delayed by Eloraam, and she never gave out any kind of date whatsoever. The 21st was only put in due to the Mayan callendar BS. You can't delay the release of something that doesn't have a release date. It could be released today, it could be released 3 years from now. No one know but Eloraam. Slowpoke said this himself in IRC, he said he has no clue when it will release.

Yes his post was a joke. But guess what, most troll posts are. When you have such a toxic community as the gaming community has, you should know better than to post "jokes" about such a touchy subject as RP2 is atm. Eloraam has been taking a lot of grief over this project and small things such as this post only adds to it, it's unfair to her. The subject should have just been left alone until news from Eloraam herself was released.

As I said, I know the post was a joke, most people did. But it IS unprofessional to "provoke" the community like Slowpoke did, whether it was intended or not. Sometimes you just have to learn to keep quiet. Eventually, shit works out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    you're saying that it is more professional to give no information (BAD PRACTICE) then to inform people that it won't be out till the 21st or later, which so far is holding 100% true. Whether you dislike the use of personal joke or not, everyone everywhere does it all the time. It's just used to cover up a non-public reason.
    I'm saying it's unprofessional to go around trying to fool and troll people. Joking or not it's a touchy subject and to post something like that on the main page of your site just looks really silly. There's no reason to post it at all. The post contains zero information that is useful.

Arguing about it at this point will also not change the fact that it makes them look silly. That's my last word on the subject though...

@Greevir Taking your own interpretation does not an argument make.

Eloraam said yesterday that due to donations she was able to take unpaid leave off work to finish Redpower2. This means a week ago for all you know (and you confirmed yourself) previously due to IRL commitments she couldn't work on it. That is the definition of a delay, and does not need a release date to occur. I'm not sure why you're hooking on this mayan calendar thing so much, that is the joke and is not the point of the post. The point that redpower2 would not be out for a week or so is the point. That is informative and neither of you can take away from that no matter how much you may try to call your opinions "facts".

Troll posts are not intended to make the audience giggle, they are intended to draw flames. Like most of the people on mmo-champ you are being a prime example of the type of person to call something a troll because you disagree with it (or wildly misinterpret it, it seems). It was not made to draw flames up, and here's the secret that I'm sure our lovely mod here will ban for: MMO-champ is not representative of other gaming communities. MMO is a step above COD and battlefield voice chat rooms, sure. The FTB forums are much nicer in general (which is their community).

Please explain without bias why it is actually provoking, unless you want to argue offense over the mayan calendar as it an affront to your beliefs, then sure, maybe. Personally I can see an argument there since I wouldn't touch a religious PC argument with a 10-foot barge pole.

Fuzzie: Without that post Redpower 2 could've been out 3 days ago for all we know, spamming refresh waiting for that to happen. That post gives people some piece of mind (since no doubt slowpoke has some level of communication with eloraam and other modders or are you going to pretend this is false too?) to the hundreds of people eagerly waiting. That is both informative and considerate, whether it affects you personally or not.

Also, arguing about this will not chance the fact that what you stated isn't fact, but a stubborn opinion. It is your opinion it makes them look silly, because you can't put 1 and 1 together.

Then again, I guess it's normal for mmo-champion posters to think it is intended to be taken seriously when someone posts about the mayan calendar.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was looking on the official FTB wiki and noticed a DireWolf20 ModPack is in the works. Anyone have any info on what that'll contain?

15+ Year Old Account
    I was looking on the official FTB wiki and noticed a DireWolf20 ModPack is in the works. Anyone have any info on what that'll contain?
    It's probably the mods he's going to be using for his season 5 let's play. I think he's only waiting for redpower to get it started. Then again, I'm not sure how that will all work with permissions. Either way, should be cool!

Deleted
    It's probably the mods he's going to be using for his season 5 let's play. I think he's only waiting for redpower to get it started. Then again, I'm not sure how that will all work with permissions. Either way, should be cool!
    Yeah, fairly sure that the Direwolf ModPacks will contain the mods that he's currently running. Although I suspect permissions for DireWolf will be fairly easy seeing as he plays with most of the modders (I think most anyway).

Also, anyone know what I'll need to type into the enderstorage.cfg file to increase the storage size of the ender pouches and chest? 3x3 is a bit annoying IMO unless you're using it as a mining dump.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reganom View Post
    Also, anyone know what I'll need to type into the enderstorage.cfg file to increase the storage size of the ender pouches and chest? 3x3 is a bit annoying IMO unless you're using it as a mining dump.
    FTB is still running 1.4.2 right? Enderstorage probably doesn't have the option for 6x9 storage grids for that version of MC. You'll need to wait for the update to 1.4.5 (or 1.4.6 I guess) to be able to use it.

The code looks like:

Code:
    storage-size=2
    Set it to 2 for a max size 6x9 storage grid.

Deleted
    FTB is still running 1.4.2 right? Enderstorage probably doesn't have the option for 6x9 storage grids for that version of MC. You'll need to wait for the update to 1.4.5 (or 1.4.6 I guess) to be able to use it.

The code looks like:

Code:
    storage-size=2
    Set it to 2 for a max size 6x9 storage grid.
    Ah, yeah had already tried that and when it didn't work just assumed it was wrong. Yeah guess it's only allowed in the later versions. Thanks anyway though =]

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reganom View Post
    Ah, yeah had already tried that and when it didn't work just assumed it was wrong. Yeah guess it's only allowed in the later versions. Thanks anyway though =]
    It's a fairly recent addition. Chances are FTB is updating soon anyways.

Deleted
    I'm not gonna talk about all the other stuff, but I will confirm a few things about updates and the DW pack.

The direwolf pack will contain all the mods direwolf will be using in his let's play (he'll be using the pack himself, as a matter of fact) and we will also be distributing his map every 10 episodes through the maps tab on the launcher.

FTB will be updating as soon as all the mods come out for whatever minecraft version mojang finally decide to go with... And there will be 5 'official' packs, Ultimate (everything XD), Magic World (as seen in the launcher), tech world (a variety of the best tech mods out there), lite pack (a stripped down version of the pack, for beginners or small server hosts that don't want a CPU draining pack) and finally the direwolf pack.

I'll also touch on the private packs that was mentioned earlier in this thread, it's basically an opportunity for people to distribute packs through the launcher without having it clutter up the screen of people who don't need it, EVERY pack will need full permissions, be it from our blanket permissions we had for some mods(permission for any pack in the launcher, but this is seperate from our permissions) or from permissions collected independantly. The packs will be accessed by typing a unique code into the launcher, and that pack and all future updates will then be added to your launcher.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I'll find myself using the FTB Launcher. As it is right now, I'm just using MultiMC for everything. I hate having Minecraft in multiple places. If they made it where I can add my own personal pack (where I wouldn't need permissions), I would. Without that feature, the FTB launcher is useless to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I'll find myself using the FTB Launcher. As it is right now, I'm just using MultiMC for everything. I hate having Minecraft in multiple places. If they made it where I can add my own personal pack (where I wouldn't need permissions), I would. Without that feature, the FTB launcher is useless to me.
    Yeah the whole permissions thing is just too much of a pain in the ass to have to try and deal with. Since Forestry is off the table for inclusion in any pack I would want to create then there really isn't much point in doing so. I (as you know) use a lot of mods. Having to track down permissions for all of those just so I can distribute mods to my friends seems like a lot more work than just doing it under the table like everyone else does.

The whole issue with permissions, ownership, open-source etc etc is something that should be dealt with. Mojang should state that all mods must be freely distributed without restriction. Having something where say.. FTB can use these mods but Tekkit cannot or I can distribute these mods in my personal pack but need permission for these is dumb. I'm not sure who it really serves to restrict peoples access to them.

I like the idea of what FTB is trying to do, but I think far to many people are just going to get turned down because they lack the appropriate permissions for the inclusion of their mod pack. I think it has the chance to lead to bitterness and arguments.

What I've tried to do with my mods thread is show people how to install mods correctly, give them up to date information and download links and config files that will make it all work. It may not be as sexy as a launcher, but you end up with a lot less gray hair!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the whole permissions thing is just too much of a pain in the ass to have to try and deal with. Since Forestry is off the table for inclusion in any pack I would want to create then there really isn't much point in doing so. I (as you know) use a lot of mods. Having to track down permissions for all of those just so I can distribute mods to my friends seems like a lot more work than just doing it under the table like everyone else does.

The whole issue with permissions, ownership, open-source etc etc is something that should be dealt with. Mojang should state that all mods must be freely distributed without restriction. Having something where say.. FTB can use these mods but Tekkit cannot or I can distribute these mods in my personal pack but need permission for these is dumb. I'm not sure who it really serves to restrict peoples access to them.

I like the idea of what FTB is trying to do, but I think far to many people are just going to get turned down because they lack the appropriate permissions for the inclusion of their mod pack. I think it has the chance to lead to bitterness and arguments.

What I've tried to do with my mods thread is show people how to install mods correctly, give them up to date information and download links and config files that will make it all work. It may not be as sexy as a launcher, but you end up with a lot less gray hair!
    Haha, yeah. Thats pretty much the only reason I would use the FTB Launcher over MultiMC if they implemented personal packs, cause it's very nicely designed. I love the dark sleek look of it.

Your mod thread (and especially your Youtube series) has helped me so much with getting into Tech/Magic mods. You have renewed my love of Minecraft. I would dwell on that more but this is the FTB thread so yeah....

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 12:48 PM ----------

Interesting information regarding FTB and the upcoming 1.4.6 update:

10+ Year Old Account
    Slowpoke is currently streaming. Looks like they're working on balancing the ores.